Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2005 12:35:53 PM EDT

I watched Spartan again last night for the third time, and once again I was completely impressed by this movie.  Almost no one has heard of it, although it seems to be a film right up our collective alley.

Former Delta Force founding member Eric Haney was a technical advisor on this film, and Val Kilmer adapted his character to match Haney in many ways.

The whole film has a very realistic feel about it - or at least, is a lot different than a traditional hollywood action movie.  The shootouts are brief but intense, and the 1911 is the star of the show througout.  

This is a movie which you can watch several times without catching all of the nuances and small details that really make it stand out from the crowd.  

David Mamet wrote and directed this film, and basically anything he is involved with is worth watching.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:39:23 PM EDT
[#1]
ive read eric haneys book, the guy is a ungodly bad ass. as for the movie, it was allright i guess nothing to write home about.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:39:33 PM EDT
[#2]
David Mamet movies are always worth watching.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#3]
It's in my DVD collection, and watched repeatedly.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:59:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

+1 here.
Everybody I lend it to loves it. I never even saw a commercial for it when it was in theaters.

ARH

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:58:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I took me three trys to catch this movie from the beginning but every time I saw it I realised
that it was David Mamet's writing. I'm not going to do a search right now for his movie titles
but all of the stories that he writes into movies seem unique and catch your attention.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:09:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
David Mamet movies are always worth watching.

+1.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:06:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 here.
Everybody I lend it to loves it. I never even saw a commercial for it when it was in theaters.

ARH

I caught it late night on HBO halfway through, the next day I picked it up on DVD. Great movie.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:39:25 AM EDT
[#8]
i made another post about how that david mamat and eric haney are making a series about the life of a delta operator. supposedy its in production.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:00:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I saw Spartan and I didn't like it. Val Kilmer kept mumbling about a lot of stuff. The girl from Third Watch died way too quickly after all of that training.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:46:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I liked it.

I also don't remember any commercails/trailers for this movie.

Most of Kilmer's lines are memorable.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I watched Spartan again last night for the third time, and once again I was completely impressed by this movie.  Almost no one has heard of it, although it seems to be a film right up our collective alley.

Former Delta Force founding member Eric Haney was a technical advisor on this film, and Val Kilmer adapted his character to match Haney in many ways.

The whole film has a very realistic feel about it - or at least, is a lot different than a traditional hollywood action movie.  The shootouts are brief but intense, and the 1911 is the star of the show througout.  

This is a movie which you can watch several times without catching all of the nuances and small details that really make it stand out from the crowd.  

David Mamet wrote and directed this film, and basically anything he is involved with is worth watching.

I watched this movie on your recommendation, and I was impressed. However, I saw more Sig 220's than 1911's, and I caught a technical error. In the house assault scene, Curtis is looking through an Aimpoint, but the camera view shows a 10X scope with rangfinding recticle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top