Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 11:30:10 PM EDT
This movie is very similar to the the movie "Wrong Turn." Except instead of a group of friends it is a family on a trailer style road trip. This time the events take place in the desert. It said New Mexico, but it looked more like Southern Nevada, or in Southern California high desert.

The people I thought would survive ended up dead. Including a lot of the women. I found myself pushing the seat in front of me with my foot at some of the scenes due to my survivalist mentality. Interesting thing is they aren't your typical group of drug addict drunken kids. It is a family. You even see them pray before they take off to try to find help... Kind of humanizes the characters and makes it harder to see them die.

The leader of the group brought some weapons which did little for them due to lack of any semblence of training. In other words, your typical gun owners.

Definately worth renting when it comes out. Not so much for the movie itself, but for the guteral feelings you take home from it. At one point, the most articulate of the freaks explain their actions against regular people. About how it is all their fault. I couldn't help but think that the same bitch session was the same the muslims use.  I was glad to see him die a painful death...

The audio was pretty good in the theater. Gunshots sounded like gunshots.

Worst part for me personally is I go camping out  in the middle of BFE that looks exactly like the backdrop of that movie, and not at your family KOA campground either.

Plenty of BS in the movie though. Complete disreguard to any mention of tactics. Even common sense stuff like establishing some sort site observation is thrown out the window.

I was expecting a much worse movie really. So I was surprised that it was decent.

-Steve
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:38:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw it too and I had the same problem with Dawn of the Dead. I kept thinking of how I would do it and what they where doing wrong. Like the whole elaborate trap they made in the trailer, they had Him secured they should have just shot him. I did like the use of the german shepard however.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:59:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Huh, ill have to check it out, maybe after I see, V
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:00:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, I disliked that also. I thought he had a "clip and a half" left?

I liked the love being dished out with the blunt end of the 12 gauge.

I was hoping the tactical jew was going to start sweeping the town with a box full of shells. Men, Women and children. Just start dusting them all.

-Steve
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:31:03 AM EDT
[#4]
was this a remake or based on an australian movie with this title?
From the scenes and your review it reminds me of a made for tv movie about a family that happens on some ghost town in the southwest desert where there were spirits, or something, cult like mutants or something that was traced back to the atomic bomb experiements, the gal lori from the partige family was in that. it was good enough for a made for tv movie.
Anyhow I rented wrong turn simply because it was suppossed to be based in a county in south eastern wv, not all that far from here. It's was tolerable, but as I expected they had geography and all the locals wrong.
But this hills had eyes previews seemed good for some reason, even though I'm not a big modern horror fan.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I saw it yesterday.  I liked the part where the dad tells his one son that his pussy son-in-law "is a democrat so he doesn't like guns."  

The son, who starts the movie okay, comes unhinged towards the end and becomes functionally useless most of the time.  Guess that is due to his young age and the fact that he sees most of his family snuffed.

Good pick-ax technique was displayed by all.

Gun handling sucked.  If you are limited to a mag and a half for your pistol, and a freak is chasing you wanting to eat you (maybe he thinks you taste better than your mom?), I think the plant and aim technique works better than spray and pray over your shoulder as you are running away.

Situational awareness sucked also.  When there are two or three of you in open terrain, and you don't know where they are, or where they are going to come from, it's always best to circle the wagons, go back to back, and turn slowly in a 360 so they don't surprise you.

Bad training and use of the german shepards.  Probably the most valuable asset they had, and they were undisciplined (always running off) and would be better used as an early warning system.  That aspect was not thought of or maybe they were just dumb german shepards? One of them redeemed himself a few times in the second half of the movie though.

The son-in-law also redeems himself by rescuing the baby and wiping out most of the freaks.  Maybe he'll change his views on gun control now?

All non-freak women were hot and doable.  Especially the the older daughter.  Nice use of the nursing-the-freak-with-breastmilk cinematic technique.  I don't blame the freak a bit for wanting to indulge!

You can usually tell who is going to live and die in these movies, but as other have stated this one throws you curve balls.  Daddy dies because he is a bully to the son-in-law.  Mommy dies because of her "hippy" past.  I thought youngest daughter was going to buy it because of her "princess attitude" but was surprised she survived.

It generally followed the original movie pretty well.  Some stuff was added to update it and the special FX were 30 years better.  I noticed that Wes Craven produced it and I think he directed the original.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:43:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Just got back from this one. Don't really have much to add as it looks like everyone covered most points in the movie. One of the better gore flicks I've seen lately though. Loved the democrat comment too!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
was this a remake or based on an australian movie with this title?

Kinda sorta remake of this 1977 gem

www.imdb.com/title/tt0077681/
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:19:26 AM EDT
[#8]
that's what I thought.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#9]
This movie blew donkey balls, don't waste your time.  

First, who in there right mind gets off the highway and then takes a dirt path to get to Cali.  No one in there right mind would do that.   Second, all 4 of your tires are shredded, doesn't that tell you something.  Third, the kid points a loaded pistol at the brother in law.  That is just in the first few minutes.  Let alone the horrible tatics, lack of use of high ground, the brother in law turning into superhuman father man to get his kid back and instead of shooting the bad guy with shotgun, beats him with it, then lets the fucker live to be attacked yet again.  

Don't waste your time and money on this movie it will just piss you off.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top