Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/1/2005 8:08:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:11:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Cold Mountain
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:38:54 AM EDT
[#2]
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, I would say.

There is no way you could actually film EVERYTHING in those books, but Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, and Phillipa Boyens did a fantastic job adapting it, and I would say, IMHO, that the extended edition trilogy is the greatest movie masterpiece as far as depth and story and sheer beauty ever made, possibly ever to be made. Just my opinion though....
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:48:36 AM EDT
[#3]
The Client (Grisham) - IMHO, the truest translation of any of his books to the screen.

The Quiet Man - a lot had to be added/fleshed out (it was a short story), but the film is very true to the original work, a true "classic," and one of my very favorites.

The Grass Harp - true to Capote's semi-autobiograhical original.  
(And I'm not just saying that because I was an extra in it , but I probably never would have read it otherwise.)
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:02:50 AM EDT
[#4]
The Virgin Suicides - book by Jeffrey Eugenides, movie directed by Sophia Coppola.  Very well done, and solid proof that she should only direct and stop ruining Godfather movies.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

The paisley lounge at the Circus Circus melting comes to mind.  The request to throw the tape machine into the bath tub at a particular point in White Rabbit, the waitress afraid of knives - I thought it was all very well done.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/dolomite1911/cowbell1sz.gifThe Original Dolomite® – Arfcom Refugee
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Band of Brothers.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The paisley lounge at the Circus Circus melting comes to mind.  The request to throw the tape machine into the bath tub at a particular point in White Rabbit, the waitress afraid of knives - I thought it was all very well done.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/dolomite1911/cowbell1sz.gifThe Original Dolomite® – Arfcom Refugee

What did you do dude?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:39:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

There is no way you could actually film EVERYTHING in those books, but Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, and Phillipa Boyens did a fantastic job adapting it, and I would say, IMHO, that the extended edition trilogy is the greatest movie masterpiece as far as depth and story and sheer beauty ever made, possibly ever to be made. Just my opinion though....

Have you read the books?

I've done this rant so many times, I'm even tired of hearing myself.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Charlton Heston - The Ten Commandments  [
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:59:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you read the books?

Yeah, I have, and am currently re-reading them. I think they did a masterful job bringing it to the screen. Costume and set decoration was incredible. Allan Lee and John Howe helped every step of the way with design. They had to do some condensing and rework to keep it from being 120 hours long. Now I wouldn't have minded that...but it wouldn't have made any money, and it would have NEVER been made therefore....

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you read the books?

I've read the books - multiple times each, in fact, over the years (first way back in grade school).

I completely agree with pzjgr's comments (including the qualifier with which he began).  

Not to mention the millions of new readers the movies have/will bring to the books...
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:15:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:Black Hawk Down.

I was told that this was done at the request of the surviving families that they don't include the parts of the book that involve the families receiving notification that their husbands were killed or watching the bodies being dragged through the streets on CNN.

I thought this was an emotionally powerful part of the book, which is similar to what they put to film in We Were Soldiers.

My wife read Band of Brothers and said that the books, while more detailed, transferred very well to film as well.

Silence of the Lambs was a good movie adaptation.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:40:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought the adaptation of The Hunt for Red October was pretty damn good.  Of course they cut a lot out of it but I thought Alec Baldwin was great as Jack Ryan and Connery was terrific as well.  I remember thinking "Damn, I forgot what a good fucking movie this is!" when I saw it on tv a few months ago.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:42:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yeah, when I heard they were going to make a movie of it, I wondered how it'd be possible to adapt it.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:18:53 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I thought the adaptation of The Hunt for Red October was pretty damn good.  Of course they cut a lot out of it but I thought Alec Baldwin was great as Jack Ryan and Connery was terrific as well.  I remember thinking "Damn, I forgot what a good fucking movie this is!" when I saw it on tv a few months ago.

It's the only Tom Clancy movie that's been done anything like the book it's based upon.
Of course it's almost three hours long..
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I thought The Postman was done fairly well. Could have been closer, but compared to most hollywood butcher jobs it was good
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:04:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:29:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I'd still love to see Red Storm Rising (with the appropriate budget) and Rainbow 6.

Rainbow Six is going to be made, and it's going to be directed by Zack Snyder, the guy who directed the Dawn of the Dead remake.

imdb.com/name/nm0811583/

Looks like he's making a movie about the battle of Thermopylae, too.  This young guy came out of nowhere and is helming one kick-ass project after another.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Harry Potter & the Philosopher's Stone.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Silence of the Lambs was pretty true to the book
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Harry Potter & the Philosopher's Stone.

Socereror's (sp?) Stone

In the UK, it goes under the original title, the Philosopher's Stone.  It was changed to Sorceror's Stone for the US market, because they didn't want to confuse or turn off potential readers who might think the book was about something dull like philosophy and not magic.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Yep!  Wait till you read:-

Harry Potter and the Kings Illegitimate Offspring....... heh

Nah, just kidding, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince was a pleasant read. looking forward to taking the missuss to see it!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#24]
"Leather Nuns from Phobos"...I thought that the director captured the essence of the book qute well.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I got to tell you that I really got screwed by basing my book report on the movie version of the Scarlett Letter.  How was I supposed to know that she didn't really run off with the Indians in the book?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#26]
I dug Catch-22.

By Dawn's Early Light was almost completely
the same as the book (Trinity's Child).
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:54:49 PM EDT
[#27]
I'll add

"Fast Times at Ridgemont High"

In fact they improved it in a couple of places.

[after Spicoli wrecks Jefferson's car]

Jefferson's Brother: My brother's gonna kill us! He's gonna kill us! He's gonna kill you and he's gonna kill me, he's gonna kill us!
Jeff Spicoli: Hey man, just be glad I had fast reflexes!
Jefferson's Brother: My brother's gonna shit!
Jeff Spicoli: Make up your mind, dude, is he gonna shit or is he gonna kill us?
Jefferson's Brother: First he's gonna shit, then he's gonna kill us!
Jeff Spicoli: Relax, alright? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

And
Forest Whitaker as Charles Jefferson

One of the movie’s funniest scenes was the football game with Jefferson destroying Lincoln High School.  Spicoi sure fixed the car right.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:50:35 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
... And it has one of my favorite lines...  "I'm a politician, which means when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lolipops."...

Spoken by a real-life politician, no less.   (It's one of my favorite lines, too.)
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And it has one of my favorite lines...  "I'm a politician, which means when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lolipops."

I'd still love to see Red Storm Rising (with the appropriate budget) and Rainbow 6.

Clint Eastwood is directing Flags of our Fathers and my gut tells me that it will be pretty well done and close to the book.

the clancy book that i'd love to see brought to the screen-done well ( to the quality of hunt for red october) is without remorse.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:12:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... And it has one of my favorite lines...  "I'm a politician, which means when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lolipops."...

Spoken by a real-life politician, no less.   (It's one of my favorite lines, too.)

Are you thinking of senator Fred Thompson?  He was the captain of the carrier.  My favorite line by the NSA was at the very end where the Soviet ambassador asks him for help to find Tupelov's submarine.  "Yuri, don't tell me you lost ANOTHER submarine."
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Lonesome Dove.

But that has more to do with the flawless casting than the teleplay.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#32]
And as to the '300' movie....I guess I have to go read the Miller novel, but I hoped beyond all hope that "Gates of Fire" would be the book-to-movie about Thermopylae.  Even has the perfect title.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:Black Hawk Down.

I was told that this was done at the request of the surviving families that they don't include the parts of the book that involve the families receiving notification that their husbands were killed or watching the bodies being dragged through the streets on CNN.

Yeah, except for that and the character who was removed at the Army's request it followed the book pretty closely.

I think All Quiet on the Western Front was the first good film adaptation of a book.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:45:50 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Are you thinking of senator Fred Thompson?  He was the captain of the carrier.  My favorite line by the NSA was at the very end where the Soviet ambassador asks him for help to find Tupelov's submarine.  "Yuri, don't tell me you lost ANOTHER submarine."

Yep - for some reason I thought that line was his, but it sure didn't make sense given the role he was playing.  I can even picture/hear him saying it in my mind... oh well.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:56:31 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Lonesome Dove.

But that has more to do with the flawless casting than the teleplay.

This is one of my favorites too, and the casting was incredible, but also the fact that it was brought to the screen as a mini-series, and not a two hour movie allowed them to stay closer to the book than a lot of movies
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And it has one of my favorite lines...  "I'm a politician, which means when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lolipops."

Clint Eastwood is directing Flags of our Fathers and my gut tells me that it will be pretty well done and close to the book.

the clancy book that i'd love to see brought to the screen-done well ( to the quality of hunt for red october) is without remorse.

BIG +1 to that.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:00:30 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I would love to se red storm riseing  althought it would be kinda hard to pull off as lot of people don't remember the reds
I would have to guess it would have to start out saying this is 198X and history is going to make a dramatic change
I thought rainbow six blew and it was writtin with movie/video game in mind
Without Remorse would make a good movie (decompression chamber heh)
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Yep!  Wait till you read:-

Harry Potter and the Kings Illegitimate Offspring....... heh

Nah, just kidding, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince was a pleasant read. looking forward to taking the missuss to see it!

Yes it is the best book of the bunch and JK did a terrific job with  the cliffhanger
man Im 30 and cannot wait for the next book
I think that will be a hard movie to make and keep  PG Im guessing PG 13 with as much death,monsters and violence is in it
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#40]
"The  Shining"
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:58:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Kubrick's version of The Shining was BETTER than the book, which was really tedious in many places. The more recent made-for-TV Shining was almost as dull as the book except, of course, for Rebecca DeMornay.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#42]
"The Day of the Jackal", with Edward Fox as the Jackal.

It followed the novel exactly.

Steve
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:36:14 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
"The Day of the Jackal", with Edward Fox as the Jackal.

It followed the novel exactly.

Second the motion!
That was an excellent movie.

The remake sucked Rosie OD.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#44]
come on, no one's mentioned Das Boot yet!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#45]
LOTR
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#46]

"Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Fight club except for the ending and Bringing out the dead, watching the movie pretty much was like reading the book.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Last of the Mohicans.

while it blended plot elements from all three books it wove them into a congruent and cohesive story that remains just as good now as it was almost 15yrs ago when it came out
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the only Tom Clancy movie that's been done anything like the book it's based upon.
Of course it's almost three hours long..

What about "Patriot Games"?  It was pretty much the book, taken word for word, except for the last five minutes.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:59:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Blade Runner was better than the book that the screen play was based on.

Do Androids Dream of Electic Sheep.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top