Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2006 5:12:22 PM EDT
I LOVE this movie. In my opinion it could have been 3 hours longer and been even better still. A total end of the world story, with a twist.

Hell, the convoy heading towards London could have been an hour long segement in itself.

Does anyone else love this hidden gem?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought it was great.

I don't know why it got shitty reviews. I guess it was an aquired taste.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I never seen all of it, just parts of it
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:21:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Loved it too. The dragon design will soon be incorporated into some art I'm having done.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:43:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Really good flick.....I'm going to ebay to buy it now. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I love this movie too.

"Remember those American Marines?  Yeah, they killed a lot of dragons in their day, but they damn near destroyed the world doing it."

Not an exact quote, but I always thought that was awesome.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:32:49 PM EDT
[#6]
...and of course the ass-kick'n dragon slayers were Kentucky National Gaurd.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:40:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Odd man out here.  I thought it was absolutelty stupid.  The movie had a ton of potential but they didn't do anything with it.....
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought this awhile back (was a good price and I love movies) and I liked it!  Seen it a couple times!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:31:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Former Marines.  And joined the guard after they were discharged
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:45:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Odd man out here.  I thought it was absolutelty stupid.  The movie had a ton of potential but they didn't do anything with it.....

+1  I rank it right up there with Battlefield Earth.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:50:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought it was enjoyable mind-numbing flick, but not great.  A nice start for Christian Bale's move into leading man roles at any rate.  Worth a rental.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:12:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Former Marines.  And joined the guard after they were discharged

Suuuuuuure.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:56:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

That's the exact reason that I thought it could have been 3 hours longer and it would have been even better. Too many scenes that never got fleshed out, in my opinion.
A damn good flick nonethteless.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:31:40 AM EDT
[#14]
It was good, could have been better.

Overall, I enjoyed it.  One of the better dragon flicks on the market.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
One of the better dragon flicks on the market.

One of the local movie reviewers where I lived when this movie was released said something to the tune of "What were you expecting, Marlon Brando doing method acting out of these people? It's a dragon movie, and it's good for what it is."

Thought that summed it up nicely.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#16]
It was a good movie. I cant believe how much that Matt Mcwhaterver guy bulked up for the role. He was fucking huge
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It was a good movie. I cant believe how much that Matt Mcwhaterver guy bulked up for the role. He was fucking huge

The part that ruined the movie for me was at the end when his charachter jumps off the building....onto what?   Oh, to get eaten, that's it.  Stupid scene.

The rest I liked.  My wife even liked it, but that doesn't count becuase she thinks  Matthew M. is hot.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The part that ruined the movie for me was at the end when his charachter jumps off the building....onto what?   Oh, to get eaten, that's it.  Stupid scene.

The rest I liked.  My wife even liked it, but that doesn't count becuase she thinks  Matthew M. is hot.

Ya you would expect him to do something awesome and instead he dies quick. The fucker is huge though compared to his current state and he isnt small now.  Ya my g/f likes him too...
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:48:48 PM EDT
[#19]
i liked it. you hav to have the right mindset, kinda like when you watch alien vs predator you know you arnt gonna see some amazing plots or acting. set your mind to blood and gore sit back and enjoy the carnage.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I only saw it once, in theaters, but I liked it
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I thought it was OK but could have been better, seen it twice I believe. Worth a watch but I wished it would have been better.

A Part 2 that has a bit more to it would be nice.

Quoted:
i liked it. you hav to have the right mindset, kinda like when you watch alien vs predator you know you arnt gonna see some amazing plots or acting. set your mind to blood and gore sit back and enjoy the carnage.

I watched half of AVP, then stopped to watch something more interesting, it bored me for some reason.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I need to watch this again, I saw it once and I thought it sucked.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:10:23 AM EDT
[#24]
I saw it in the $ 5 bin at wal mart last night, check that before ebay maybe.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#25]
The premise had potential, but I thought the movie was bad.

First of all, when the dragon attacked the convoy, the .50 machinegun would have made short work of it.  Somehow dragons are immune to .50 bullets but susceptible to harpoons?  The dragon isn't plate armored.  A .30 machinegun should have been enough to bring it down.

Secondly, there's only one dragon found at the beginning of the movie, and it's male.  Where did all the female dragons come from?

Also, where do they get so much fuel for their convoy?  Especially considering that they use a chopper.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:54:26 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

First of all, when the dragon attacked the convoy, the .50 machinegun would have made short work of it.  Somehow dragons are immune to .50 bullets but susceptible to harpoons?  The dragon isn't plate armored.  A .30 machinegun should have been enough to bring it down.

Secondly, there's only one dragon found at the beginning of the movie, and it's male.  Where did all the female dragons come from?

Also, where do they get so much fuel for their convoy?  Especially considering that they use a chopper.

So, the director didn't quick make the "suspend disbelief" threshold, eh?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:53:24 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, the director didn't quick make the "suspend disbelief" threshold, eh?

I know, I know.  As a fantasy geek you'd think that suspending disbelief should be second nature for me.  Like I said, the movie had potential but was done so poorly that I noticed these obvious things.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#28]
I liked it. Thought the chopper pilot was HOT.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Me too, who was that?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#30]
I thought the dragons were the best I've ever seen. My favorite scene is when they first get back to London and you see a huge "flock" of dragons flying away and then the HUGE male dragon comes out, dwarfing the others.

The rest of the movie more or less blew. I expected it, based on the poster, to be a losing battle in London against a rising dragon population... with Apache helicopters... again, like in the movie poster. Very misleading.

I can't stand the Matthew McConaughey. I think he's a terrible actor. Christian Bale rocks but that movie hardly took advantage of his acting ability.

Maybe D-War will give what Reign of Fire was sorely lacking.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Maybe D-War will give what Reign of Fire was sorely lacking.

Looks kind of ghey to me but ya never know.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:47:57 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Looks kind of ghey to me but ya never know.

Well, Reign of Fire looked sweet and it ended up being more or less ghey. So maybe it would be the reverse in this case. But I see what you mean... it has a Sci-Fi picture original movie cheesey look to it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:06:24 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
...it has a Sci-Fi picture original movie cheesey look to it.

It sure does

The other reason I question it is because they have been in "Production" sence 1999 It is not like the dragons are that realistic looking that it would take seven years to make, so what the hell is takeing it so long?  Perhaps debating if it should go to the big screen or right to DVD...

But like I said before, ya never know
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
It sure does
The other reason I question it is because they have been in "Production" sence 1999 It is not like the dragons are that realistic looking that it would take seven years to make, so what the hell is takeing it so long?  Perhaps debating if it should go to the big screen or right to DVD...
But like I said before, ya never know

Yeah... now I'm wondering if it's still something they plan on releasing. The preview didn't even seem like it was finished... no music or anything. Pretty random scene changes.

I think Reign of Fire would have been cool if it started out the way it did and lasted a little longer and then fast forwarded a few months to where the world is still fighting them, but losing bad...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:48:26 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
but losing bad...

But then it wouldn't be a happy ending, you need a happy ending, they do it for the Childeren...

I hate happy endings.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I LOVE this movie. In my opinion it could have been 3 hours longer and been even better still. A total end of the world story, with a twist.

Hell, the convoy heading towards London could have been an hour long segement in itself.

Does anyone else love this hidden gem?

I also thought the movie was quite under-rated.

I enjoyed the concept, the production was good, and the acting was decent to above average.

No Expert
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:18:14 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Izabella Scorupco

www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0253556/Ss/0253556/RFC-7569.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Scorupco,%20Izabella
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

yeah me too
there needed to be way more dragon killing
a prequel of some of the huge fights would be cool
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:34:04 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

The rest of the movie more or less blew. I expected it, based on the poster, to be a losing battle in London against a rising dragon population... with Apache helicopters... again, like in the movie poster. Very misleading.

my thoughts exactly
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top