Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2006 10:24:06 AM EDT
Hi all!

We just brought a Magnavox DVD recorder/player from Wally World. Model # MWR10D6 and yes, it's a cheapo.

I copied my old Red Dawn VHS to DVD and just minutes ago copied a show off the History Channel which both work.

They both are in color if I play them in the recorder/player and work fine.

However, if I play them in the Magnavox player I have in my gun room they play great, EXCEPT they are in black and white.

I've read, re-read and checked everything, even online.

Can anyone offer any insight?

TIA

Danny
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 10:26:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Its probably macrovision copy protection. It allows you to make copies. but not good copies. Its something they put on vcr tapes and other things. I don't know much about it.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 10:36:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Its probably macrovision copy protection. It allows you to make copies. but not good copies. Its something they put on vcr tapes and other things. I don't know much about it.

-Foxxz

That is a possibility I guess. The picture is excellent, just in black and white.

I'm thinking about trying to record the same show off History Channel onto a VHS and see if it's in color.

Thanks, you might be right.

Danny
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Definitely sounds like Macro.... Believe there is a cable available that can sort this....

Useful links:

Macrovision

Sonel

Mods remove if inappropriate.....
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:08:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Definitely sounds like Macro.... Believe there is a cable available that can sort this....

Useful links:

Macrovision

Sonel

Mods remove if inappropriate.....

Thanks for the input, checking it out now.

Danny
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#5]
hmm
macrovision on a bought vhs tape makes sense, but on the history channel during a broadcast?

maybe the recorder itself does something?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
hmm
macrovision on a bought vhs tape makes sense, but on the history channel during a broadcast?

maybe the recorder itself does something?

I got it working on the player that was playing it in black and white. I don't know exactly what I did to get it working but here goes:

Hooked daughters older dvd/cd player to another TV, dvd played in color there.

Unplugged s-video cable from one that played in black & white and plugged back in and checked settings on TV and player again changing nothing. Played again and was in color this time.

Now I'm totally confused, but it works for now.

Thanks to all of you who took time to help me, I appreciate it.

Danny
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top