Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2005 5:54:30 PM EDT
Much as I wanted to like this movie, I just can't make myself.

It's a shame to see such a legendary character twisted into a near family-friendly movie.  This movie was so unlike the comic storylines that I was almost embarassed for the writer and director.  What were they thinking?

Other than the silly plot, I've got a few other nitpicks as well:

When Saint's henchmen leave his apartment after torturing the neighbor kid, why the hell did they leave all his weapons, ammo, and explosives in place?  At the very least they would have wanted some of the heavy stuff for their own crew, not to mention denying him the tools to kill them with.

When Saint gathers all his men for the final hunt, he offers them all $50,000 each to kill Castle.  They take the money, then all decide to sit around for a while, drinking champagne, smoking cigars, and listening to soft piano.  WTF?

Lastly, the Punisher would never resort to ridiculous and overly complicated schemes to make his enemies think their wives are cheating on them, etc.  He would just cap them and move on.

Two good things about the film:

1) Laura Elena Harring, who played Saint's wife, is just about the most beautiful woman in the world.  I could stare at her all day.

2)  The Punisher carries a 1911 (even if it does have a 'bored-out chamber').

I'd like to see a sequel done right, but I doubt that will happen due to this film's lackluster performance at the box office.  Thomas Jane should be replaced as well, but I can't think of who the replacement should be off the top of my head.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:39:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw a 100% inprovement of Dolph Lundgren's 1989 effort ........... Never read the comics so, apart from a few holes in the plot, I watched a pretty good action / revenge movie.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:41:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Man on fire was batter
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:03:48 AM EDT
[#3]
My plan involves a belt holster with mag pouch, and a one strap pac for my rifle mags. The one strap pack allows for prone, and does not snag on anything when it is steered around to be accessed. I figure each cargo pocket will have a rifle mag, and my body armor is under my shirt. add a baggy sweat shirt, and Voila! Low profile, open cary, non law enforcement provacative bug out / Guard your house... kit.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:19:54 AM EDT
[#4]
The 1989 dulph version was much mor interesting, the 17 shot pump shot gun, the drunken guy that speaks in iambic pentamitor, and everyting rymes, the evlovator opening up and 1000 sword weilding bad guys die, the horible acting, the sewer bike, the tourture guy wearing the bright red pumps (I know you ALL missed that), the fact that dulp never once refreshes his mags, the ninja star shots of them flying through, the demanding black guy who screams "Let me in!", the 1/2 sec later "Let me out".  dude I could go on and on!
Icon
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:33:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I watched the director's commentary of the Punisher.  I actually like the movie now that I know why the director did the things he did.  For one thing, the director was on a budget.  There was supposed to be a scene at the beginning showing Frank Castle in Desert Storm, but they couldn't afford to shoot it.  Several sub plots were left out.

And it's also clear that the director didn't know anything about guns, but at least he tried to not be ridicolous with the gunplay.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:40:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The 1989 dulph version was much mor interesting, the 17 shot pump shot gun, the drunken guy that speaks in iambic pentamitor, and everyting rymes, the evlovator opening up and 1000 sword weilding bad guys die, the horible acting, the sewer bike, the tourture guy wearing the bright red pumps (I know you ALL missed that), the fact that dulp never once refreshes his mags, the ninja star shots of them flying through, the demanding black guy who screams "Let me in!", the 1/2 sec later "Let me out".  dude I could go on and on!
Icon

Quoted for the worst spelling ever.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:40:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

.... Laura Elena Harring, who played Saint's wife, is just about the most beautiful woman in the world.  I could stare at her all day.

Who, her?

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:05:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

1) Laura Elena Harring, who played Saint's wife, is just about the most beautiful woman in the world.  I could stare at her all day.

You post a statement like that without a pic? How long have you been here?!?!?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:46:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

2)  The Punisher carries a 1911 (even if it does have a 'bored-out chamber').

I enjoyed it, expected it to be a bit quirky since based on a comic book.  The Punisher carried 2 1911's that "had the chamber's bored" whatever the heck that means.

Good tutorial on revenge!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top