Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2005 4:05:48 PM EDT
The Last Bullet (1995)

I just happened to record it years ago. Great film that I wish would get released on DVD.

Jungle struggle between a lone Aussie and Japanese soldier.

Highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#1]
"An Ungentlemanly Act" about the first days of the Falklands War. I can HIGHLY recommend this movie. Very realistic firefights, and a great representation of raw Royal Marine courage and the British "stiff upper lip" in the face of overwhelming odds:

I had to bought it in PAL format while in the UK, but it is available in NTSC format here.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#2]
There is this Korean War film made by the Koreans themselves.
Two brothers (?) are the main plot line.  I first found it here, but I can’t remember the name of it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:03:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Two brothers (?) are the main plot line.  I first found it here, but I can’t remember the name of it.

Tai Guk Gi:  The Brotherhood of War

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll vote for Breaker Morant, which is an Australian film.  

Tae Guk Gi is an excellent film.  Rented it on SA's recommendation and was very pleased.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:57:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Cross of Iron with James Coburn

http://www.sensesofcinema.com/contents/cteq/01/16/cross.html
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Great choice, I have it on DVD, awesome example of Soviet human wave attacks.

And you have to love, real Soviet armor.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:59:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am impressed! You are the first person I've ever run into that has ever heard of this film. Isn't it fantastic? Let's start a "Cross of Iron" forum on ARFCOM?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:25:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:42:31 AM EDT
[#9]
There was a vietnam war flick shown from the perspective of a VC soldier.   Cant remember the name nor if it was any good.    hmmm.....   I think I'm getting old....
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:06:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I am impressed! You are the first person I've ever run into that has ever heard of this film. Isn't it fantastic? Let's start a "Cross of Iron" forum on ARFCOM?

Really?    I would have thought Peckinpah fans would be all over Cross of Iron.  As it was, I didn't LOVE Cross of Iron (I gave it 3/5 stars on Netflix ... and it takes a very good movie for me to give a 3 or above) but it was a very good movie.  Peckinpah tends to overdo some of his violence/slo-mo stuff which is why I docked it 2 stars.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:12:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?    I would have thought Peckinpah fans would be all over Cross of Iron.  As it was, I didn't LOVE Cross of Iron (I gave it 3/5 stars on Netflix ... and it takes a very good movie for me to give a 3 or above) but it was a very good movie.  Peckinpah tends to overdo some of his violence/slo-mo stuff which is why I docked it 2 stars.

Daggone! I never paid much attention to that, now I've got to buy it online and watch it some more. Yeah, I've always been amazed at the few people who never heard of the flick. I really liked it a lot, but then I've always been a sucker for "the poor slobs who have to do the dirty work for the big boys" genre movies.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:32:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.  Saw it years ago, it was too wierd with hthe stylized slo mo shootouts/woundings.

ETA:  The Odd Angry Shot, another Aussie film, this one about an SAS unit in Viet Nam, Bryan Brown is awesome, lots of FAL action, but I haven't seen it in about 20 years.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:45:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have it on DVD.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:46:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Zulu

+1

I just bought it new on DVD for $2.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#16]
"The Lighthorsemen" WW1 Austrialian lighthorse mount infantry, they take Beersheba becuase they charge instead of dismounting at approx 400yds. It is a true event and a well done movie. I had taped it to VHS but loaned it out and never got it back  

I also had copied a 1995 version of "Sahara' with James Belushi, a almost word for word remake of Humpfrey Bogarts 1949 Movie of the same name. It never was returned either

Niether movie is available on DVD or VHS yet
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:39:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:47:03 AM EDT
[#18]
84 Charlie Mopic, it is a film about a military cameraman in Vietnam. I saw it late on PBS one night and I really need to see it again since I don't remember it very well.

Go Tell The Spartans, an interesting early Vietnam movie with Burt Lancaster. Military advisors trying to hold a village with a rag tag ARVN unit. The  Americans were a mix of Army regulars with WWII experience and draftees.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:13:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
"The Lighthorsemen" WW1 Austrialian lighthorse mount infantry, they take Beersheba becuase they charge instead of dismounting at approx 400yds. It is a true event and a well done movie. I had taped it to VHS but loaned it out and never got it back  

I also had copied a 1995 version of "Sahara' with James Belushi, a almost word for word remake of Humpfrey Bogarts 1949 Movie of the same name. It never was returned either

Can't help with Sahara, but if you don't have a region locked DVD player (who does these days?), The Lighthorsemen has gone to DVD in Australia (DVD region 4).

Note: the web site I'm linking is in Australia. I haven't bought through them because I can get them from walk in stores near me (I'm in Australia).

The Lighthorsemen

Some other Australian war movies on DVD, from the same web-store.

Breaker Morant
The Odd Angry Shot

And mentioned in another recent thread:

ANZACs
Gallipoli

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:08:46 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't help with Sahara, but if you don't have a region locked DVD player (who does these days?), The Lighthorsemen has gone to DVD in Australia (DVD region 4).

Note: the web site I'm linking is in Australia. I haven't bought through them because I can get them from walk in stores near me (I'm in Australia).

The Lighthorsemen

Some other Australian war movies on DVD, from the same web-store.

Breaker Morant
The Odd Angry Shot

And mentioned in another recent thread:

ANZACs
Gallipoli

Thanks I was going to order "The Lighthorsemen" but as you warned my DVD player is a region "1" only and AUS DVD's won't play- DAMM! I did learn something new though, I was not aware of regonal restrictions! Once again thanks for trying to help.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:43:39 AM EDT
[#21]
www.itvmovieclub.com/itv/images/products/1/25251-large.jpg

I think I'm one of the few who saw this movie as any time I mention it I get strange looks.Great acting and very intense, they somehow conveyed through this movie the sense of urgency these lost soldiers were  feeling . The battle seens although not bad could have been better though, I think I might just be spoiled by modern special fx .
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:32:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Thanks I was going to order "The Lighthorsemen" but as you warned my DVD player is a region "1" only and AUS DVD's won't play- DAMM! I did learn something new though, I was not aware of regonal restrictions! Once again thanks for trying to help.

Depending on exactly which model player you have, it might be possible to unlock it without having to open it up. Quite a few region locked DVD players have a special "maintenance" menu programmed into them and disabling the region lock is a common function of the maintenance menu. I can't say if your player has that menu, not all of them do, but it's worth investigating. In most cases, the menu is accessed by pressing a particular combination/sequence of buttons on the remote (the exact combination is different for each manufacturer). For players that can't be unlocked in this way, there are disks you can buy that have unlock codes burned onto them.

I don't know exactly how to use an unlock disk since my player is not region locked. DVD players must be region unlocked when sold in Aust after a branch of the Aus federal gov passed a ruling that region locking violated Aus corporate competition/fair trading laws. The disks are still manufactured with region lock codes on them, but the players can't be sold here with locking enabled, so they ignore the lock codes on the disks.

I've done a quick search for web sites with unlocking codes but they all seem to be selling disks with the unlock codes or will email you the unlock instructions for your player for a price. The web sites with free instructions for various players seem to have dried up since the last time I looked over a year ago.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:35:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You should see that a few of us put cross of iron on the alltime great war movies thread.
You might not be as impressed.

+1

I'm too cheap to buy it on DVD, but have had it on VHS for decades.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Battleground
Back to Bataan
Halls of Montezuma
The Desert Fox
The Blue Max
When Trumpets Fade
The Dogs Of War

I've seen the above.

Battleground
Back to Bataan
Halls of Montezuma
The Desert Fox

All of these are first rate classics.

The Blue Max is pretty good too, especially noteworthy for Ursula Andress.

When Trumpets Fade is a rather incredible movie that was actually one of the first to show accurate depictions of the realities of war but it was eclisped by the release of Saving Private Ryan.

Dogs of War is also on my favorites list, keep an eye out for Ed O Neil (Al Bundy).
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:23:32 AM EDT
[#26]
The Wild Geese.

A groups of ex-military mercinaries are hired to overthrow the regime of an African dictator (I think Idi Amin was the inspiration for the dictator). DVD region one (US/Canada) release scheduled for late Sept this year. I remember seeing this movie on TV years ago. Not great, but not too bad either. Mostly UK acting cast.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:00:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#28]
+1 on The Lighthorsemen

+1 on The Lost Battalion..that was an A&E movie

+1 on Sword of Gideon...this is Israeli revenge against  Munich terrorists
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You should see that a few of us put cross of iron on the alltime great war movies thread.
You might not be as impressed.

+1

I'm too cheap to buy it on DVD, but have had it on VHS for decades.

DK you can mail it to me I will make 1 archival back for ya on DVD.....
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo

also known as:

Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War (International: English title)

A very good movie, just saw it last week.  It's #244 on IMDB's top 250.  I didn't like the ending but it was definitely worth the rental.

Here's a synopsis from Blockbuster.com:

Korea's leading filmmaker, Kang Je-gyu, directed this epic-scale drama focusing on two brothers caught up in the madness of the war that tore their nation apart in the early '50s. Jin-seok Lee (Weon Bin) is a bright and well-educated young man whose older and more physically imposing brother Jin-tae Lee (Jang Dong-keon) believes he represents the best hope for his family's future.

When both Jin-seok and Jin-tae are called up to fight in the South Korean army following the advance of Communist forces, a wary Jin-tae cuts a deal with his commanding officer -- if he racks up an impressive enough record on the battlefield, the army will give Jin-seok an early release. Jin-tae proves to be a fearless soldier, and is soon recognized as a war hero, but as the conflict wears on, he develops an unhealthy enthusiasm for the violence of the battlefield, and Jin-seok finds himself questioning his big brother's actions, both as a soldier and as a member of his family.

The title Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War refers to the Korean name for the South Korean flag, originally designed in 1876 but outlawed during Japanese rule of the nation, and restored to use in 1948.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Let's not forget Frank Sinatra in Von Ryan's Express

I really liked that film, too.  Pretty fun.  Just caught it on TV on some random afternoon.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:17:20 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
www.itvmovieclub.com/itv/images/products/1/25251-large.jpg

I think I'm one of the few who saw this movie as any time I mention it I get strange looks.Great acting and very intense, they somehow conveyed through this movie the sense of urgency these lost soldiers were  feeling . The battle seens although not bad could have been better though, I think I might just be spoiled by modern special fx .

Saw it when it first came out, and once since.
It's a fairly recent movie, the lack of f/x was due to budget constraints, I'm sure.

Quoted:
When Trumpets Fade is a rather incredible movie that was actually one of the first to show accurate depictions of the realities of war but it was eclisped by the release of Saving Private Ryan.

When Trumpets Fade was a contrived piece of horse droppings.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#33]
The Winter War.
a finnish movie about the russian invasion of finland priot to WWII.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:11:54 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Theres a few here who have heard of it
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:16:25 PM EDT
[#35]
tag.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Let's not forget Frank Sinatra in Von Ryan's Express

that was on tmc for like months last year, it seemed like everytime i surfed by, it was on.

good flick

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:18:29 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
The Winter War.
a finnish movie about the russian invasion of finland priot to WWII.

Our resident Hun loaned me that a couple of years ago on vhs, not a bad movie.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:23:55 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I own Cross of Iron, Breaker Morant and Galipoli.    I wish some of the titles y'all are posting would be available through Netflix.  They all sound good.

A couple of Steve McQueen movies for you....  The Sand Pebbles, while not technically a war movie, there's some good Springfield 03 and BAR action in it, plus it's just a damned good movie.

DVDTracker: You probably already know this but some others may not, Sand Pebbles is a VERY authentic movie, written by a sailor who was actually there, though I forget his name right now, and he wrote several other books also, one on the early days of WWII in the Pacific on the old 4 Stacker DD's and how they managed to hold off the Japs in those old WWI era ships.

I can also vouch personally for SP's authenticity from my father who joined the navy at age 16 and found himself on the Yangtzee River Patrol on the USS John D. Ford (DD-228). I recall back when this movie came out my father taking me to see it. After leaving he told me it had to be written by "a navy man, due to it's detail and authenticity." He further vouched for the actions portrayed but did comment that: ". . . but we never saw any women like her!" referring to the missonary lady.

Great movie and very well done. Here's a pic from the Yangtzee River Patrol for you.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:46:22 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
The Last Bullet (1995)

I just happened to record it years ago. Great film that I wish would get released on DVD.

Highly recommend it.

Sounds like that Lee Marvin movie Hell in the Pacific
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:55:50 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Last Bullet (1995)

Highly recommend it.

Sounds like that Lee Marvin movie Hell in the Pacific

Except these guys both still had their guns. Great cat and mouse engagement movie.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:01:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Zulu Dawn. Late 70's movie that covers events just prior to the event depicted in Zulu.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:44:42 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Watched it tonight, excellent movie!  

I just finished watching it. Great movie!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Watched it tonight, excellent movie!  

I just finished watching it. Great movie!

I just bought it at a Gun Show last weekend.

A couple few of things come to my mind:

1. All those hand-to-hand battles.  I don’t think they happened that often in that war.
2. When Flag Unit charged up the hill the first time I kept thinking, “Wow! Talk about ‘a Target Rich’ environment!”  Give me a Battalion of 155’s and Fire For Effect!
3. How come nobody ever seemed to get haircuts?
4. Machine guns actually ejected spent cartridges!
5. Rifles and other firearms had to be reloaded from time to time!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
The Wild Geese.

A groups of ex-military mercinaries are hired to overthrow the regime of an African dictator (I think Idi Amin was the inspiration for the dictator). DVD region one (US/Canada) release scheduled for late Sept this year. I remember seeing this movie on TV years ago. Not great, but not too bad either. Mostly UK acting cast.

I saw the movie when I went to Jump School.

When they did the HALO out of the Herc there was a loud "AIRBORNE!" shouted from the audience.
½
out of
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Siege at Firebase Gloria.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Go Tell the Spartans

is an interesting VN flick

Essayons
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:09:17 AM EDT
[#48]
+1
When Trumpets Fade
When the guy with the flamethrower runs away, so he whips out the 1911 and shoots the tank engulfing the guy in flames. Damn deserters!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top