Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2006 3:03:19 PM EDT
Need a recommendation..is it a good action movie or good story?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:09:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I liked it, good cannon ball scenes.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:18:05 PM EDT
[#3]
The opening battle and closing battle were awesome. It's the whole rest of the movie that disappointed me.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:21:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I own it, and have watched it around 4-5 times.

I enjoyed it even though it wasnt action packed it had a few decent battle scenes. I never got bored throughout the movie somehow. I'd say watch it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#6]
It's an amazing movie.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:35:34 PM EDT
[#7]
One of my personal top 5 movies!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:19:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Need a recommendation..is it a good action movie or good story?

Yes and Yes.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:42:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I liked it, and my 18th Century reenacting persona liked it even more as I picked up a couple of handsewn period correct linen shirts from the props department for about 1/3d what they sell for from the maker
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:07:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Excellant movie!! Great story line and you followed the personalities with ease.

I knew when the little blonde boy began asking questions about insects using camoflauge and stealth, it would play into the chase for the Acorn. Great movie..I am glad the Doc got to go back to the Galapagos.

I hate Crowe's politics but he can act his ass off.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:11:11 AM EDT
[#11]
good movie.

Was constantly taken out of it by Crow's soft talking.  

Uhhhh, in the middle of a battle or a rousing speech it would probably be best if the crew could hear you.

He didn't project his voice for shit.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:17:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
good movie.

Uhhhh, in the middle of a battle or a rousing speech it would probably be best if the crew could hear you.

This is very common for "pretty boys" trying to do action movies.  I can remember actors complaining about Patrick Swayze in the same way.  I guess they think that "low talking" makes them sound tough.

He's a damn good dramatic actor, but I have never found him convincing as an action guy.  Dennis Quaid would have been my pick for Gladiator - assuming I went with a big name.  He has more maturity (after all, he's like 10 years older) and the same - if not better - physical presence on screen (if you disagree, watch he first 5 minutes of "Savior.")  I can only assume Quaid must not be a lib, since he only gets shitty roles in smaller movies.

As for the movie in question - outstanding film, even though Crowe looked too blow-dried and primped for the role (but not as bad as Kevin Costner's "Robin Hood") - a common problem with Hollywood.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:14:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Politics?  I hate him because he's a raging a-hole who's prone to violence.  Throwing a phone....a regular desktop phone, not a cell phone....at a hotel clerk because he had problems getting connected to his wife long distance?  That guy has major issues.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:21:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:01:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

He's a damn good dramatic actor, but I have never found him convincing as an action guy.  

Also, who would have picked Kiefer Sutherland as an action hero?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's a damn good dramatic actor, but I have never found him convincing as an action guy.  

Also, who would have picked Kiefer Sutherland as an action hero?

Y'know, I've still yet to see "24," but nbased on his role in "Truth or Consequences, NM" I can imagine he can pull off the physical aspect quite well.

I didn't know who Russell Crowe WAS when I saw "Gladiator" in the theates, so I doubt my issue is based on previous stereotypes.  He just came across as a primped Fratboy punk, not a battle-hardened warrior.

Heck, I think Orlando Bloom did a great job playing a more physical character in "Kingdom of Heaven," so I am pretty sure I don't let an acotr's previous roles bias my thinking.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Politics?  I hate him because he's a raging a-hole who's prone to violence.  Throwing a phone....a regular desktop phone, not a cell phone....at a hotel clerk because he had problems getting connected to his wife long distance?  That guy has major issues.

That very trait is probably what make him such a great actor.

Oh, Master and Commander is very good.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:25:45 PM EDT
[#18]
What, none of you think that Bud White was a too-soft pretty boy?  Sheesh...Crowe is a fantastic actor, in both dramatic and action roles.

ETA

Master and Commander is a fantastic movie, btw.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:01:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Pretty good flick. The books are better though......
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:17:42 AM EDT
[#20]

I really liked this movie a lot, and I thought that Crowe's character displayed a lot of terrific leadership traits.  This movie could be shown in ROTC and other leadership forums with very positive results, IMO.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I think it's a rental for sure, but not quite good enough for a DVD purchase.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:03:07 PM EDT
[#22]
good movie, I bought the DVD
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:59:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I liked it.

Max
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:20:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Anybody got a MP3 or wav file of the song they were singing in the captain's cabin? Good drinking song

".......don't forget your old shipmates, raly raly raly ra yo.......!"

Or something like that.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:19:23 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
good movie.

This is very common for "pretty boys" trying to do action movies.  I can remember actors complaining about Patrick Swayze in the same way.  I guess they think that "low talking" makes them sound tough.

He's a damn good dramatic actor, but I have never found him convincing as an action guy.  Dennis Quaid would have been my pick for Gladiator - assuming I went with a big name.  He has more maturity (after all, he's like 10 years older) and the same - if not better - physical presence on screen (if you disagree, watch he first 5 minutes of "Savior.")  I can only assume Quaid must not be a lib, since he only gets shitty roles in smaller movies.

As for the movie in question - outstanding film, even though Crowe looked too blow-dried and primped for the role (but not as bad as Kevin Costner's "Robin Hood") - a common problem with Hollywood.

Did you know quaid has annorexia and crowe fucked his wife? I'm dead serious
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:51:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Liked the movie a lot and have the DVD

Since I sail, I really enjoyed the use of old sailing terms
and the function of the crew and ship.

GM
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:03:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Did you know quaid has annorexia and crowe fucked his wife? I'm dead serious

I had no idea.  I think the last movie I saw him in was "Frequency" and he looked normal then.  I'm not exactly the type to stay up on celebrity gossip.  Crowe fucked Quaid's wife?  That's fucked up - I hope he dumped the bitch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top