Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 12:33:50 PM EDT
IMDb

Plot Summary for The Omega Man (1971)
Robert Neville, a doctor,due to an experimental vaccine, is the only survivor of an apocalyptic war waged with biological weapons. The plague caused by the war has killed everyone else except for a few hundred deformed, nocturnal people calling themselves "The Family". The plague has caused them to become sensitive to light, as well as homicidally psychotic. They believe science and technology to be the cause of the war and their punishment, and Neville, as the last symbol of science, the old world, and a "user of the wheel", must die. Neville, using electricty, machinery, and science attempts to hold them at bay.

I'm watching this right now. Pretty cool so far. I thought it was more "zombies" than the people afflicted with the "plague" or whatever. Another movie I picked up per a recommendation on here.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#1]
The Omega man is a classic.

I dig the S&W 76 and BAR

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:48:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Excellent, Charlton Heston was an ideal choice as the grizzled loner ....

Have it on DVD somewhere...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:56:07 PM EDT
[#3]
That is one of my all time favorite films along with the original "mechanic"

Taffy
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I liked this one better than Soylent Green.

I think it would have been cool if they ended it with his blood in the fountain somehow curing all of the infected people.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I liked this movie so much I bought a S&W 76 so I could have the gun Charlton Heston used in the Omega Man.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:33:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I liked this movie so much I bought a S&W 76 so I could have the gun Charlton Heston used in the Omega Man.

Did you rig up the old skool flashlight mount also?

One of my favorite SciFi movies, much better than Soylent Green or Planet Of The Apes IMHO.  

Bob McKenzie <Strange Brew>: I was the last one left after the nuclear holocaust, eh. The whole world had been destroyed, like U.S. blew up Russia and Russia blew up U.S. Fortunately, I had been offworld at the time. There wasn't much to do. All the bowling alleys had been wrecked. So's I spent most of my time looking for beer.
I was like a one-man army, like Charlton Heston in "Omega Man." You ever see it? Beauty. <Bob McKenzie>
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:53:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Definately a CH classic.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:00:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow ... i remember seeing that when I was a kid. One of those films that got me hooked on apocalyptic scenarios and having guns and shelter with lots of stuff for survival.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:02:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:15:57 AM EDT
[#10]
The Omega Man is based off a short story called "I am Legend". The zombies are vampires in the book. The movie was made previously with Vincent Price in the lead, and is currently being remade again with Either Will Smith or Mark Wahlberg in the lead.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:32:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The Omega Man is based off a short story called "I am Legend". The zombies are vampires in the book. The movie was made previously with Vincent Price in the lead, and is currently being remade again with Either Will Smith or Mark Wahlberg in the lead.

Here it is... doesnt have anyone listed for cast though.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here it is... doesnt have anyone listed for cast though.

Please, please....anybody but *&%$@ Will Smith or Markie Mark Wahlburg.

Is the proposed movie in question to be a remake of the Heston "Omega Man" or is it going to be closer to the book or the Vincent Price "The Last man On Earth"?

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:14:03 PM EDT
[#13]
IF it has that wallberg clown - it will go over like the PLanet of apes remake!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:32:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
IF it has that wallberg clown - it will go over like the PLanet of apes remake!!

Surely the people making this movie have to recognize that. Personally I don't think Smith in I.Robot was all that great either. Or Smith in Wild, Wild, West... Or Independence Day... or...

He's ok to watch in some movies, espcially MIB. The chemistry (or lack of) between him and TL Jones was hilarious. Too bad the second movie tried so hard to recreate that and failed so miserably.

I'd rather see a middle-aged guy than a young guy in this role. I'm sick of the "young genius" exception so they can put some young actor in a role.

Of course the solution to that problem, in some cases, has been Kevin Costner... which can be a kiss of death for a movie.

How about Kevin Spacey?
Liam Neeson?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:39:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:42:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I recently read (reread) the book it's based on. It has a strong Cold War influence, but it's still interesting.

It's a great book.  A really great book.

The Last Man on Earth (link) with Vincent Price was also based on the same book.

Quoted:

Sweet Jesus, tell me that's not true.  Holy Fuck, don't let Hollywood ruin more of what I hold dear.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I'd rather see a middle-aged guy than a young guy in this role. I'm sick of the "young genius" exception so they can put some young actor in a role.

Of course the solution to that problem, in some cases, has been Kevin Costner... which can be a kiss of death for a movie.

How about Kevin Spacey?
Liam Neeson?

Gary Sinise?  Though he's already done a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI movie ("The Stand" miniseries).
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Look at the other stuff the director has done: music videos!  I'm already giving this one the seal of disapproval.

There have been some other movies directed by music video directors that turned out pretty well.
The Cell, IMHO, was pretty cool. Visuals that movie were awesome.
I can't think of any others off the top of my head now...

Quoted:
Gary Sinise?  Though he's already done a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI movie ("The Stand" miniseries).

How about Tom Hanks. Or are we looking for a tough guy like Heston?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Tom Selleck

or

Sam Elliott
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Equally important... who would play Matthias?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:44:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about Kevin Spacey?
Liam Neeson?

+1 on Gary Sinise in that role!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:01:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Knowing Hollyweird....Hopper or Walken.

Gary Oldman?

re Neville:

I could see Hanks pulling it off.  The part would combine what he did in "Cast Away" (isolation, loneliness, etc) & he's capable of realistic action (the VN segment of "Forrest Gump", "Saving Private Ryan").  

What about soul sista' Lisa?    Vivica Fox?  Gabrielle Union?

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:23:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gary Oldman?

re Neville:

I could see Hanks pulling it off.  The part would combine what he did in "Cast Away" (isolation, loneliness, etc) & he's capable of realistic action (the VN segment of "Forrest Gump", "Saving Private Ryan").  

In the book Neville is like 6'2" or 6'3" and a is built pretty big.  I can't see Hanks working for that.  He's (Neville) a pretty big dude.  The Last Man on Earth was a closer adaptation of the book as far as plot goes but Heston is more like Robert Neville in the book at least.  Some little twerp won't work I don't think.

And in the book, the chick is a slender redhead.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:14:40 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gary Oldman?

re Neville:

In the book Neville is like 6'2" or 6'3" and a is built pretty big.  I can't see Hanks working for that.  He's (Neville) a pretty big dude.  The Last Man on Earth was a closer adaptation of the book as far as plot goes but Heston is more like Robert Neville in the book at least.  Some little twerp won't work I don't think.

There's not that many actors that could pull off the tall tough guy bit & be believable as a labcoat science-guy.

How about Neal McDonough (Buck Compton from Band Of Brothers).  He was in a short lived CSI clone show as a doc & has shown he can do action in BOB.

And in the book, the chick is a slender redhead.

Not a problem for me, I like both...
Gina Torres (Zoe in Firefly/Serenity) would work as a compromise being a somewhat redbone black gal.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's not that many actors that could pull off the tall tough guy bit & be believable as a labcoat science-guy.

How about Neal McDonough (Buck Compton from Band Of Brothers).  He was in a short lived CSI clone show as a doc & has shown he can do action in BOB.

In The Last Man on Earth he was a scientist type guy but in the book he wasn't.  He collects a bunch of science and medical books and some stuff like microscopes but he has to go through this period of research and learning on his own (after the vampire plague).   He wasn't a scientist to begin with.  That's the book though.

Still, I know what you mean.  It's hard for many actors to pull of the brains and brawn thing well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top