BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 12:59:45 AM EDT
Well, what did you guys think?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:15:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Eh.

I think what ruined it for me was watching Johnny Cash at San Quentin.  They showed a close up of Johnny Cash and then cut immediately to a commercial for Walk the Line.  

Joaquin Pheonix is way too purty to play Johnny Cash.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:10:49 AM EDT
[#2]
i think we are going to see it tonight at the dollar theater--i will report back
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:32:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Loved it
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Thumbs up.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#5]
It rocked, watching it again tonight I think.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#6]

i really liked it--great acting AND music--i knew very little about johnny cash before this--im gonna have to download some music  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:18:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Reese
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I watched it on DVD the other night and it was staggeringly uncompelling. Johhny Cash was one-of-a-kind -- an icon and a legend -- yet this film was little more than a retelling of the same tired old story with nothing -- except for Joaquin Phoenix's eerily on-target vocals -- even slightly hinting at the complexity and talent of the real Cash. Reese Witherspoon couldn't have been more irritating if she'd tried.

If you're going to even start a project like this, knowing you'll have to make compromises, omissions and end up with less than the whole, if not real story, why even bother, except to make a quick buck? Some fine musicianship on display but, seriously -- this could have been about anybody in the music business at the time. Johnny's "Hurt" video, made shortly before June's death (and his own, of course) said more in three minutes than this film did in two hours. I dare you to watch it without getting choked up.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I liked Ray more,however i still thought it was a pretty good movie.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:05:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Fox and Friends first was saying Joaquin should've won best actor since Jamie Foxx won for Ray and he was lip synching. Joaquin Phoenix was dead-on Johnny Cash and did it with a hare lip!

I loved the movie in the theaters and now own the DVD.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:54:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I really liked it.  Good performances from all in the movie.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:04:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Enjoyable film.

Phoenix wasn't dead on Cash though.  Listen to Johnny's early stuff and then listen to Phoenix's vocals.  Quite a difference.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top