Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2010 5:26:06 PM EDT
I have this TV, it's a Toshiba and it's about 7 years old.  On the front it says "High Definition Television HDTV monitor"  it also says "TheatreWideHD."  I never gave hi-def much though before, but now I'm wondering...is this TV really hi-def?  I don't see an HDMI plug anywhere.

pic of the back
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:48:17 PM EDT
[#1]
dvi is high def but lacks Right Left audio i think. look up DVI to HDMI to hook it up to your bluray or reciver. the lack of audio is not that big of a deal if you have a sound system to get your audio but may be a headach if you just want to wath tv without your stereo being on.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#2]
or just stick with your component video and RL audio for the win
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, like aks74man said, get a DVI-to-HDMI adapter if you need HDMI connectivity (which won't carry your audio signal, but you can send that to your receiver separately...assuming you're using a receiver).
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies, guys.  I really don't know anything about this.

I am just using my PS3 now connected to the TV with the white, red and yellow cables.  So, I need to get a DVI to HDMI adapter.  Are these like the HDMI cables where they're way overpriced in stores, where's the best place to get one?  What should I do about sound since I'm running the PS3?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#5]
in simple mans terms "Blue Green Red" with "white red"  composit , is better than "red white yellow" component.
I would think that the ps3 would support the composit video.
the high cost hdmi are what they are "the most effective way to get highdef with a stereo audio input"
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:01:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, it's HD but I don't think it'll do 1080p, the highest HD resolution.  Generally the HDMI connector implies that capability.

HDMI carries up to 8 channels of audio over its connector and cabling, but if you're only using the TV to watch the picture

and the audio is being routed to your surround sound receiver,  this is a zero issue.

Component video (red, green, and blue coax connectors) may be either standard definition or HD.   If they're only SD capable,

an HD input signal won't give you a picture.

CJ
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:48:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I am just using my PS3 now connected to the TV with the white, red and yellow cables.  So, I need to get a DVI to HDMI adapter.  Are these like the HDMI cables where they're way overpriced in stores, where's the best place to get one?  What should I do about sound since I'm running the PS3?

monoprice.com you can get a HDMI cable the HDMI to DVI adapter for under $10 shipped. Are you using the tv for all your audio too? If so then you would have to use the red/white inputs on the tv by the DVI port for the audio.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:18:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

monoprice.com you can get a HDMI cable the HDMI to DVI adapter for under $10 shipped. Are you using the tv for all your audio too? If so then you would have to use the red/white inputs on the tv by the DVI port for the audio.

Cool, monoprice is where I got my HDMI cable...before I looked to see if my TV had an HDMI plug.  

As of right now I'm using the TV for all the audio, but I've got an old surround sound system that I'll probably hook up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top