Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2021 6:05:46 AM EDT
I have a Sony Blu Ray all in one surround sound 5.1 speaker system (front 3 speakers and sub are wired, rear 2 speakers are wireless) that has been perfect for six years.  It just recently started cutting out the sound for a few seconds once every minute or so to every speaker.  It makes the show un-watchable because it is so annoying.  I know the issue is with that system because I can turn it off and listen thru the TV speaker and it works just fine without cutting out.  Nothing has been moved (thus loosening a connection), nothing has been disconnected, nothing has been changed.  All connections have been checked for tightness and are good.

I'm stumped.  All I can figure is that the guts just went bad and it needs to be replaced.  Do you guys agree or am I missing something obvious?  Anything else I should do before I replace it?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:09:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Your thread title says "surround sound speakers."  So it's only the rear speakers that are cutting out?  Does 'wireless' mean bluetooth?  If so, maybe pair an inexpensive bluetooth portable speaker to one of the channels and test.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your thread title says "surround sound speakers."  So it's only the rear speakers that are cutting out?  Does 'wireless' mean bluetooth?  If so, maybe pair an inexpensive bluetooth portable speaker to one of the channels and test.

View Quote

Sorry, I could've been more specific.  All speakers cut out at the same time.
The system is Sony model number BDVN790W.  And I've looked, but I can't find if the rear speakers are bluetooth or something else.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Unfortunately that sounds like how my surround started going out.  It didn't have a wireless component but sounds similar to what you're experiencing.  I found that it started cutting out after the system had warmed up for awhile.  It would be fine at first but then it

would start malfunctioning before the first movie was finished.  Got progressively worse so it was and easy call to make.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:36:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry, I could've been more specific.  All speakers cut out at the same time.
The system is Sony model number BDVN790W.  And I've looked, but I can't find if the rear speakers are bluetooth or something else.
View Quote

Reading the manual, it looks like the surround speakers use a separate surround amplifier that is connected with to the main box with optical cables.  Then a wireless connection is made from the surround amp to the surround speakers.

Page 40 shows advanced setup instructions for that.  The wireless connection can have problems with interference from other wireless devices in the area.  Or there could be a problem with the optical cables (unlikely.)

That doesn't explain why ALL the sound is cutting out, though.  Maybe the system has a feature that mutes all the audio when the connection is lost to the surrounds.  Or maybe the main box preamp is just malfunctioning.

Hope you get it sorted out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top