Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2017 4:34:39 PM EDT
I finally got my vintage Sansui B-2101/C-2101 restored, and my Cerwin Vega D-9's, and AT-15's are stacked in the living room.  I have all of my music digitized, and I'm looking for a dedicated piece of hardware to feed it to the amps.  I've used a PC with a high end sound card in the past, but I'm hoping that by now, there is a better solution.  It needs to be able to stream off of my local network.  Any help will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 3:33:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Dayton Audio WFA02

Stream to your audio receiver but control it with your phone.  Wired and wireless connections available.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:20:04 PM EDT
[#2]
For my 2 channel system, I'm using a Raspberry Pi, Hifiberry dac, and Rune Audio.

Control is via a cell phone app. Easy to use, sound is good. Streaming is done over wifi (Pi 3 has built in wifi).

Pi has HDMI, so sound over that with newer gear is solid. The built in analog audio output is pretty terrible though. So a DAC is pretty much mandatory with vintage equipment. Mine's connected to an old HH Scott tube amp from the 50s, so yeah, no HDMI on that one.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#3]
What I think I'm looking for is something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AWLQ1AY?tag=vglnk-c102-20

Unfortunately, I'm only finding portable devices, with headphone outputs only.   It would work, but not ideally.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:01:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Why doesn't something like the Dayton I linked to above or the Audiocast meet your needs?  They have built in DACs, can feed an audio system and use music on your network as a source using DLNA plus dozens of other sources like Spotify or SiriusXM.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why doesn't something like the Dayton I linked to above or the Audiocast meet your needs?  They have built in DACs, can feed an audio system and use music on your network as a source using DLNA plus dozens of other sources like Spotify or SiriusXM.
View Quote
Thanks, but what I'm looking for is something to feed a high end stereo system.  I don't think those would have the audio quality I'm looking for.   For a long time, I used a PC.  It started out with a good sound card in it, and it sounded okay.  I spent a few hundred bucks on a high end card, and the difference was amazing.  I assumed that by now there were high end boxes with RCA jacks.   There Onkyo I linked above has the emphasis on audio quality that I'm looking for, but it's a portable, intended for headphones.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 4:10:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks, but what I'm looking for is something to feed a high end stereo system.  I don't think those would have the audio quality I'm looking for.   For a long time, I used a PC.  It started out with a good sound card in it, and it sounded okay.  I spent a few hundred bucks on a high end card, and the difference was amazing.  I assumed that by now there were high end boxes with RCA jacks.   There Onkyo I linked above has the emphasis on audio quality that I'm looking for, but it's a portable, intended for headphones.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You check out the Oppo Sonica DAC?  It has the ESS Sabre Pro DAC and can stream from USB and network.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You check out the Oppo Sonica DAC?  It has the ESS Sabre Pro DAC and can stream from USB and network.
View Quote
Aha! Now we're talking.  I had not considered that blu-ray players would have such features.  Thanks!  Off to do research!

ETA:  I just found the Sonica.  Even better.  I was looking at the wrong thing.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 5:44:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just out of curiosity I found a site that shows the Chromecast audio (very similar to the Audicast) can play some bit perfect digital music - link The site is a couple of years old and these devices get firmware updates occasionally.

I'm looking at upgrading my Roku 2 to top of the line model to get optical out.  I'll just let the DAC in my receiver do the conversion.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just out of curiosity I found a site that shows the Chromecast audio (very similar to the Audicast) can play some bit perfect digital music - link The site is a couple of years old and these devices get firmware updates occasionally.

I'm looking at upgrading my Roku 2 to top of the line model to get optical out.  I'll just let the DAC in my receiver do the conversion.
View Quote
That's just it - I don't have a receiver.  I need high quality analog outputs.  What makes the difference that I'm looking for is the analog audio side of things.

Also, streaming to the device from a media server results in loss.  I want a device that can open the files directly over the lan.  I'm not sure the devices that you're looking at can do that.  I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#10]
What's your price range because Crutchfield has a high end streamer for $1,800?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:25:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What's your price range because Crutchfield has a high end streamer for $1,800?
View Quote
Not that high.  I should have stated it up front, but I really didn't know what I was going to find. I'm guessing I could build a small PC for the job for under $500.  Especially if I use the sound card I already have.  I might pay a couple hundred more for the right hardware.  I really like this blu ray player, but I haven't found a real price on them yet.  I'm not sure if they are still available new.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HZNKEXS
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:58:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not that high.  I should have stated it up front, but I really didn't know what I was going to find. I'm guessing I could build a small PC for the job for under $500.  Especially if I use the sound card I already have.  I might pay a couple hundred more for the right hardware.  I really like this blu ray player, but I haven't found a real price on them yet.  I'm not sure if they are still available new.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HZNKEXS?tag=vglnk-c102-20
View Quote
If you want a 105, wait about another month.  The 205 is coming out and people will be dumping their 105s.  Check AGon.  Beware, they hold their value exceptionally well.

And if want a Darbee--prepare to pay.   Lol guys horde them like .22.  

For the used price of a 105, I'd ust get a 205.  Basically the Sonica and the Oppo 203 in one box with analog 7.1 outs, balanced outs, etc.

If you don't need the transport, the Sonica should fit the bill.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:21:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you want a 105, wait about another month.  The 205 is coming out and people will be dumping their 105s.  Check AGon.  Beware, they hold their value exceptionally well.

For the used price of a 105, I'd ust get a 205.  Basically the Sonica and the Oppo 203 in one box with analog 7.1 outs, balanced outs, etc.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HZNKEXS?tag=vglnk-c102-20

I saw that the 105 has the capability to stream pandora and other services. I didn't see where the Sonica could do that.  Anyway, I don't have a CD player anymore, either.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:55:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I saw that the 105 has the capability to stream pandora and other services. I didn't see where the Sonica could do that.  Anyway, I don't have a CD player anymore, either.
View Quote
The 10x series has all of the streaming capabilities/apps.  The 20x series stripped all of the streaming (audio and video) apps and are dedicated physical players.  

I believe you can stream services from your phone to the Sonica DAC using the Sonica app and wireless.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 8:19:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Just a small update on the 203.  

I started ripping my CDs to FLAC files.  I setup a DLNA server and am streaming the lossless FLACs to the 203 and playing through the Marantz.  It sounds incredible.

You still wouldn't be able to stream Pandora, etc from the 203 but the network streaming is G2G.

Now I just have to rip about 400 CDs
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 9:45:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just a small update on the 203.  

I started ripping my CDs to FLAC files.  I setup a DLNA server and am streaming the lossless FLACs to the 203 and playing through the Marantz.  It sounds incredible.

You still wouldn't be able to stream Pandora, etc from the 203 but the network streaming is G2G.

View Quote
I started looking at DAC's with USB inputs.  I think I'm going that route.  Right now, I like this one...

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/hifi-and-home-cinema/dacmagic-plus

$350 on amazon.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 9:53:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have about 750 that I plan to unbox and organize.  I ripped all mine as MP3's years ago.  I plan to selectively re-rip them as FLAC's as I get around to listening to them.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:52:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I ripped about 1,200 CD's in about 6 weeks but I work from home and my ripping PC sits beside my work PC.  I use https://www.poikosoft.com

It grabbed the correct artist, title and track list 90% of the time so there was only minor amounts of typing.  Album art was a little less accurate.  All lossless formats are supported.  

I use the same software to convert all of the lossless files to mp3 at 320kbps for listening in my car.  

I save them on a NAS drive running a RAID array because I have a lot of time invested in this project and I don't want to repeat it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 6:57:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I ripped about 1,200 CD's in about 6 weeks but I work from home and my ripping PC sits beside my work PC.  I use https://www.poikosoft.com

It grabbed the correct artist, title and track list 90% of the time so there was only minor amounts of typing.  Album art was a little less accurate.  All lossless formats are supported.  

I use the same software to convert all of the lossless files to mp3 at 320kbps for listening in my car.  

I save them on a NAS drive running a RAID array because I have a lot of time invested in this project and I don't want to repeat it.
View Quote
This is what Im doing now except Im using EAC.  

Like ske174, I ripped all my CDs to mp3 years ago.  I'll keep the mp3s for the car but I wanted to re-rip them into lossless for home.  Hell, even the boat can play flac via USB or bluetooth.  

I have my ripping PC sitting next to my main PC and Im just grabbing a stack of CDs at a time. As Im sitting here working, I'll feed it CDs.  And yeah, I don't want to go through this process again.  

I have a considerable amount of multichannel music (SACD, DVD-A, BD-A) that I need to figure out next.  This is where having a 105 would be nice because it can rip SACDs.   They took that lovely feature out of the 20x series.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Welp, here's what I bought, and I'm very pleased.  It sounds amazing.  Thanks for the replies!

SMSL M8 ES9018K2M 24Bit / 384KHz DSD256 DAC Optical/Coaxial/ XMOS USB Asynchronous Decoder
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top