Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2005 7:33:12 AM EDT
Sat through this steamer last night.  I want 2 hours and 55 minutes of my life back.

I at least expected a "epic" about Alexander the great would be entertaining, it was not.  Or have some good battles, nope.  Or be at least mildly interesting from a hitory perspective, nope!

Troy sucked and was 100 times better than Alexander.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:41:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Gay fest.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:46:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Troy sucked and was 100 times better than Alexander.

That's all you had to say to remove it from my rental list. If Troy tops it, it must be a steaming pile of crap.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:47:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I almost rented that last night, but chose "Flight of the Phoenix" instead.  It was stupid, but no queers.  I guess there's just nothing good out right now.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:50:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I almost rented that last night, but chose "Flight of the Phoenix" instead.  It was stupid, but no queers.  I guess there's just nothing good out right now.

Get the Jimmy Stewart original. Much better.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:53:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought Troy and Alexander.  I like movies based on history and war.  However, I would have preferred if they did not focus on Alexander's sexual preference.  If he was gay, so be it.  I would have liked more focus on the battles and the strategy behind them.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:56:11 AM EDT
[#6]

I like movies based on history and war

That's pretty much a given if you are here at arfcom. But the movie checklist goes like this:

Weapons - check!

Action - check!

Blood and guts - check!

Sweeping battles - check!

guys in short tight outfits - what the fu...?

faggotry in practice - abort ! abort ! abort!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:54:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I was really impressed with Troy.  They "modernized" the story and still kept the basic and themes of Homer.  Odds are good the movie was far closer to what really happened than "The Illiad."

Still, any movie focusing on the alleged gayness of a classical figure sounds way too "Hollywood" for me.  Heck, I liked how they made Petroneous (sp?) Achilles cousin, to completely eliminate any "gay" suggestions in "Troy."
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Seeing Rosario Dawson topless was this movie's only saving grace.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:28:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been leery to pick it up due to Stone.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#10]
As hard as it is to imagine a movie worse than Troy, Alexander is it. This is not the Oliver Stone of Salvador, Platoon or even Natural Born Killers. This is a man who has no idea what he wants to say and even less of an idea how he doesn't want to say it. Pointless, confusing and mind-numbingly dull I had to resort to watching it at double speed with subtitles just to expedite the excrutiating tedium.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top