Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2006 8:55:35 PM EDT
www.imdb.com/title/tt0416449/

Ok, it's really more like >5,000 Greeks, but I'm sure this will be super dramatic.

300 Spartans pretty much did this story right to begin with.  We'll see how Zack (of Dawn of the Dead fame) manages.  Based on Frank Miller's '300' Graphic Novel.  Official site (they have cute video to watch, and snicker at)

Good web based summary of events, plus history and other goodies.
Good reading for anyone interested in reading more history.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:00:06 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
www.imdb.com/title/tt0416449/

Ok, it's really more like >5,000 Greeks, but I'm sure this will be super dramatic.

300 Spartans pretty much did this story right to begin with.

I totally disagree.  That movie's depiction of the Spartans when they weren't at war and the romance between the prince and some girl was laughable.  Spartan society was nothing like that. Terrible movie.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:38:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#3]

I was really hoping to see Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield made into a movie before this one.  Either way, this is one film I will definitely see.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I totally disagree.  That movie's depiction of the Spartans when they weren't at war and the romance between the prince and some girl was laughable.  Spartan society was nothing like that. Terrible movie.

Ok, the beginning five minutes weren't that great.  Other than that, fairly close reproduction of the events.  Minimal Hollywood bullshit, oddly.  Nowadays, it's suprising that '300' isn't going to be about the Evil Spartan oppression of Helots and their vile influence on the beautiful Athens.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:05:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was really hoping to see Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield made into a movie before this one.  Either way, this is one film I will definitely see.

+ eleventy billion.

Though to do it right it would be 4 1/2 hours long, with all the flashbacks, etc.  Gates is one of my favorite books.  The Virtues of War, about Alexander is also phenomenal.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top