Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2005 7:41:57 AM EDT
What a stupid fucking movie. No I never read the book(s) and after seeing the movie I probably will never bother. Just wasn't my cup of tea.

I'm sure the books didn't seem this way but the movie seemed like a Hollywood executive's contrived attempt to seem "zany" or like some sort of sci-fi acid trip.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:04:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the books on tape of the Hitchhikers series and they are well written and good to pass the time with on a road trip.

I avoided the movie because I liked the book.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Read the book, and download the original British Miniseries.  That is good.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:09:51 AM EDT
[#3]
The books really are random.  To enjoy them you have to suspend rational thought and just go with the flow of the story, then it gets really funny.

Unfortunately, after the first two books the author really started losing touch with his readers and they weren't nearly as funny anymore.

I haven't seen the movie, but I heard that they ruined Zaphod's character (he's supposed to have two heads side by side).  I will never forgive them for that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:40:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Read the book, and download the original British Miniseries.  That is good.

Have to agree. have the entire series on DVD, excellent, and only managed to suffer 25 minutes of the movie.......... pile of crap!  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:55:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Loved the books, loved the BBC miniseries.

I enjoyed the movie but only because I decoupled it from the books and miniseries.  You had to watch it on its own.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Every iteration of the series -- the original BBC Radio series (by far the best), the books, the BBC TV series, the vinyl LPs, the audio books (abridged, read by Stephen Moore (Marvin) and unabridged, read by Adams himself), the CDs, the third and fourth BBC Radio series -- has been different from each other, some in minor ways, some major. The movie was a sad but semi-effective compromise and, if looked at strictly as "the Movie Version" in a collection of alternate versions it's passable. A huge disappointment but better than no movie at all. Or maybe not.

The whole frolicking dolphin opening credit sequence preceeding the traditional HHG opening reeked of studio interference and was the most offensive, out-of-place part of the whole thing. Douglas Adams would have farted with bemused displeasure.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:21:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The whole frolicking dolphin opening credit sequence preceeding the traditional HHG opening reeked of studio interference and was the most offensive, out-of-place part of the whole thing. Douglas Adams would have farted with bemused displeasure.

I figured that nonsense was actually something that would have been in the book. It was embarassingly stupid.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:32:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:05:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I saw the movie tonight and I liked it. I thought it was funny and cool.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:18:44 PM EDT
[#10]
i fell asleep shortly after the dude met up with the girl on the spaceship.  after the movie my wife woke me up and said i didn't miss anything.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:38:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I made it a total of fifteen painful minutes before mercilessly mashing the eject button on the remote

liked the first book but, I'm still coming to terms with disliking the movie.

Blitz
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#12]
The books are the stupidest things I have ever read. I love them
It is camp and sci-fi. perfect together.
Take off the thinking cap and enjoy the stupidity.
man I love that series

I need to see the movie though. have not seen it yet. Remember, Adams has changed the story every single time it was released. The radio play, tv series, books do not match and he even says this in the Author's note in the book.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:14:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I guess that's where it failed for me. I don't think sci-fi and "camp" are a good combo except in rare occasions, usually when it's an intentional pardoy like Spaceballs. I like my sci-fi to be realistic to a possible science and technology standpoint just like any other movie with a touch of suspension of disbelief in the case of really cool tech-weapons and such, like a lightsaber.

HGttG seemed like it would be a big hit among the Doctor Who, Red Dwarf PBS sci-fi crowd.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:18:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I liked the books, and loved the movie.  Enough to buy it on DVD
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
<snip>
HGttG seemed like it would be a big hit among the Doctor Who, Red Dwarf PBS sci-fi crowd.

it was, Adams helped out on the Dr Who series on a few episodes.

Agree with you though, I just take my thinking cap off when I read the books.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top