Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 8:49:21 PM EDT
I started watching this movie last night about 1/4 to half way through and don't remember what channel on cable I saw it.

After trying to find it on Blockbuster online I find it is part of a series of 19 starting from 1960s!

Anyone see it? I think it was pretty wild but I can't figure out what part of the series I saw based on the discriptions from blockbuster online.

It was set in 19th century and involved 2 rival gangs each with it's own Samuri and the end revieled the Blind Swordsman or Masure as they called him can actually see. It also has a sub plot of a brother and sister gesha team and the brother looks like a woman.

Can anyone help me identify witch one I saw so I can get ahold of it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:03:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Shintaro Katsu starred in 25 classic Zatoichi films including the one currently playing on cable/satellite titled simply, "Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman."

In 2004 Takeshi Kitano (Beat Takeshi) stylishly remade that one calling it, "The Blind Swordman: Zatoichi." Very clever.

Both should be available on DVD at Blockbuster (I rented them both at a local store) with the modern version as a double feature with SONATINE, a Yakuza film with some nice chick-firing M-16 action.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:23:29 AM EDT
[#2]
You saw the new version, the real Zatoichi can't see, and they never alluded to it.  The best way to tell is regarding the actor who plays Ichi, does he have white hair and a clean shaven face?  

It's the new movie.

If you need help making sure it's the right DVD, the cover has a color picture of the Ichi with white hair squatting holding the sword, a red symbol in the background and the rest of the cover is white, title reading "The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi".  Enjoy.

BTW all of the Zatoichi movies are very good.  I've seen at least half of them and haven't run across a bad one yet.  Also pick up a Lone Wolf and Cub, you won't be dissapointed.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:44:47 AM EDT
[#3]
awsome thanks guys I think you hit it right on the head. It was just the discription of the Blind swordsman on blockbuster on line that threw me off.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:00:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Take a stab at watching the old movies as well, especially if you're only renting.  They're quality (if you like the style).
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:46:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok, throwing in a few pics.  What's a thread without pics?

New Zatoichi:

1960's Zatoichi:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top