Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2021 1:42:21 AM EDT
This post is actually just paying homage to my wife for putting up with me while I went down the acoustics/HT rabbit hole. I ran all the cables behind the walls, which was a PITA. Anyways, without further ado:

I had a blast setting this thing up, and it sounds/looks amazing. I'd be happy to share experiences if anyone else wants to go down this route.

TV: Sony XBR75 X900H

Speakers:
Front L/R: Klipsch RP-280FA
Center: Klipsch RP-440C
Surround L/R: Klipsch RP-402S
Surround Rear L/R: Klipsch RP-150M mounted on Monolith Stands
Height F/B L/R: Klipsch R41m
SW: Klipsch R112SW x2

Processing:
Denon X3700H
MiniDSP HD (for dual sub EQ)
Sonamp 260 MkII amplifier for the front L/R

Link Posted: 3/16/2021 1:52:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Well done! Love me some Klipsch
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 3:49:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#3]
What are your room dimensions?

How low do those Klipsch subs go in-room?  Your 3D graph stopped at 20hz.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 9:43:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are your room dimensions?

How low do those Klipsch subs go in-room?  Your 3D graph stopped at 20hz.
View Quote
It's L shaped and bisected down the middle by stairs and doors to the next room. But it's approximately 27'x15'x7.5'.

The Klipsch SW is rated to go down to 26hz. But it's effective range for clean tight bass is probably in the low 30s. If I had a do-over, I would go for some SVS/Monolith subs, but I got these for $300/ea which was a solid deal I couldn't pass up.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 10:36:27 PM EDT
[#5]
You can just a big DIY sub to cover 30hz to 15hz.  I have some 15s that play into the mid bass region and really want to do 4 15s/4 18s.

I'm about to move and get to build my 2nd room so I'm checking out a lot of systems on different forums.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:21:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can just a big DIY sub to cover 30hz to 15hz.  I have some 15s that play into the mid bass region and really want to do 4 15s/4 18s.

I'm about to move and get to build my 2nd room so I'm checking out a lot of systems on different forums.
View Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLBSZKdoQ5c

Check out this channel- he built his own SW and the specs look quite good. I wasn't adventurous enough since this is my first HT build, but in the future...
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:32:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLBSZKdoQ5c

Check out this channel- he built his own SW and the specs look quite good. I wasn't adventurous enough since this is my first HT build, but in the future...
View Quote

I'm familiar with the "Hammer" DIY sub.  But for the lowest octave, you need something like the "Devastator".
BEST DIY SUBWOOFER EVER : 21" Devastator for your HOME THEATER - Order with code Jilesgsg

I don't have the correct 21" sub to build a Devastator but I do have a 21" sub.  A friend of mine videoed it when I was testing it.  
21" Exodus Audio Malestorm Excursion! MASSIVE SUB!

I have 5 custom made 18" subs (4 from Fi Car Audio / 1 from Pink Star Industries).  I have 3 custom made 15" subs (2 from TC Sounds / 1 from Pink Star Industries).  I have parts to make 4 more 15's as soon as I get the voice coils.  I have parts to make 3 12's using LMS technology.  
TC Sounds - The 2010 New LMS-R Subwoofer Line Explained
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Hot damn... I'm really curious what your HT looks like now O_O

Question for you- If I know I have a room mode at around 70hz, is it possible to design the cabinet of a SW to absorb 70hz? Either some sort of membrane or helmholtz resonator?
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#9]
My theater isn't much to look at.  It's more functional.

The best way to flatten the frequency response of a room is to move subs.  There are a few white-papers on how to do it.

I'm using TC Sounds TC-3000 15's in my room and they have a 55hz inductance peak of about 14db.  Without a parametric EQ, my system sounded like a cheap car stereo.

Scroll down to post 70 to see some more of my system.  The center channel was designed by a guy that frequented the Parts Express board and uses Dayton drivers.  They named it to the DIII (third design).  The small sub is a 12" sealed sub using a Stryke Audio driver built by TC Sounds.  It's the sound quality design using the TC2 motor.  The larger sub is a 15" TC-3000 with a silver titanium cone.  There are only a handful of these.  Very few of them passed cosmetic QC and they switched to a black cone.
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/klipsch-sub-12-subwoofer.306540/page-4
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 4:07:30 PM EDT
[#10]

I figured out a solution for some of my bass issues: better integration with the front L/R:

On my first setup, I got lazy with the sub and L/R integration. I solved any of the dips/cancellations by the phase differences by changing the freq response of the L/R below 80hz to be a super aggressive drop. I think that made the sw have to work a lot harder and louder.

I actually spent some time walking the SW distance on Audyssey until I got better alignment of the SW/LR and I think it sounds so much better now. Less boomy, and as a side benefit, much better sound stage.

<25hz extension still nonexistent until I get a better sub. Might pick up a PB2000 or Monolith 12" if I see a good sale, but for now my budget is exhausted!
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 8:10:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Super nice!
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 8:58:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Very nice, but why even bother with commercial subs when you've got a perfectly good infinite baffle sub box jutting out the left side of the room?
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice setup!  @NightHawkIX

I have been using Denon and my tuner/amp is getting outdated.  You are using a similar model to the one in my wish list.  Does it have all of the setup on HDMI output to the monitor?  That is absolutely what I hate about my old model is the user interface.  The on screen is clunky and most of it is on the tiny tuner display, which makes it extremely difficult to set up.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Very nice! Congratulations!
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#15]
that is beautiful.     congrats!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 4:26:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Good job OP, looks great. Acoustic treatments are something most people don't even consider, but it makes a big difference.

Link Posted: 1/27/2022 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have some 15s that play into the mid bass region and really want to do 4 15s/4 18s.
View Quote

My last theater had 4 18s in two sealed enclosures driven by ~4,000w and a Beringer eq. It was ridiculous and awesome. I think the main benefit to it was that even just loafing along it could deliver these crazy deep transients and all the low end you'd ever want. When I was tuning it and fucking around, one of my recessed light bulbs actually snapped off in the socket and dropped to the floor, that was a new one for me.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Very nice, but why even bother with commercial subs when you've got a perfectly good infinite baffle sub box jutting out the left side of the room?
View Quote

It looks like a huge tapped horn to me

For the money the OP has in his subs he did pretty good, the waterfall looks good.  Would be hard pressed to get a good IB setup for that amount of money.

I have four 15s in a manifold into the attic and love it, but it isn't always the easiest setup.  Any leaks will kill response and that big, long flat panel is going to want to resonate big time if you put that much energy directly into it.  It can be done, but it isn't always as quick and easy as people make it out to be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top