Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2006 5:04:10 PM EDT
Wow.  Amazing film.  Death by coup stick is a bad way to go.

Bonus points for being a chick flick as well.  Girls love this one a lot more than Dances With Wolves, et al.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:14:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Great movie, great soundtrack, great cinematography!!

Always watch it when it shows up on TV.

Hawkeye is the .

You know that is a Michael Mann production?

MM is da man!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#2]
One of my all-time favorites.

Dammit. Now I have to go watch the end again.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#4]

The soundtrack is excellent also.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#5]
my favorite movie of all time.

last week the wife picked up the new DVD version. no special features but it is in DTS and 5.1 and the picture has been cleaned up quite a bit. my original DVD is in pro-logic2 and is a bit grainy especially the subtitles.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I loved the film, don't get me wrong.

But as far as keeping with Cooper's leterary masterpiece, I think they were way off.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Goof flick. Quality fight scenes. The battle with the english and the indians on both sides of the field was one of the best movie battle scenes ever. I remeber seeing it in the theater for the first time saying "shit" to myself over and over.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:24:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Seems like Wes Studi (Magua - the malevolent Huron Warrior) always plays the "Bad Indian" roles.

I didn't know it when I saw the movie the first time, but Wes is full blooded Cherokee.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The soundtrack is excellent also.

One of my favorites.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Great movie, great soundtrack, great cinematography!!

Always watch it when it shows up on TV.

Hawkeye is the .

You know that is a Michael Mann production?

MM is da man!

Yeah, I noticed that.  Michael Mann is responsible for quite a few excellent films.

And you know a soundtrack is good when you hear just a snippet of it and know exactly what movie its from, ex: Braveheart, LOTR, Mohicans, Gladiator, Dances With Wolves... (lots of score Oscars in that group)
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:01:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Seems like Wes Studi (Magua - the malevolent Huron Warrior) always plays the "Bad Indian" roles.

tinypic.com/k3xcmh.jpg

I didn't know it when I saw the movie the first time, but Wes is full blooded Cherokee.

And he fought in Vietnam!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:02:44 PM EDT
[#12]
pretty good book, when i read it in school
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:54:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Quality fight scenes. The battle with the english and the indians on both sides of the field was one of the best movie battle scenes ever.

+1

This is one movie that definitely should not be seen in Fullscreen (Pan and Scan) format.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:32:11 AM EDT
[#14]
One of the very few movies I can watch over and over again and not get tired of.

Have you ever felt you were born a couple hundred years late while watching it?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:28:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
One of the very few movies I can watch over and over again and not get tired of.

Feel that way about a few movies. BoB included.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:26:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not me.
I like (in no particular order)
Indoor plumbing
Modern medicine
Clean women
Central Heat.
Not having to worry about being hacked to death while in battle.

Nothing like a hard dose of reality to snap you out of a good fantasy.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
One of my all-time favorites.

Dammit. Now I have to go watch the end again.

I noticed the end is 'different' now.  They ramble on and on and try to juice up the finish.  And the 'Graveyard' scene is not the same; not as much electricity or something.  

It (the DVD) was so different that I just had to google up some discussion about this movie and came up with widespread discontent over the new edition.  One guy ordered the "European" version from the British amazon, and said it was the origional version.  That's the one I want.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#19]
great movie.  Very interesting era of warfare.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I loved the film, don't get me wrong.

But as far as keeping with Cooper's leterary masterpiece, I think they were way off.

Way way off… they took Hawkeye and turned the character on its head.

A great movie but a poor representation of the book.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:32:21 PM EDT
[#21]
"Mohican Vice"
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:22:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I never cared for some of the fighting scenes, particularly how the indians ran across the fields or through the woods in plain view and tomahawked 1 of the soliders in formation that soldier and all the others did nothing.
I enjoyed the scenery though, made in the mountains of western nc.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Excellent movie.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:44:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I never cared for some of the fighting scenes, particularly how the indians ran across the fields or through the woods in plain view and tomahawked 1 of the soliders in formation that soldier and all the others did nothing.

thnking back in that time if military doctrine, I think that was the continueing problem the British had with how some of the future rebelious colonists fought (not standing in line, taking turns or whatever)

I would think most rank and file redcoats were draftees from somewhere within the Isles, and therefore, other than being taught to follow the 'load, aim, fire' commands, might not think a whole lot for themselves and just stand and wait like sheep for an order. One would think, however, that that era of an army would have skirmishers out to the flanks and point and some fireing would ensue to warn of impending attack...my wife hates me when I watch a movie!

remember the scene where Magua leads them to an ambush, they stand in the road in two ranks and take fire while they make ready to fire, then when the Native Americans hear the order for 'aim' they all hid behind trees till the Bess's had all fired then attacked...pretty stark contrast in tactics...
good movie..very unlike the book, was unaware it was a Michael Mann movie...I like all his so far that i know of
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:14:14 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thnking back in that time if military doctrine, I think that was the continueing problem the British had with how some of the future rebelious colonists fought (not standing in line, taking turns or whatever)

I would think most rank and file redcoats were draftees from somewhere within the Isles, and therefore, other than being taught to follow the 'load, aim, fire' commands, might not think a whole lot for themselves and just stand and wait like sheep for an order. One would think, however, that that era of an army would have skirmishers out to the flanks and point and some fireing would ensue to warn of impending attack...my wife hates me when I watch a movie!

remember the scene where Magua leads them to an ambush, they stand in the road in two ranks and take fire while they make ready to fire, then when the Native Americans hear the order for 'aim' they all hid behind trees till the Bess's had all fired then attacked...pretty stark contrast in tactics...
good movie..very unlike the book, was unaware it was a Michael Mann movie...I like all his so far that i know of

Yep, right on the money.

Don't forget a Bess could take a while to reload, leaving a military formation vulnerable if they started discharging their weapons willy-nilly. The loss of one man might be seen as acceptable to the officers in charge, as opposed to facing an large attack with the entire deatchment reloading after firing at one indian brave.

The fact that soldiers were strictly disciplined if they ever discharged their weapon unless under the order of an Officer or Sergeant, if any were alive, would have made that scene historically plausible.

Punishment for disobeying orders in those days was far worse than what we have today, and could include lashing with a cat O' nine tails, a whip with little lead balls attached that could bruise and rip the flesh leaving the miscreants back a bloody mess after a couple dozen lashes.

I'm certain professional would hold their fire unless under order to fire. The officers would have waited until a real threat, or large body of attackers to order mass firing, and they did not appear to have dedicated marksmen. Snipers were not a standard part of a redcoat formation, IIRC.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#26]
I always wished that Hawkeye could have had an M1A instead of his long rifle.  He would've liked that.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I always wished that Hawkeye could have had an M1A instead of his long rifle.  He would've liked that.  

Oh, don't get started down this road!

You remind of my time machine musings of Braveheart.

What if William Wallace's rebels had possessed a few 1919s and 20,000 rounds of 30-06 in the battle they lost? Or a few dozen claymores?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I lived in NC, when they were making this movie. A friend I worked with had a boat and we went out on the lake and checked out the fort. The filming of the fort was over, but you could only look at it from the water. They had the shore line taped off and getting ready for clean up. It was way cool, it looked like there had been a battle there, part of it was burnt and still smoking.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:38:41 AM EDT
[#29]
interesting responses about the tactics in the battles, that seems reasonable about the discipline, I'd still think some solider would have done something to attempt to stop the charge of a lone indian, bayonett or something.

I've seen 2 documentaries of different historic battles that each suggested that the time reloading weapons was the downfall for an army against natives.
major historic battles, 1 the brits against the zulus in that big battle where so many brits were k.i.a. and the other, custer's last stand maybe?

Myself I brought a c 02 colt python pellet gun to a bb gun battle when I was in high school, it had a lot of power, but only 6 shots that each had to be placed in grooves,
my friends had simple daisy pump actions and in our 1st engagment that day in the woods after my 6th shot I quickly learned the error of my ways. They were on me like hornets and I had to turn and run after enduring all I could.

Anyhow,  where was last of the mohicans supossed to have been, the adirondaks? Those mountains have a lot of peaks with indian names and it was supossed to be ny if I'm correct.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Anyhow,  where was last of the mohicans supossed to have been, the adirondaks? Those mountains have a lot of peaks with indian names and it was supossed to be ny if I'm correct.

here you go:  The Battle of Fort William Henry

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#31]
appreciate it. If I'm not mistaken, lake george is the lake where that ferry capsized in the fall.
Maybe the adirondaks were to built up around their lakes for a movie of that time period..
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
appreciate it. If I'm not mistaken, lake george is the lake where that ferry capsized in the fall.
Maybe the adirondaks were to built up around their lakes for a movie of that time period..

I don't know about that, but I sure would like to spend some time around those sites with a metal detector and some period maps/plans.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top