Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2015 1:47:56 PM EDT
I just got a new Onkyo TX-NR535 receiver. I know its not the greatest but it was dirt cheap ($185 shipped NIB). I'm in an apartment for the time being and will mostly use it for music and some movies so I don't need a lot of power or volume.

I'd like to get a pair of tower speakers to go with it. Cost is a major factor (I do not want to spend more the $500 for the pair, less would be better) and while I do have a sub I can use if need be, I'd prefer something with a good full range sound that can hold their own w/o a sub? Eventually when I'm back in a house I will use these as either fronts or rears in a 5.1 arrangement. As for sound, I'm all about clarity and clean, authentic sound. I generally prefer very "bright" dome tweeters over horn types and tight punchy mids. I like the low end bass too and I will run the sub for that if need be as long as the mids and highs really impress.

I was kind of looking at Polk Tsi line (probably the 400)? Price isn't bad and they generally get decent reviews but I doubt they produce enough low end on their own? Not sure what else I should be considering? Minor points but I prefer classic styling and name brands that I can hopefully listen to in person before purchase.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just got a new Onkyo TX-NR535 receiver. I know its not the greatest but it was dirt cheap ($185 shipped NIB). I'm in an apartment for the time being and will mostly use it for music and some movies so I don't need a lot of power or volume.

I'd like to get a pair of tower speakers to go with it. Cost is a major factor (I do not want to spend more the $500 for the pair, less would be better) and while I do have a sub I can use if need be, I'd prefer something with a good full range sound that can hold their own w/o a sub? Eventually when I'm back in a house I will use these as either fronts or rears in a 5.1 arrangement. As for sound, I'm all about clarity and clean, authentic sound. I generally prefer very "bright" dome tweeters over horn types and tight punchy mids. I like the low end bass too and I will run the sub for that if need be as long as the mids and highs really impress.

I was kind of looking at Polk Tsi line (probably the 400)? Price isn't bad and they generally get decent reviews but I doubt they produce enough low end on their own? Not sure what else I should be considering? Minor points but I prefer classic styling and name brands that I can hopefully listen to in person before purchase.
View Quote

In order to get the lows to come to life in towers your going to need power, and that is hard to come by in a AVR only setup.  I have an Onkyo TX-NR808, Carver 250x3 channel amp, and Polk Audio RTi A7 towers, CSi A4 center channel, and FXi A4 surrounds.  I originally ran this setup on the AVR only and it was my first real system. It sounded great and I was happy. Then the upgrade bug came along and I started shopping for Amps. After upgrading to the Carver amp I couldn't go back to running towers off of an AVR. Its a huge difference.

What direction you go kind of depends on what your end goal is. You say your going to end up in a house some time so I would go this direction: Get a better pair of bookshelf speakers for now, and let your sub do the low end. Your AVR will power them a lot better than a set of towers. Then when you get in to house start looking at AVR's with amplifier pre outs, external amps, and the matching set of towers to your current book shelf, and center channel. Use your current bookshelf speakers as side or rear surrounds.

Also don't be afraid to buy from Polk's ebay referb store. I got my center channel from them and it was in new condition. There were no cosmetic flaws that I could see at all.

Here is a set of RTi A3's for $275 shipped
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-RTiA3-BLACK-Bookshelf-Speakers-PAIR-/361285581202

Or the smaller RTi A1's for $220
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-RTiA1-BLACK-Bookshelf-Speakers-from-PAIR-/361311461698
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:01:12 AM EDT
[#2]
jbooker82 - Thanks for the info and advice. I have seriously considered bookshelf speakers. One upside is when I do upgrade, this receiver and a set of BS speakers would go well in the shop. The down side is I know with BS speakers, a sub will be almost mandatory and in my current setup, I have no place to set the BS speakers meaning I will have to either buy stands or wall mounts (my preference if I go that route)
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:12:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Old Infinity IL-50's or 60's. I had 60's for fronts and 50's rears and a CC3. Yeah it was old, but not as old as the 4'JBL- L300's I had, I should have kept those monsters.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I am partial to Infinity RS series.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:35:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Visit your local high fi shop and listen to some $500 speakers.  Much better new and used options for the same $$$.

Polk's are not a good value, IMO, except for the bookshelf sized speakers.  Their larger speakers are stupid overpriced.  You can get much better quality, for the same price, from the smaller companies.

I've enjoyed my Polk bookshelfs (x4) for years, but there are too many great speakers to buy the more expensive Polk's.  The $500-$1000 Polk's are no where near the quality of what you can get at most HiFi shops.

I also like large speakers but on a budget you'll get better quality from the mains if you get smaller speakers and let the sub's handle the lowest octave.  No budget I would have speakers as big as refrigerators in my living room.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:36:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Snag a pair of Klipsch Kg 4's off Craig's list. I see them all the time for $200-$250 a pair. Best bang for the buck in a quality speaker going.

Thank me later.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Take a look at Fluance speakers. For the money, they do a great job. I have the xl7f towers and am happy.  I also have the sub, but could have lived without it. Buy directly from them and you have a 30 day return policy. They have 4 finishes, and the fit and finish is impressive.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 7:35:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I love me Paradigms!!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 3:23:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I was very tempted by the Fluance speakers but ended up going with the Polk RTi A3's. I would have ordered them directly from Polk via their e-bay store but I really wanted the Cherry ones that should match my console and look pretty sweet. Polk didn't have the Cherry ones listed but found another dealer on ebay that had the Cherry ones NIB for $325 shipped. Should get them next week.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Snag a pair of Klipsch Kg 4's off Craig's list. I see them all the time for $200-$250 a pair. Best bang for the buck in a quality speaker going.

Thank me later.
View Quote

I have 2 pair of Kg4 speakers.  Absolutely love them.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 2:05:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well I was very tempted by the Fluance speakers but ended up going with the Polk RTi A3's. I would have ordered them directly from Polk via their e-bay store but I really wanted the Cherry ones that should match my console and look pretty sweet. Polk didn't have the Cherry ones listed but found another dealer on ebay that had the Cherry ones NIB for $325 shipped. Should get them next week.
View Quote

Let us know what you think when you get them.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 9:13:56 AM EDT
[#12]
......in need of different set of speakers to replace my old JBL CF-120's.

Gonna look into into the KG'4's.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well believe it or not, I just got them last week! Long story but the short version is... Turns out the seller on e-bay didn't actually have them in stock. Couple of back and forths and missed delivery dates and I was getting pretty PO'ed but uncharacteristically for me I kept my cool. The seller turned out to be a stand up guy. Got me a real EDD and offered to either refund my money or sell them to me for half price if I was willing to wait? I choose to wait it out and he made good on his word. So even though it took longer then expected, I finally have my a pair of BNIB Cherry Polk RTi-A3's delivered for $162.50!

So how do they sound? Well in all honestly not as good as I had hoped. Don't get me wrong, they sound good but maybe my expectations were a little too high? Based on the reviews I've read and their overall size and MSRP, I was kind of expecting to be blown away? The high end is great but they seem a little lacking in the mid-range and low end. Low end I kind of expected and my powered sub compensates for that but I'm a little disappointed in the mid-range.

Now in fairness, these are geared more towards AV rather then music. They are still new and not fully broken in yet. I'm running them off a lower end AVS and I haven't tweaked anything yet. Also, I mounted them to the wall using the factory hanging bracket but these speakers have a rear facing port so they could probably benefit from moving them away from the wall a little bit? Overall I'm very pleased for the money spent. They sound good, look great and suit my current needs well.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:16:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So how do they sound? Well in all honestly not as good as I had hoped. Don't get me wrong, they sound good but maybe my expectations were a little too high? Based on the reviews I've read and their overall size and MSRP, I was kind of expecting to be blown away? The high end is great but they seem a little lacking in the mid-range and low end. Low end I kind of expected and my powered sub compensates for that but I'm a little disappointed in the mid-range.

Now in fairness, these are geared more towards AV rather then music. They are still new and not fully broken in yet. I'm running them off a lower end AVS and I haven't tweaked anything yet. Also, I mounted them to the wall using the factory hanging bracket but these speakers have a rear facing port so they could probably benefit from moving them away from the wall a little bit? Overall I'm very pleased for the money spent. They sound good, look great and suit my current needs well.
View Quote

Yea that is their home theater line. Which is why they sound bright with music. You can tweek them a little with the EQ in your receiver. My RTi A7's sound better when they can be pulled a foot or so away from the wall. You'll will need a powered sub for the low end with a pair of book shelf's if your wanting any kind of low end.

What seller did you buy them from. That's a real good price and you could probably flip them for your money back if you end up not liking them. Just make sure to keep the box and packing until you make up your mind.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:14:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Take a look at Fluance speakers. For the money, they do a great job. I have the xl7f towers and am happy.  I also have the sub, but could have lived without it. Buy directly from them and you have a 30 day return policy. They have 4 finishes, and the fit and finish is impressive.
View Quote

I've heard this is true.  Visit audioholics.com.  There are also some similar priced speakers from other mfgs that are also internet direct.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:15:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I love me Paradigms!!!
View Quote

These are also a good choice.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:16:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I scrolled down after replying.  I see you already got speakers.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:13:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yea that is their home theater line. Which is why they sound bright with music.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yea that is their home theater line. Which is why they sound bright with music.

Yeah I knew that going in and generally speaking, I like bright highs. Back when I was really into car audio, I had some titanium dome tweeters that were very bright and I loved them.

Quoted:
You can tweek them a little with the EQ in your receiver. My RTi A7's sound better when they can be pulled a foot or so away from the wall. You'll will need a powered sub for the low end with a pair of book shelf's if your wanting any kind of low end.

Yeah, I'll play with them a little but I spent a lot of time listening to them on Sunday while watching the games (TV on mute). I listen to a very wide range of music and the more I listened to them, the more I like them. I think a few tweaks on the EQ and they will be right were I want them.

Quoted:
What seller did you buy them from.

I'd rather not post that on an open forum but IM me if you are really interested.

Quoted:
That's a real good price and you could probably flip them for your money back if you end up not liking them. Just make sure to keep the box and packing until you make up your mind.

I've kept the original box/packing for now but I'll probably be keeping them.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:32:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'd rather not post that on an open forum but IM me if you are really interested.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
What seller did you buy them from.

That's OK I was just wondering if it was Polk's ebay store. I am not interested in getting any more stereo stuff right now or ratting a seller out. You got a great deal and partially because the seller decided to make good on a sale instead of just canceling the sale.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:55:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Nope, it was not the Polk store and yes, I ended up getting a great deal. Thanks for all you input!
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:59:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Wharfedale

eta: nvm
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:24:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Definitive Tech Pro Cinema 400   OR Polk Audio TL1600...

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 2:46:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I see OP bought speakers already, but for those in a similar situation - check out the new line of ELAC speakers, designed by Andrew Jones.  They are being hailed as the new bang-for-the-buck kings.

http://elac.us/speakers/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top