Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2006 7:13:45 AM EDT
(cheesey special effects included, of course)

Breaking out "The Stand" in all of its 4+ hour glory this weekend.

Anyone watch it before?  
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:35:14 AM EDT
[#1]
M-O-O-N! That spells "we're screwed"!

When it came on TV, I drove my crew like a madman so we could get off in time for me to get home to watch it. Rose Red is also pretty good, IMO.

Beware the Walkin' Dude...

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:05:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
M-O-O-N! That spells "we're screwed"!

When it came on TV, I drove my crew like a madman so we could get off in time for me to get home to watch it. Rose Red is also pretty good, IMO.

Beware the Walkin' Dude...

The guy who played Tom Cullen simply WAS that character.  He owned it.  And although I don't take much stock in Rob Lowe, he was a good Nick Andros.

Molly Ringworm, on the other hand (sigh...).
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:29:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I liked "The Stand" but my favorite King movie has to be "It"
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:59:00 AM EDT
[#4]
[Mother Abigail] "I got rats in my corn!" [Mother Abigail]

I loved "The Stand".

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I liked "The Stand" but my favorite King movie has to be "It"

You should read the book.   They fucked that movie up so bad, I can't even begin to explain.

Part of it was lack of budget and technology for special effects; part of it was the size of that magnum opus and the relatively short time alloted for the series.  

Part of it was casting.

I'd love to see "IT" done by a Peter Jackson with the resource level used in LOTR, but "IT" is a pure horror flick, with deaths of children and some startling story elements that would never draw an audience to justify that kind of budget.

Too bad, too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:52:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I'd love to see "IT" done by a Peter Jackson with the resource level used in LOTR, but "IT" is a pure horror flick, with deaths of children and some startling story elements that would never draw an audience to justify that kind of budget.

Too bad, too.

That would be cool.  But to this day I know people that are ascared of clowns because of that movie.  I haven't gotten to read to many of his books cause I never have the time but I think that I will have to read "It".
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:26:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Tim Curry was awesome as "Pennywise".

I thought the casting was good in the mini-series versions of It and The Stand.
(Well, except for Molly Ringworm).

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 2:35:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to read horror stories as a kid and loved it...until I stumbled on some Stephen King books.  After reading books like The Bogeyman, Jerusalem's Lot, and Lawnmower Man I was so disturbed that I wouldn't sleep with the book in the same room as me.

I think that there is something not right with Mr. King.  Because of that I haven't watched many of his movies, except Shawshank Redemption.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Too bad, too.

That would be cool.  But to this day I know people that are ascared of clowns because of that movie.  I haven't gotten to read to many of his books cause I never have the time but I think that I will have to read "It".

Then again there's those of us who didn't like clowns to begin with & "It" just confirmed what we already knew.  

The Stand wasn't bad, got kinda cheesy at the end though.
My fav SK based movie is probably Christine
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I've read The Stand several times, but have never seen the movie.  I'll put it on my netflix list tonight.  I've read almost all of his books, not many of the movies do them justice.  Christine was good even though it didnt quite follow the book, so was Shawshank Redemption and Stand by Me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've read The Stand several times, but have never seen the movie.  I'll put it on my netflix list tonight.  I've read almost all of his books, not many of the movies do them justice.  Christine was good even though it didnt quite follow the book, so was Shawshank Redemption and Stand by Me.

The stand isn't bad.   Some of the special effects arent very special, and they fucked up Fran Goldsmith's character pretty bad between Molly Ringworm and, duh, the fact they have this JEWISH woman singing "Amazing Grace."  (Fuck's sake).

There are two female chacters in the book that they sort of combined, but its done alright.  I enjoy the Stand movie quite a bit, but its very long.   Don't plan on watching it all at once.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top