Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2006 7:06:29 AM EDT
I ran a search and didn't see anything posted about this movie.

Wife and I watched this saturday night.  I came away with many feelings.  Unfortunately the overwhelming feeling was one of awe for the stupidity of a group of people.  Obviously #1 was Treadwell himself.  He seemed out of touch with the reality of the situation.  He claimed he was protecting the bears yet nothing in the movie or the "critique" by his friends that followed ever showed any definative proof of the "threat" to these bears.  The movie stated he did this for 13 years.  I don't understand how he went for 13 years acting the way he did around the bears and didn't get eaten sooner.  Herzog (the film-maker/narrator) tries to conjure up a "reflection of the human condition" theme from the whole thing but all I got was a guy who at the least had self-destructive tendancies and at worst had an outright deathwish.  The group of 4-5 friends of Treadwell who did the critique at the end were every bit as bad as him.  They were adamant that he didn't have a deathwish but couldn't offer any rational explanation for his behaviour.  Also another thing the movie brought out was that Treadwell was a liar.  They never really addressed all the deceptive things he said and did other than to say "nobody can hold up to the scrutiny of being videotaped".  I really wish I could write this whole thing off to the liberal mindset but I know many liberal folks that can't hold a candle to the stupidity represented in this film.  This is my first post of this length and really didn't mean to be so long winded but I would like to know if others who have seen this film felt like me.  If you disagree please feel free to blast me for being an uncaring SOB.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:14:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Worst Movie EVER!!

He said he was the only one protecting the animals, but when picture takers throw rocks at the bears he hid behind a bush and cried about it, but did nothing to stop it. He got what he deserved.
IMO
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:47:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I had seen a Discovery Channel show featuring him probably a year or so before his death. Pretty amazing! I'll agree there seemed he was too close to the griz's too many times, but it sure seemed he knew quite a bit about them.

Then he was killed (finally?) and all the greenies came out praising him. That's when I decided maybe this movie was about greenies trying to feel better about themselves. I don't intend to watch this movie, unless I catch it on cable somewhere, sometime.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I had seen a Discovery Channel show featuring him probably a year or so before his death. Pretty amazing! I'll agree there seemed he was too close to the griz's too many times, but it sure seemed he knew quite a bit about them.

Then he was killed (finally?) and all the greenies came out praising him. That's when I decided maybe this movie was about greenies trying to feel better about themselves. I don't intend to watch this movie, unless I catch it on cable somewhere, sometime.

That's what I thought initially, but it's nothing like that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:44:38 AM EDT
[#4]
He's been getting trashed for 2-3 days in GD
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmm..maybe I'll reconsider. Did you like it?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:40:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmm..maybe I'll reconsider. Did you like it?

Treadwell was a total screwball, but the footage he took of bears and foxes in the wild is fascinating. Herzog did a very good job with the documentary and points out some of Treadwell's craziest moments.

Treadwell's  paranoid rants about all those who "were out to get him" are also entertaining. He was obviously nuts to begin with, and staying out in the woods by himself for months didn't seem to help his situation.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Guess maybe I'll pick it up then. Sounds like good photography with a touch of "humor."
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:36:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
He's been getting trashed for 2-3 days in GD

days years.  I remember laughing at the articles from 2003.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top