Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2021 1:58:04 AM EDT
I’ve seen it many times, not much of a reader though so never read any of the books it was based on.
About the kids, how did kids that young come to be in the service, were they actual enlistees?
Obviously a few of them were officers, how did they get to be officers on a ship that young? In the act where they put the mini ship with the lights in the water and mislead the other ship, then came up behind it in the morning, why does the surprise have the advantage to the point the other ship can only attempt to out distance it. It’s a long ways ahead, seems it could just turn and fight from there?
Why are kids standing at attention like behind the officers when they’re having dinner in that one scene? Are they on kp or something?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've seen it many times, not much of a reader though so never read any of the books it was based on.
About the kids, how did kids that young come to be in the service, were they actual enlistees?
Obviously a few of them were officers, how did they get to be officers on a ship that young? In the act where they put the mini ship with the lights in the water and mislead the other ship, then came up behind it in the morning, why does the surprise have the advantage to the point the other ship can only attempt to out distance it. It's a long ways ahead, seems it could just turn and fight from there?
Why are kids standing at attention like behind the officers when they're having dinner in that one scene? Are they on kp or something?
View Quote
And you expect us to explain to you the structure of 18th century Britain society and the social history of the Royal Navy?

It would take a book.

There were ship's boys and midshipmen.  A life of Nelson might help with midshipmen, but I'm tired.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:18:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And you expect us to explain to you the structure of 18th century Britain society and the social history of the Royal Navy?

It would take a book.

There were ship's boys and midshipmen.  A life of Nelson might help with midshipmen, but I'm tired

View Quote

I appreciate the site suggestions. Correct if anyone can explain that too would be appreciated as it’s a forum for social interaction. Reading books is good certainly, but often it’s more intriguing listening to others in responses.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#3]
A holdover from fuedal times when knights took young boys in as squires, mostly.  

Your family is impoverished with too many mouths to feed and not enough income.  Send your boys off to sea so they can learn a resurrected and honorable trade.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:50:48 PM EDT
[#4]
You really should read the books if you enjoyed the movie that much-- the movie is a loose adaptation of two of the books. The Horatio Hornblower series is excellent too, it had me ready to take the King's shilling when I was a kid-- they will both deepen the stories and make them that much more enjoyable.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#5]
The kids were Midshipmen.  
Not Officers, think Cadets or Officer Candidates.
Note they didn't eat with the Captain in his cabin.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#6]
David Farragut was a Midshipman at age 9 and a Prize Master of a captured ship at age 12 in the war of 1812.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I appreciate the site suggestions. Correct if anyone can explain that too would be appreciated as it's a forum for social interaction. Reading books is good certainly, but often it's more intriguing listening to others in responses.
View Quote
Unfortunately it takes considerable time to review sources, organize thoughts and prepare them in a simplified, yet through manner appropriate for an internet forum.

Obviously no one here lived in Georgian Great Britain or served in the Royal Navy during that period.  Anything anyone "says" is either what they've read or someone told them or a flippant remark.  How does someone with no background in the subject know what's accurate?

Another source is Youtube videos.  Of course these range from useless shit to very good.

This is very complex subject.  This might help with some of your questions.

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Others have answered your cadet questions, but put simply, naval service started early in those times for officers.

As far as your question on the Surprise coming in behind the other ship, but it can only flee... Well, the movie answers this one when Captain explains to Stephen about the "weather gauge." This means that the Surprise has the favorable wind to maneuver and control the engagement. The books go into fascinating detail about the ship handling for the fighting engagements that's only touched upon in the movie.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 2:22:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0870212583?tag=arfcom00-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1848320361?tag=arfcom00-20

View Quote
Exactly.    

For the OP, you can consider that they started apprenticeships at a very young age back then.  

The kids that were studying to be officers came from upper class families.

It was a class system, and class and rank had it's privileges.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Un
Quoted:
The kids were Midshipmen.  
Not Officers, think Cadets or Officer Candidates.
Note they didn't eat with the Captain in his cabin.
View Quote

Unless they were invited.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I always figured the kids were mostly from families of wealth who bought a lower commission for the kids on track towards becoming an officer, then command. The sailors were just laborers who couldn't afford a commission
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top