Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2006 9:32:55 PM EDT
After watching the making of Starship Troopers, I have to say I am beyond words. I knew going into the "Making Of" thing that he hated and didnt understand the story, but I didnt know that he didnt watch his own movie.

This man is insane. He made an incredible movie but didnt get one bit of it. Somehow he made a futuristic movie based on a love of the whole from his own OBSESSION with his WW2 experiences. He doesnt go 2 commentaries without somehow mentioning how everything is related to WW2, even though at the end of the movie he states that eventually people will forget moments like the capture of the brain. I think that 5000 years from now people wont give a whooping shit about WW2(not care, just time. I am sure something bigger will happen within 5000 years people). He tries to mimic everything from that war from the style of ships to the way they dress. It is a shame that if he would have changed the clothes a little, the entirety of the subtext probably would have been different.

All he talks about is how fascist the world is in the story, yet they talk about citizenry, politics, free choice, and all kinds of things. Same thing with his Science Fiction Historion Paul Sammons, who refers to the civilization as "Melrose place, rightwing, empty-headed drones". It is so strange... They say that the Federation Network is all that the people see, but it clearly states that there are other channels,shows, and mainly other things to watch.

It is funny how Sammons keeps referring to Verhoeven as a liberal, even though by hearing probably one thing he says you can figure it out. He is a great director, but idealistically retarded.

The bugs were just defending their planet? What about the GIANT FUCKING ASTEROIDS THEY KEEP SHOOTING AT EARTH? A civilization of perfect looking people? Did he not see the black, latino, white, ugly, not ugly, scarred, not scarred, rich, not rich, cast/characters he had?

Again, Paul Verhoeven... loved his movies, I just cant stand to hear him say anything. Thank god I supported other people than just him by watching them.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:35:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Look up my thread...Paul Verhoeven, Asshat Extraordinare....the man is an asshole, the way he talks, he sounds like anyone who would defend themselves is a fascist. He doesn't deserve to have been liberated in WWII!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:43:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:34:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't believe this movie is being taken seriously by you guys. Do you get upset about Robocop as well?

Anyway, how is a bug going to hurl an asteroid at Earth? The humans let that happen to rile up the population.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:49:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
One of the greatest crimes of the 20th century was to entrust Heinlein's great work to the HACK known as Paul Verhoeven.    Truly there could not have been a worse choice of director for this particular
story adaptation.

As far as I'm concerned,  Heinlein's Starship Troopers has never been turned into a movie.

The movie by the same name is just too far removed from the book to be thought of as the same story.
Just one that shares a few common details.

CJ

I'm with you.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:02:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I can't believe this movie is being taken seriously by you guys. Do you get upset about Robocop as well?

Anyway, how is a bug going to hurl an asteroid at Earth? The humans let that happen to rile up the population.

Dont exactly take Robocop seriously, but you can see where Verhoeven was going with that one too.

People, seemingly like you, commonly fail to realize that movies are just another form of media JUST LIKE BOOKS. Movies can have messages in them just like books can. Discrediting a movie simply because you dont need to read it(whish means you are SOL on a subtitled movie anyways) is naive and absurd.

It makes sense to take some movies seriously, given this particular one was made to have a meaning.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dont exactly take Robocop seriously, but you can see where Verhoeven was going with that one too.

People, seemingly like you, commonly fail to realize that movies are just another form of media JUST LIKE BOOKS. Movies can have messages in them just like books can. Discrediting a movie simply because you dont need to read it(whish means you are SOL on a subtitled movie anyways) is naive and absurd.

It makes sense to take some movies seriously, given this particular one was made to have a meaning.

I think Ed Neumeier had just as much to do with screwing up the story as did Verhoeven. I agree that it had very little to do with the book. I just take it for what it is, a satirical war propaganda film. I don't think they were trying to do anything more than that.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I really like that movie and i like the book aside from the title and some bugs they are  pretty much diffrent stories
I love robo cop too , the  anti bussiness slant was so severe it was more of a parody than serious social discussion
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:40:43 PM EDT
[#10]
The main problem with adapting any book into a movie is the deluded and misguided presumption that since they are two different mediums they need to be told two different ways.

If you're going to change characters, plot elements, timelines, endings or ANY damned thing that wasn't in the book IT ISN'T A MOVIE OF THE BOOK.

CJ nailed it with: "The movie by the same name is just too far removed from the book to be thought of as the same story. Just one that shares a few common details."

It's false, disingenuous, deceptive and -- what Hollywood is REALLY about -- greed in its purest form.

Kubrick's version of "The Shining" is one of the few instances where the movie was actually better than the book. King's book, and the subsequent King-endorsed TV version,  were the interminable equivalent of 100 hours of Community Service. You could understand why Jack turned on Shelley Duvall, but Rebecca DeMornay???
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:13:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
By itself, Starship Troopers is a decent flick.  +1 for boobies.

As an adaptation of the novel, it fails miserably.

Yep. If it wasn't called Starship Troopers I would of actually enjoyed the movie.

Big +1 for the boobies...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
By itself, Starship Troopers is a decent flick.  +1 for boobies.

As an adaptation of the novel, it fails miserably.

Yea better then alot of movies, but compared to the book it sucked.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:35:34 PM EDT
[#13]
SST was okay as a sci-fi flik but over all it sucked and could have been way better.  A little bit of script and acting would have gone a long way!  It was also a complete insult to the book.

Col. Doogy Howser....c'mon!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:27:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Starship Troopers the movie started out as a screenplay called “Bug Hunt,” that had nothing to do with the book. They decided to acquire the rights to the book and made it slightly fit in with the SST book’s universe. Supposedly they couldn’t do the powered armor because of monetary reasons, but I’m sure today a faithful adaptation could be done, but who would want to see it after the first and second movies?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:18:59 AM EDT
[#15]
You people thought Starship Troopers was an okay movie?   WTF?  That movie sucked Donkey Balls from the first scene.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:23:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You people thought Starship Troopers was an okay movie?   WTF?  That movie sucked Donkey Balls from the first scene.

+1

What he said... it was a massive disappointment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top