Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2005 12:15:56 AM EDT
Composite, Optical, RCA or S-video?

Need to buy a new DVD player, my old "bank handout" DVD just died. I will be hooking up to a samsung DLP.

So what is the most high speed low drag connection method?

EDIT: Crap, the first RCA choice should be optical.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:25:36 AM EDT
[#1]
are we talking video or audio or both?
For audio I use optical and video I use component and DVI
I stick with Canare or Belden cables and stay away from Monster Cable
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:43:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Mainly video, I don't desire to hook up audio to my downstairs TV. Thats what my media room is for. Unfortunately, my front projector/DVD/audio (media room) is kinda old, only has RCA and S-video connections. I don't really have any practical experiance in the new connection methods, pros-cons ect.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:44:04 AM EDT
[#3]
S-video would be your best bet but be careful of long runs (over 50') otherwise you can run into signal loss problems with cheap cables.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:53:26 AM EDT
[#4]
No, all my runs are less than 5'.

S-video really, someone told me that the Composite, I hope I'm calling the Blue, green and other cable by the right name, is supposed to better than S-video.

My home theater skills are not current at all and I feel like a total noob looking at specs on current audio and video equipment.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:59:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
No, all my runs are less than 5'.

S-video really, someone told me that the Composite, I hope I'm calling the Blue, green and other cable by the right name, is supposed to better than S-video.

My home theater skills are not current at all and I feel like a total noob looking at specs on current audio and video equipment.

That would be component (red, green, blue) but I thought you said your TV only had regular video and S-video.
If you have the ability to go component do that instead.
In terms of video hookups heres the rundown on worst to best.
F-connector(75ohm)
video(yellow jack also called composite)
S-video
Component and DVI are tied in my opinion. I can't tell the difference
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:10:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry, I shouldn’t have muddied the water.

I have 2 DLP rigs. Upstairs, media room front projection 2-3 yrs old only RCA and S-video.

New DLP downstairs, rear projection with every bell and whistle I could find.

Your rundown of signal quality is on par with what I thought would be the hierarchy, but not 100% sure of myself on this.

Thanks!  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:13:27 AM EDT
[#7]
no problem
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:00:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Component for video

Optical for audio
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:03:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I always told people to use the componet cables when talking them through hooking up thier HD sets, it was the simplest to get them to hook up and hard for them to screw it up
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:26:46 AM EDT
[#10]
from your list, video wise, s-video is the best, but not the best available.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#11]
for video, composite of course

for audio, optical if you have it
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:31:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

s-video is superior to composite video

component video is superior to s-video
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:32:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Sure, I thought this thread was about KY versus Baby Oil. (damn)
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:56:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

composite video is superior to s-video

Component or Composite?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:57:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Component or Composite?

Doh.   Component, of course
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#16]
That yellow video jack is also sometimes called composite where the RGB colored jacks is called component. Not the same quality of course.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:34:28 PM EDT
[#17]
If you can you should try the component and S-Video on your set. I have seen more than one set that looked better with s-video, even though it is a lower quality hookup suposedly.
I can't explain it, I just know it's true.
Compsite always looks like crap.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I couldn't tell a difference between S-video and component.  So I went with S-video.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:41:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I couldn't tell a difference between S-video and component.  So I went with S-video.

I believe in order to see the difference is when you watch Patton when he is giving the speech at the beginning in front of the flag the "Moire" pattern disappears with component but still visible with S-video.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Never seen that film.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top