Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 4:40:49 PM EDT
My old DVD/VCR combo bit the dust last night.

So I was thinking of stepping up to a DVD recorder. Don't really need anything high end, but would like something with a small hard drive and edit features. It seem all the DVD recorder FAQ pages I can find on the net is on out dated models. Any info or an up to date comparsion page would be appreciated.

Thanks...Greg
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:08:08 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My old DVD/VCR combo bit the dust last night.

So I was thinking of stepping up to a DVD recorder. Don't really need anything high end, but would like something with a small hard drive and edit features. It seem all the DVD recorder FAQ pages I can find on the net is on out dated models. Any info or an up to date comparsion page would be appreciated.

Thanks...Greg

I purchased one (w/o hD) at Wal Mart.   Its an ILO model.   There is some interesting firmware available on the internet.  It works pretty well, and has 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 hour recording modes.  The two and three hour modes look VERY good assuming high quality source material and use of an S-Video cable.  

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:08:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I have begun researching this to put home movies onto disc.

I feel that the ones with the internal hard drives are the way to go, because I can put a whole home movie on the hard drive, then edit it to suit me.

They also function as DVRs, like tivo.  With the internal HD, you can edit out the comercials and just burn the good stuff on the disc.

Panasonic makes several models that fit this criteria, although they are significantly more than the standard record only modls.

One last thing, my research petered out when I started researching format, but I'd encourage you to do your homework there.

You do not wan to get stuck with a $500 betamax equivalent..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top