Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2006 3:26:19 AM EDT
A lot of us - especially Sylvan - wanted a movie forum for a long time.  Now that we've got one, it isn't all that interesting.  Very little discussion actually takes place here.  It seems like in the majority of the topics in this forum, the OP posts the title of the movie he just watched, and says:  

I liked it.  How about you guys?

And that's it.  No discussion whatsoever.  Three or four people will post a 'Yes' or a '+1', and then the topic disappears for ever.  

Here's a few examples, just from page one:

Boondock Saints

Harsh Times

Anybody seen Down in the Valley?

I think we should either try to actually discuss movies a little more in depth, or we should get rid of this forum and merge back with GD.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:33:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the problem is nearly everyone posts movie topics in GD.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:55:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree with you. I am a Home Theater nut. I have a pretty elaborate HT and have designed and built HTs for others. There are also others like CM Johnson who have a lot to offer.

A while back I offered to write up a post on calibration and offered to put together a calibration disk loan program. There was no response.

There are posts that keep raising their ugly head. One that comes to mind is Full or widescreen? There is one right now with a poll. This was discussed to death a little while back from a historical and technical POV. There were even screen shots depicting a scene in P&S and WS. It showed what gets lost. The loss of resolution of watching P&S on Widescreen TVs was discussed. In short there was a lot of good content. That post should have been tacked or added to a FAQ.

The GD mods should move the movie/HT related threads to this forum.

Given my interest in HT, I should be an active particpant here. I tried to be one. I'm willing to try again but the forum needs to be re-invented.

How about a movie review program. Tack a different movie review each month or week. One that is well written and there is a lot of good discussion. By tacking it maintains visibility. It also encourages folks who would like to see one of their threads to be tacked to write substanitive reviews.

Bomber
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:04:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Why does this forum suck so much?  

Everybody is skurred.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top