Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2005 3:18:04 PM EDT
Saw Zulu for the first time last night. What a great flick. Old school Martini-Henry's and what looked like Webley revolvers. Michael Caine's character got on my nerves, as it was probably meant to. Though I guess he turned out alright in the end.

Yes, I know this is a classic and it took me forever to see it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#1]
That is one of my favorite flicks....I love the scenes where they doing the "Volley fire" and the "Fire by Ranks" shhoting to stop the charging Zulus..... That was some pretty nice long arm handling!!!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:31:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Colour Sergeant Bourne: It's a miracle.
Lieutenant John Chard: If it's a miracle, Colour Sergeant, it's a short chamber Boxer Henry point 45 caliber miracle.
Colour Sergeant Bourne: And a bayonet, sir, with some guts behind.

It's really a pretty fascinating story, too.  The most Victoria Crosses ever awarded during a single battle.  And the really interesting thing is that Bromhead and Chard weren't particularly good officers.  I believe Chard got a brevet promotion to Major after the action but I don't think either of them were ever promoted again.  Not that they weren't solid men, just not exceptional.  But the fact that they performed so well shows what a quality product the British were producing at the height of their Empire in terms of officers and men.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:56:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Saw this movie for the first time about 5 months ago on a friend's recommendation, had to buy it when I saw it at walmart recently for less then 8$. This movie gave me the worst need for a martini henry rifle, so I bought one, turned out the model I bought was some kind of musket though(same calibre but not rifling, short sites), but it is still cool. Probably gonna pick up one of the actual rifles when I save of the bread I need, need to find a good source for ammo too, .455/577 is pretty much 'roll your own' ammo but I know some of the british militaria forum guys sell pre loaded stuff they put together. Damn shit costs almost 10 bucks for each piece of brass though, probably would buy the gun, shoot it a few times then just polish it with a diaper for the rest of my life.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Forgot to mention I still want a .455 webley in the worst way too.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#5]
The Zulus slaughtered a LOT of men before the battle at Roark's Drift.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool movie
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:40:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Zulu Dawn is a movie about the battle that happened the day before where the Brits lost a few thousand men. Supposed to be a good movie, though I can't find it anywhere.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top