Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2005 6:37:15 PM EDT
I'm thinking about getting one of the receivers you can plug in to you car & home stereo, wondering if anyone has experience with both brands and can tell me which one they like better. TIA.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:48:38 PM EDT
[#1]

XM if you like Nascar....

Sirius if you like Football.

I own a XM radio myself.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Tagged because I want a satellite radio for my motorcycle.  

Colt_SBR  

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:21:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

XM if you like Nascar....

Sirius if you like Football.

I own a XM radio myself.

Is the sports coverage the only real difference? I like the talk radio too (Liddy etc), how does the programming on that end stack up? I'm guessing they both do a pretty equal job at the music, is that right?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#4]
tag

looking to get it soon
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Sirius
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:25:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Scrun, mod in Cars & Bikes has a shop that does installs.

He tried to explain it, but got real deep real fast. (satellite count and content and............)

Lets see if he will write it down in Engrish for all of us.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I like XM, myself.  Go to Best Buy or Circut City and look at a program for each one and see who has the stuff you like.  Maybe you can find that stuff on the net.
Who cares what I or someone else likes.  Make sure you get the one you like.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:56:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Do yourself a favor and sign up for a free trial on either's website.  That will give you 3 days to get a nice taste of each's music.

As to the rest, from what I've seen of Xm, their comedy channel is better than Sirius, and their Movie Soundtrack channel kicks ass.

That being said, I have Sirius.  I liked their Rock channels better, they have NRA news, they don't have Air America (anymore, but still have lib channels).  Sirius also covers the NFL and NBA.

Right now XM has the edge in equipment, but Sirius is announcing their Gen 3 units this week.

Found a preview of one unit.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:01:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I have one of each in 2 different cars.  

Unless you particularly like NASCAR, or you want Howard Stern, pick
your provider by whichever equipment you like best, there really isn't
much difference in programming beyond a few niche things.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:02:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Come on over to Cars and Bikes I will set up a thread in the near future.

Cool.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:36:31 AM EDT
[#13]
and all this time, I thought Sirius had no commercials:

big money for big idiot

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:39:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

big money for big idiot

WTF, I did too.

The article sounds to me like they are saying the commercials will be plugs read by stern, is that correct? Those of you that have satellite already, do you hear much of this sort of stuff with current programming?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:46:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

big money for big idiot

WTF, I did too.

The article sounds to me like they are saying the commercials will be plugs read by stern, is that correct? Those of you that have satellite already, do you hear much of this sort of stuff with current programming?

I get commericals on ESPN Radio and some of the other talk/sport channels.

There is some minimal chat on the music stations....but no "hard" commericals.

I have XM in both vehicles.  I have a Sony headunit with XM capability and the wife uses a portable tuner in hers.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:49:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

big money for big idiot

WTF, I did too.

I have XM in both vehicles.  I have a Sony headunit with XM capability and the wife uses a portable tuner in hers.

With those satellite ready head units you still have to buy an xm tuner and antenna though, right? How much did all that cost minus the head unit?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:53:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
With those satellite ready head units you still have to buy an xm tuner and antenna though, right? How much did all that cost minus the head unit?

The XM Direct tuner and antenna is about $100.  The benefit I saw was that the tuner DIRECTLY links into the headunit and uses the headunit as the operator interface.  A stereo headunit had a much better interface than the portables I had, a MyFi and Roady2, so I like it mo' better.

Almost every brand of aftermarket headunit has one that is XM-capable.  In hindsight, I might have preferred one of the newer Alpine units, but the Sony I got is pretty solid.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:06:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I agree on the benefits, but I want to make sure this stays a relatively inexpensive upgrade. $300 or less.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:14:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I agree on the benefits, but I want to make sure this stays a relatively inexpensive upgrade. $300 or less.

The XM MyFi unit was $299 and it included EVERYTHING you need to use it on the body, in the car, in your house.

My wife is fine with using the cassette adapter in her SUV, so it's good for her.  It also comes with a remote so the interface is OK, just not as good as the headunit.

The Sony headunit I got was ~$210.  The XM Direct gear was $100.  The install was about $100 for both pieces.

From the sounds of it, the MyFi would probably be good for you.

XM also does Baseball and NASCAR, if that kind of thing matters to you.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:29:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

big money for big idiot

WTF, I did too.

XM has always had limited commercials (although they dropped them from the music channels some time ago)

The Sirius advocates have always hyped the no commercial thing as an advantage, but now their golden boy will have 'em.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:17:47 AM EDT
[#21]
I couldn't care less about howard stern to be honest, I won't be tuning in to that show commercials or no. If that's the only programming with commercials I'm good to go. I'm a little concerned once sirius starts seeing ad revenue rolling in from his show though they might decide to screw the customers and add some commercials in elsewhere too. And I for one friggin hate radio commercials.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:06:22 PM EDT
[#22]
The only thing that turned me OFF to Suirus, was that they have a GAY RADIO TALK SHOW... I WOULD NEVER LISTEN TO GAY RADIO TALK SHOWS...................

So.. me and my friend were listening to the Gay Radio Talk Show, and they described some sort of thing called the "Donkey Kong" where you take a pecker, and hit the top of the head with the fist, and it supposedly is sounds like the "Bonk Bonk" noise that Donkey Kong makes.

esh, and thats why, Boys and Girls, I have XM RADIO....
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:16:39 AM EDT
[#23]

SIRIUS Satellite Radio (Nasdaq: SIRI - News) today announced the debut of its first wearable satellite radio, the SIRIUS S50, which allows users to capture and store up to 50 hours of SIRIUS content, or a mix of SIRIUS programming and MP3/WMA files, enabling listening on the go. The SIRIUS S50 is scheduled to be available at retail this October.

[ LINK ]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top