Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2006 7:16:07 PM EDT
Anyone hear about this movie yet? It is set in the time of the fall of the Mayan Empire, will be spoken entirely in an obscure indian dialect, and features a cast of total unknowns.

It will either be spectacularly good or people will be asking "WTF was he thinking!".

Here's a trailer. For some reason I cannot watch it.

link

Newsmax article:

link
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:58:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Mel's accurate, he's got a story to tell and he's got enough money to spend on it to not give a shit what people think about it.

People said the same thing about the Passion.  "It'll be spectacularly good" or "WTF was he thinking?".  This movie will be the same.  Granted this one will not see as much revenue due to churchs urging their members to go see/buy the movie.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Well his last movie was in a dead language… done independently, distributed independently, no studio help… some people said it would not work… $600 million later maybe the guy knows what he is doing.

Everybody is bitching Hollywood does not have any ideas and all they do is remakes… well you got a guy here making a different movie, with a new idea, and doing it his way.

“Cast of total unknowns” means small part of budget spent on cast… means the movie is a LOT cheaper to make… means it don’t have to do huge box office to make money.

I bet it does well…
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:39:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Crap, I am trying to find the direct link to the movie file, I hate it when they only play in the browser.  I know it is somewhere in the view source thingy..
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:49:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Crap, I am trying to find the direct link to the movie file, I hate it when they only play in the browser.  I know it is somewhere in the view source thingy..

Link to 'large' version.  You need to hit crtl-f and search for .mov (or .wmv or .mpg depending on the file type being used).
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:52:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link to 'large' version.  You need to hit crtl-f and search for .mov (or .wmv or .mpg depending on the file type being used).

movies.apple.com/movies/touchstone/apocalypto/apocalypto-tsr1_h.480.mov

Tried that already, only lets me DL a .1kb file...something is not letting it DL.  Might be my browser though, I am on a MAc....I am beginning to feel oppressed with it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:54:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

movies.apple.com/movies/touchstone/apocalypto/apocalypto-tsr1_h.480.mov

Tried that already, only lets me DL a .1kb file...something is not letting it DL.  Might be my browser though, I am on a MAc....I am beginning to feel oppressed with it.

Oh, it's one of those forced streaming pos things.  There are some programs out there that make it easier to extract the stream.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:57:53 PM EDT
[#7]
"When the End comes, not everyone is ready to go"

Sounds intriguing! Shades of "Braveheart"?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:07:50 AM EDT
[#8]
he needs to stop these weird movies and make Mad Max 4
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:20:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
he needs to stop these weird movies and make Mad Max 4

I think this Mad Max 4 he just forgot the sub title to the movie (A New Begining).

It looks like something I might see.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#10]
it is tougher for him to put anti-gun lines in this one VS the Lethal Weapon series at least.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:57:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
it is tougher for him to put anti-gun lines in this one VS the Lethal Weapon series at least.

He didn't put anti-gun lines in the Lethal Weapon series.

He was not the writer, producer, or director of the Lethal Weapon series.

The director Richard Donner was responsible for that.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:00:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I think it's cool that he's using real languages. I'm tired of seeing massive epics about ancient civilizations where they spend so much research on weapons and costuming and sets and then teach all the American actors to speak in a classic British accent. Or in teh case of Robin Hood:Prince of Thieves where the American mumbles through with a Dungeons and Dragons version of a British accent..

It's keeping the languages alive.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:21:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I think it's cool that he's using real languages. I'm tired of seeing massive epics about ancient civilizations where they spend so much research on weapons and costuming and sets and then teach all the American actors to speak in a classic British accent. Or in teh case of Robin Hood:Prince of Thieves where the American mumbles through with a Dungeons and Dragons version of a British accent..

It's keeping the languages alive.

Not only that it brings you more into the story.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:17:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Looking forward to it.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Anybody get the trailer to work yet? What's in it?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:26:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like it will be an interesting movie, I plan on most likely seeing it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top