Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2006 9:45:08 PM EDT
If you have the choice between the two, which do you prefer to buy?

ETA: I have always been a diehard widescreen fan, personally
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:16:56 AM EDT
[#1]
wide screen all the way. unless the movie was made before wide screen, then I have no choice but to buy the OAR
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:17:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Widescreen.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:30:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I perfer fullscreen.

Normally I use my player program to full screen it.

I also watch these on my computer
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:32:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:39:25 AM EDT
[#5]
My system is full-on widescreen.    Of course I choose widescreen format movies when available.

CJ
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:42:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Widescreen.

Yep

and it is how the eye is meant to see (vs up/down), ie: field of view

eta:

Good wiki article HERE
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Only 1 choice and thats widescreen.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Do Stanly Kubrik movies not come in widescreen? I bought Full Metal Jacke and A Clockwork Orange at Best Buy and both are P&S sized. There was no indication on the movie covers as to what they were.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:51:10 PM EDT
[#9]
This question shouldn't exist. Widescreen widescreen widescreen!
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Do Stanly Kubrik movies not come in widescreen? I bought Full Metal Jacke and A Clockwork Orange at Best Buy and both are P&S sized. There was no indication on the movie covers as to what they were.

Same with The Shining.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:16:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Actually, they don't come in widescreen....because it apparently isn't possible.

I read something about Kubrick movies and widescreen inavailibility a while ago. I'm not exactly sure why, but from what I remembered, he filmed his movies in a different ratio, and you are actually already seeing the whole thing without widescreen. Sort of the best of both worlds, actually.

Maybe someone can chime in with the specifics.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#12]
wide, or more accurately, OAR
it's how the director intended, and you get to see the full picture
full screen, and worse, pan and scan, suck balls
watch ghostbusters on comedy central sometime and you'll know what I'm talking about
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:16:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, they don't come in widescreen....because it apparently isn't possible.

I read something about Kubrick movies and widescreen inavailibility a while ago. I'm not exactly sure why, but from what I remembered, he filmed his movies in a different ratio, and you are actually already seeing the whole thing without widescreen. Sort of the best of both worlds, actually.

Maybe someone can chime in with the specifics.

yup, a lot of his movies were filmed in 4:3 (fullscreen regular tv screen ratio)
I can handle full screen if the director intended it that way
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been buying widescreen only for the past couple years or so. Planning on retiring this tv with something real nice sooner or later. Probably sooner than I planned. It's 19 yrs old and the on/off switch is headed south. Sometime I have to cycle it 3 or 4 times to get the thing to turn on.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Why would anyone prefer fullscreen????? Just because you only want to see half the picture?
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#16]
When I bought Patton on DVD in widescreen, it was like a new movie.  The battle scenes are GREAT!
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:38:55 PM EDT
[#17]
widescreen!
ever try to watch Tombstone in pan/scan
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:43:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Widescreen.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
wide, or more accurately, OAR
it's how the director intended, and you get to see the full picture
full screen, and worse, pan and scan, suck balls
watch ghostbusters on comedy central sometime and you'll know what I'm talking about

+1

Watching The Last of the Mohicans in Pan&Scan actually gives me a freakin' headache.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top