BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/11/2005 10:40:02 PM EDT
Office Space (1999)

Easily one of my favorite movies.

And like all my serious favorites (Band of Brothers, Tora Tora Tora, The Seven Samurai, etc.) I have the DVD and still get sucked into it whenever I come across it flipping channels. I can pick it up at any point and will probably watch it till the end. And I watch the DVD all the time.

I have easily seen it over 50 times.

To me it is more than a movie but one of films better attempts to explain the meaning of life (or at least define its' meaning). This in addition to giving us important phrases like "assclown."

The film was something of an epiphany for me, or more correctly "satori" and produced a moment of spontaneous enlightenment.

The film is the story of Peter Gibbons and his realization of what is truly important in life. Not since "The Man In The Gray Flannel Suit" (1956) has a film so successfully exposed the "rat race."

And he is not alone in his struggle for a better life.

And of course there are these guys...

And add the perfect girl who is hot but loves to watch reruns of "Kung Fu."

And follow Peter on his quest to "Do Nothing." Quite Zen indeeed.

And you may discover the secret of life is hitting the alarm clock and going back to sleep. Just like you always wanted to do since you were a kid and had to go to school.

So I think I'm gonna stay up late, pop in the DVD and watch it all night. Then I'm gonna sleep in and "Do Nothing" all day tommarow
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 10:41:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 10:41:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Saw it once; that was enough for me.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 10:43:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Did you get the memo about this?

We're now putting cover sheets on the TPS reports.....
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 10:46:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Mmmmm yeah. We gonna need you to go ahead and watch it again.

Link Posted: 7/11/2005 10:49:05 PM EDT
[#5]
"Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately."
"I wouldn't say I've been missing it, Bob."

Great movie.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Bob: Looks like you've been missing quite a bit of work lately. Peter Gibbons: Well, I wouldn't say I've been MISSING it, Bob.

Lawrence: two chicks, at the SAME TIME

classic flick, I could watch it 100 more times!
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 10:53:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I love the movie, and you changed your avatar

The movie really get me in how the lazy guy, Peter, gets promotions and isn't fired or demoted like one should be.  Then the hard workers get fired instead.  I worked at a hosptial where management never told the slackers to do shit, but were on mine, and others asses all the time.  I got so fed up I ended up fired because I bitched about it to management and one slacker too many times.  He told HR I threatened him and got another bitch to back him up.  Anyhow, I can relate to that aspect of it for sure.

Edit: and Jennifer Aniston is not hot, sorry.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 10:54:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Well, ok...but, ummm...I'm...umm....umm....I'm going to set the building on fire.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 10:56:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Lumbergh fucked her....Oh..oh....like a record...
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 10:59:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm gonna show her my "Oh" face. Oh! Oh! Oh!

Great movie.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 10:59:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The movie really get me in how the lazy guy, Peter, gets promotions and isn't fired or demoted like one should be.  Then the hard workers get fired instead.  I worked at a hosptial where management never told the slackers to do shit, but were on mine, and others asses all the time.  I got so fed up I ended up fired because I bitched about it to management and one slacker too many times.  He told HR I threatened him and got another bitch to back him up.  Anyhow, I can relate to that aspect of it for sure.

Sounds like somebody's got a case of the Mondays!  grr grr grr grr
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Yeah, we're gonna go ahead and revoke your credibility license.

Jennifer sluts up nicely. I still remember her on "The Edge" [TV-Series 1992-1993]

Link Posted: 7/11/2005 11:01:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm gonna show her my "O" face!

EDIT
Damn too slow.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 11:01:21 PM EDT
[#14]
"PC Load Letter? What the fuck does that mean?"
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 11:04:23 PM EDT
[#15]
My record for viewings comes in at almost once. It was a marginal comedy at best IMO. For anybody who likes caddyshack...I thought that sucked too. I'm not really a comedy kinda guy though.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 11:05:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like somebody's got a case of the Mondays!  grr grr grr grr

Hardy har har
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 11:06:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jennifer sluts up nicely. I still remember her on "The Edge" [TV-Series 1992-1993]

Uh, no.  Never saw The Edge series, but she has a clown nose.

There was a pic of her on some magazine a few years back and my GF and I were laughing pretty hard at her nose.  It really looks like a Mr. Potato Head nose or something.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 11:06:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Corporate Accounts Payable, Nina speaking. Just a moment.
Corporate Accounts Payable, Nina speaking. Just a moment
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 11:14:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh, no.  Never saw The Edge series, but she has a clown nose.

There was a pic of her on some magazine a few years back and my GF and I were laughing pretty hard at her nose.  It really looks like a Mr. Potato Head nose or something.

Clown nose or not, I bet 10:1 your SO wishes she looked like Jennifer Anniston
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 11:16:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Still have not seen the movie....
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 11:17:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Not once, not ever.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 11:20:22 PM EDT
[#22]
And yet, you got on the internet and found Arfcom??????
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 1:56:01 AM EDT
[#23]
"It's a Jump to Conclusions Mat!"

If I had to choose 5 movies to take with me to a desserted island, that would be one of them.  One of my all time faves.

"I said no salt, NO salt on the margarita!"
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 1:57:38 AM EDT
[#24]
I think the funniest part is when he is freaking out about Lumberg fucking his girlfriend with the coffee!
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 2:12:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Up your ass with the resurrection!
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 2:13:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Damn it feels good to be a gansta.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 2:53:02 AM EDT
[#27]
"Federal Pound you in the ass prison"
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 3:16:04 AM EDT
[#28]
I watch it at least once every two weeks.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 4:17:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Excellent movie, watch it every chance I get.
Now,

"where's my stapler?"

essayons
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 4:22:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Truly great movie.

Never inspired me to go work construction, though.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 4:28:15 AM EDT
[#31]
After hearing about it, my expectations were high when I finally got a copy.

I'm glad it was a free copy.  It was "ok" imo.  Had some good moments, but was not the ROFLOL experience that I had been led to expect.

Scott
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 4:31:11 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
After hearing about it, my expectations were high when I finally got a copy.

I'm glad it was a free copy.  It was "ok" imo.  Had some good moments, but was not the ROFLOL experience that I had been led to expect.

Scott

ever work in a office? if not then most of the ROFL moments probly went over your head.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 4:32:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Mike Judge is a comic genius.

If he never makes anything else worth watching, his gifts of Beavis and Butthead and Office Space will keep him up toward the top of my list.

BTW, I heard rumors that a sequel is in the works to Office Space. Any truth to that?
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 4:37:42 AM EDT
[#34]
My favorite part is when they beat the fax machine to death.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 4:48:57 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Still have not seen the movie....

+1
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 4:59:26 AM EDT
[#36]
"and oh, next Friday is Hawaiian shirt day, so feel free to wear a Hawaiian shirt and jeans"

...total silence from the office workers...
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 5:08:26 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

"You are a very bad person!"

Link Posted: 7/12/2005 5:11:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Same here...watched about 3 minutes of it last nite on AMC, but the bleeping out of the swear words had me hitting the channel button on the remote.  Why do they even bother?  
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 5:14:36 AM EDT
[#39]
somebody stole my stapler, damn i love that movie, all my work buddies always quote the shit out of that move, and all my non office buddies have no idea what were talking about, nor think its funny
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 5:17:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Another great fact about this movie.....

If you've never worked for corporate America, you just may not "get it".

Only those that have worked for Pointy-Haired-Bosses can appreciate Dilbert and only those that have worked for a company like Initech Corp. can fully appreciate this movie.

Great movie.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 5:21:14 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

"...i'll put strychnine in the guacamole..."

i didn't laugh once during the whole movie...it was too damn relevant to my life having ended up as a .gov slave in a cube farm. this and "brazil" are two of my fav's...
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 5:21:47 AM EDT
[#42]
I live Office Space everyday.

Link Posted: 7/12/2005 5:24:11 AM EDT
[#43]
In all honesty, that movie changed my life.

I didn't drop out of Corporate America and start working construction, but it definitely gave me the clarity to see what a joke being a part of that world was and inspired me ultimately to move out of a cubicle and start my own business doing something I love to do on my own terms.

The irony is, a lot of my clients still live in cube land, and whenever I deal with them, I can notice certain attributes that they all share and kind of laugh at it. Like when they say things like "Wanted to touch base with you on..." , "Just an FYI ...", "We're going to need this ASAP (pronounced "Ay-Sap") and so on.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 5:28:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Fuckin' A!
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 5:36:08 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
In all honesty, that movie changed my life.

I didn't drop out of Corporate America and start working construction, but it definitely gave me the clarity to see what a joke being a part of that world was and inspired me ultimately to move out of a cubicle and start my own business doing something I love to do on my own terms.

The irony is, a lot of my clients still live in cube land, and whenever I deal with them, I can notice certain attributes that they all share and kind of laugh at it. Like when they say things like "Wanted to touch base with you on..." , "Just an FYI ...", "We're going to need this ASAP (pronounced "Ay-Sap") and so on.

"FYI, Bob dropped the ball on touching base with Steve on the Vermont deal.  We need to get everyone on the same sheet of music, and start thinking outside the box on this.  It's a real paradigm shift."

BARF!!!
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 5:39:37 AM EDT
[#46]
I worked in an office for a while that looked almost identical (inside) to Innitech.

Fugging A!
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 5:42:57 AM EDT
[#47]
I've worked in the corporate world for several decades. That move portrays a stereotypical preception of corporate workstyle, not reality.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 5:43:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Love Office Space.  I'm self employed, and everytime I think about giving up the struggle, I watch Office Space and I'm good for a few more months on my own
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 5:44:05 AM EDT
[#49]
You ever hear anyone say they have a case of the mondays?  

No.

Shit no man

I believe you'd get your ass kicked for saying something like that.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 5:55:19 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I live Office Space everyday.

Ditto. And my neighbor is in construction and is a good guy, but he doen't say fuggin A all the time.

Great documentary.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top