Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2021 7:25:57 PM EDT
so thats the question.  

The receiver system is older, but not ancient, with a L , R, C and a Sub, along with multi RCAs, HDMIs, an optical or two

The TV is new, has a few HDMI, USBs, a optical, some others

I couldn't get them to work together, I tried using both HDMI and an Optical cable, pushed all the butttons, changed the TV setting to Optical no joy...BUT I'm also not a big audio/video person, I'm sure someone here is though.

Here is the older receiver, similar but with bluetooth.... and the new TV.

IF it makes a difference we are on DirectTV, other cable isn't an option.

IS there a HDMI/USB to RCA connector, or a different optical cable or somthing .... OR is it time to sell and find a sound bar with a sub that is just HDMI/Optical

I'd appreciate any options, even the 'have your wife do it' but I already tired that one, no luck.

stock pic but it really looks the same

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:09:43 AM EDT
[#1]
What is the make/model of your receiver?  It makes it easier to look up the owner's manual. What DirecTV receiver do you have? How is everything connected?  You mentioned optical.  Why?  HDMI carries audio.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is the make/model of your receiver?  It makes it easier to look up the owner's manual. What DirecTV receiver do you have? How is everything connected?  You mentioned optical.  Why?  HDMI carries audio.
View Quote

why optical?, cause I don't know

DirectTV ; main wired receiver is a HS17-500, then wireless to their Genies C41W-500, which has a HDMI to the TV, an available USB and Optical out

The actual audio receiver is the Yamaha posted above , HTR-6130
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:24:54 PM EDT
[#3]
First step is to simplify the install and go from the Genie to the TV using HDMI.  Does that work?  If so, add your receiver back into the mix.

Try page 31 of the owner's manual - https://usa.yamaha.com/products/contents/audio_visual/downloads/manuals/index.html?l=en&c=audio_visual&k=htr-6130
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:08:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I’d run the feed from Direct TV to the Yamaha receiver and let it run the show.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’d run the feed from Direct TV to the Yamaha receiver and let it run the show.
View Quote

Pretty how I have mine setup.  Also since the TV is new are you able to update the firmware on your receiver by chance?  My Yahama receiver is a few years old and updating the firmware via a usb stick improved performance.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:50:51 PM EDT
[#6]
@way-out-west2

How are things going?  I hope you haven't given up and bought something else.

Your Yamaha receiver should be controlling what your TV displays (running the show). Feed all of your inputs to it and use it to select what is displayed. Always turn it on first.

Your TV is last in the lineup feed wise from your Direct TV sub-hub, not first as I think your OP implied.

My Yamaha is slightly different than yours, if that pic means anything. See my pic, I would start with trying to go from your cable/sat source to an input circled in red (and remember if you used "CD" or "DTV/CBL", "DVD" to select the input), and then go from the output in green to your TV. Then play with things, like plugging in a DVD/BluRay player using an input HDMI [the flat connector like in red upper right] or the RCA jacks [colored round, match the cable color(s)] and selecting them as the input with the receiver. Generally speaking, a connector with the little white dots around it (output) goes to a display, or speaker and a connector with no dots is a source (your TV feed, movie player, etc). If you went from your TV to one of the optical inputs and didn't go from the green output to your TV you wouldn't get things to "play together right".

I hope this helps. Others might school me on things, so it is time to chill and . Sometimes it takes awhile for an answer in the sub-forums.

Rob

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:41:04 PM EDT
[#7]
@JoseCuervo

Yeah, I was able to get it to run though the receiver.  

I think you were right, I was trying to trying to go from Direct TV>TV>Receiver.. when it ended up being Direct TV>Receiver>TV .. With this TV Im no longer using and RCA cables to that cleaned it up a bit, I havent tried to add in the DVD/BluRay yet but it should just run the same direct to the Receiver, then making sure I am selecting the correct input options DTV, DVD etc.

Thanks for taking the time to write that up, sure makes more sense now when I read it.

Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top