Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 12:43:53 PM EDT
Anyone here seen the movie Crash? Saw some thread on it in the general discussion but figured the topic would be more appropriate here.

Those who saw it, what did you think of it?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought it was excellent.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Predictable and silly.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I was pretty blown away by it. Great script I thought. Someone had said that in the other thread -- predictable -- I thought it was almost opposite. Thanks for the replies
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Loved it.  Need to watch it again this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:51:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Hated it,  it was way to predictable and convienient. I also thought it didn't spend enough time with the caracter for me to care about them. The acting was good though, esp. Matt Dillon
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Really liked it and the cute detective lady showed her boobs(whats not to like)!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I liked it, but I do not think it would be good for a second or third go round.  It wasn't so much predictable that you knew what was going to happen, but that everything that happened was not a surprise or caused you to go DUH.  IT has a couple classic lines it.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Really liked it and the cute detective lady showed her boobs(whats not to like)!

Jennifer Esposito=SMOKIN' HOT!!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:36:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jennifer Esposito=SMOKIN' HOT!!!

She is somkin' hot

I thought the movie was good, but not great.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:04:36 PM EDT
[#10]
as said predictable , but worth watching
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I thought it was pretty good.  I liked the beginning where the two black dudes were whining about how everyone treats them like criminals just because they're black..........just before they commit armed robbery.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#12]
The movie was very thought-provoking and dripped with irony. Predictable? Give me a break... the scene where the Iranian shoots the Mexican child? If that scene doesn't rip your heart out you don't have one.

And I must have missed the part where the gun store clerk sold the guy's daughter blank ammo.

The thing that really amazes me is the Academy awarded an Oscar to a movie that actually deserved one.

It's a great movie.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:23:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The movie was very thought-provoking and dripped with irony. Predictable? Give me a break... the scene where the Iranian shoots the Mexican child? If that scene doesn't rip your heart out you don't have one.

As soon as the dad talked about his invisible bulletproof coat you didn't realize that she was going to get shot at?  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As soon as the dad talked about his invisible bulletproof coat you didn't realize that she was going to get shot at?  

I mean I guess you could have predicted it but to me it was just the dad trying to make her feel safe in this new neighborhood, the kid already had a bullet go through her window, seemed more like a calming thing than anything. I agree with panzersergeant. That scene with the kid getting shot at was so heartwrenching. I cry every time I watch that scene. Plus the ammo is scene is supposed to be something we don't pick up on, Later on we are like ohhh thats why the guy asked if she was buying the right thing, she wanted blanks, It was so well put together. I want to watch it again now haha.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't watch a lot of movies. I mostly like war movies and westerns. War movies and westerns are always  predictable, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching them.

I guess if you stop and think about it, all movies are predictable. That in itself doesn't make a movie bad. We expect the good guy to get the girl and win in the end. If the movie ends any other way we are left feeling unfulfilled and dissatisfied.

I thought Crash was good. Oscar did too.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:27:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I mean I guess you could have predicted it but to me it was just the dad trying to make her feel safe in this new neighborhood, the kid already had a bullet go through her window, seemed more like a calming thing than anything. I agree with panzersergeant. That scene with the kid getting shot at was so heartwrenching. I cry every time I watch that scene. Plus the ammo is scene is supposed to be something we don't pick up on, Later on we are like ohhh thats why the guy asked if she was buying the right thing, she wanted blanks, It was so well put together. I want to watch it again now haha.

Sorry you cry over spilled milk, but that was what is known as foreshadowing.  Character one buys a gun in scene x.  Character two says something about getting shot in another scene.  Likelihood of these two folks' lives intersecting in this picture?  100%.  Yeah, I was curious for a minute if she was actually going to be shot, but I got punched again when I said "I bet he missed" to my co-watcher.  (The first time was 2 minutes in when I said "I bet it's his brother.")
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Great movie!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:16:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Very predictable and I felt like it was an ACLU propaganda film. I just dont like any type of propaganda at all on any subject.  I dont like being told what I should believe or told what is right or wrong.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry you cry over spilled milk, but that was what is known as foreshadowing.  Character one buys a gun in scene x.  Character two says something about getting shot in another scene.  Likelihood of these two folks' lives intersecting in this picture?  100%.  Yeah, I was curious for a minute if she was actually going to be shot, but I got punched again when I said "I bet he missed" to my co-watcher.  (The first time was 2 minutes in when I said "I bet it's his brother.")

I think we have to keep in mind that we can't lose sight of why we are watching a film ... because thats what it is. It's a heart wrenching scene and you are only going to get the most out of it if you go into it that way. If you are sitting there and unwilling to realize that you are watching a film and just enjoy the story that is being laid out in front of you ... wel then you'll be sitting there saying how predictable it is. Hey a human being wrote the script didn't he, we are all humans, and we all think along the same lines. Plus I understand the point of foreshadowing thank you very much, don't need it explained, its about taking in the magic of the movie and knowing it was foreshadowing it but it doesn't take away from the moment that he goes to shoot the girl, and the scene between the daughter and father is supposed to come back into your head. Not you shouting about how you knew it because of x y and z and the probability of it coming together. So it's a rant, oh well.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:12:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I think we have to keep in mind that we can't lose sight of why we are watching a film ... because thats what it is. It's a heart wrenching scene and you are only going to get the most out of it if you go into it that way. If you are sitting there and unwilling to realize that you are watching a film and just enjoy the story that is being laid out in front of you ... wel then you'll be sitting there saying how predictable it is. Hey a human being wrote the script didn't he, we are all humans, and we all think along the same lines. Plus I understand the point of foreshadowing thank you very much, don't need it explained, its about taking in the magic of the movie and knowing it was foreshadowing it but it doesn't take away from the moment that he goes to shoot the girl, and the scene between the daughter and father is supposed to come back into your head. Not you shouting about how you knew it because of x y and z and the probability of it coming together. So it's a rant, oh well.

Considering that most movies I see aren't that predictable, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Crash was poorly written in that regards.  If you weren't cognizant enough to catch the little plot points as they occured, well, sorry to hear that.   It's rare that I can predict that much of a movie that accurately.  Inspite of some movies being predictable, that doesn't make some of them less enjoyable.  Crash, on the other hand, was taking itself so seriously it missed the realm of believability by a wide margin.  Contrived seems to subtle an adjective to describe the flick.

Also you should know enough than to think I'd yell in a movie.  Or I would hope you do.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Considering that most movies I see aren't that predictable, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Crash was poorly written in that regards.  If you weren't cognizant enough to catch the little plot points as they occured, well, sorry to hear that.   It's rare that I can predict that much of a movie that accurately.  Inspite of some movies being predictable, that doesn't make some of them less enjoyable.  Crash, on the other hand, was taking itself so seriously it missed the realm of believability by a wide margin.  Contrived seems to subtle an adjective to describe the flick.

Also you should know enough than to think I'd yell in a movie.  Or I would hope you do.

no offense to be taken, i meant the yelling out to just be a figure of speech not that you were literally yelling out. I hear your points and believe me I know others feel the same way, was just sticking up to what the others as well as myself believes in, that it was a very well written script. Without all the foreshadowing etc it wouldn't have been but I really don't think it was obvious to the point that it was overkill. Seems liek the film is a hate or love it sort of deal. Sorry to be touchy about it, its just made me angry that people are bashing it so much and yet it won the Oscar. I know that doesn't mean much to people and usually doesn't for me either but it was just surprising for me to see a film I felt deserved to win, actually win, and so I've been responsive to criticism on it.

Really didn't mean for that post to be personal or anything. Sorry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top