Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2005 4:00:22 AM EDT
1. Why in the original trilogy was Palpatine known only as "The Emporer" and not Darth Sidious?
2. In ROTJ Palpatine only uses Force Lightining against Luke. Did he forget his lightsaber that day? I found that funny after watching ROTS.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:20:11 AM EDT
[#1]
1. because he was in charge and wanted people to call him the emperor.

2. i think that he believed that he had become so powerful with the dark side that he didn't need to use a light saber.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:36:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
1. because he was in charge and wanted people to call him the emperor.

2. i think that he believed that he had become so powerful with the dark side that he didn't need to use a light saber.

i concur
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:03:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I think during the prequals he was attempting to maintain seperate identities depending on who he was manipulating.  

When dealing with bounty hunters/etc. you dont want to come across as the benovelent senetor and vice versa.  So Darth Sidious, while his true identity, was only a stepping stone to his ultimate goal of controlling the Galaxy.

Also why would he need his light saber when attacking Luke?  Luke had just tossed away his and refused to finish Vadar.  The emperor was just toying with him before he finished him off.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think during the prequals he was attempting to maintain seperate identities depending on who he was manipulating.  

When dealing with bounty hunters/etc. you dont want to come across as the benovelent senetor and vice versa.  So Darth Sidious, while his true identity, was only a stepping stone to his ultimate goal of controlling the Galaxy.

Also why would he need his light saber when attacking Luke?  Luke had just tossed away his and refused to finish Vadar.  The emperor was just toying with him before he finished him off.

Everytime I watch that scene where Luke throws away his lightsaber, I can almost hear the groan of paternal disappointment from Darth Vader, "How can my son be such an idiot?!?"
Matt
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:44:35 PM EDT
[#5]
darth sidious was linked strongly with the sith and the only people who knew who "Darth Sidious" was were the Jedi. Everyone else came to knew him as Palpatine before the Jedi could ever let the galaxy know the truth. All the Trade Federation leaders were killed and who would bounty hunters talk to?

At the end of ROTJ, he wanted Luke to kill him. He was the biggest vessel of the Dark Side and wanted it forever to be the destructor of the last Jedi. He needed no lightsaber and even if he did, he wanted to torture Luke before killing him.

Dont forget, while the most powerful dude around, the Emperor was a smart arrogant prick.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:At the end of ROTJ, he wanted Luke to kill him.
I didn't see it that way. I think he wanted to replace Darth Vader with a more powerful Sith (Luke) just like he had done with Anakin when he killed Darth Tyranus.  Luke did not give in to the darkside and make the same mistakes his father had.  Since he would not turn, the emperor was forced to destroy him.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:37:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
1. Why in the original trilogy was Palpatine known only as "The Emporer" and not Darth Sidious?
Because Lucas had not thought that hard about it yet.

2. In ROTJ Palpatine only uses Force Lightining against Luke. Did he forget his lightsaber that day? I found that funny after watching ROTS.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:31:35 AM EDT
[#8]
About the lightsaber -

You notice that in episode 3, he is real sneaky about hiding his lightsaber in his sleeve.  I think that he still may have had his lightsaber on him, though he told Luke otherwise.  He is a very sneaky and dirty fighter, and it wouldnt suprise me that if he needed one in a hurry, he wouldnt have a problem drawing down.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:31:52 AM EDT
[#9]
One more Palpatine question.
In SW3 did the Force Lightining (FL) disfigure his face or was he really old and using the force to hide it until the FL was sent back to him?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:40:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Force Lightning didn't do that. Recall in Episode 2 how Dooku pulled out the lightning with no disfigurement. Palpatine did that to himself, or rather, the Dark Side did it to him. He was so powerful with the Dark Side that he was scarred by it. Think of the great effort he had to go to to throw the known galaxy into disarray, hide his true nature from a legion of fellows eager to find his kind and still maintain his visage as a benevolent-ish dictator. Once he finally gave that up, it screwed him up good.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:46:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:At the end of ROTJ, he wanted Luke to kill him.
I didn't see it that way. I think he wanted to replace Darth Vader with a more powerful Sith (Luke) just like he had done with Anakin when he killed Darth Tyranus.  Luke did not give in to the darkside and make the same mistakes his father had.  Since he would not turn, the emperor was forced to destroy him.

+1, he wanted Luke to kill Vader and replace him.
The Emperor replaced apprentices like you or I would cars.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:46:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

w00t.
Funny.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top