Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2010 7:49:36 PM EDT
Clooney's a screaming liberal, but he's a damned good actor, and he knows how to spot a good project.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091202/REVIEWS/912029999

This is a fantastic movie.  Check it out.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:14:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the thematic depth and the subtlety with which it's treated.

Clooney's character is a guy who's made a life out of his job, to the extent that he doesn't even have an apartment any more.  He lives out of hotels.  Meanwhile, his job is firing people, and trying to help them accept that the end of their job isn't the end of their life.

The dichotomy is never really dwelled on or pointed out, but it's always there under the surface.

So, in a way, while the movie is about layoffs and workaholics, it's actually cathartic.  It draws attention to the notion that there's more to life than work.

Sort of depressing, but also uplifting.

Very well made.

The cast is also exceptional.  Clooney and the two lead actresses are all incredible in their roles.

And the direction is very passionate.  Reitman was handed, at one point during production, a tape with a song on it.  The song was preceded by the singer explaining to Reitman why he might want to use it in his movie, as the guy wrote it after getting laid off and reading the book the movie's based on.  Reitman liked the authenticity of the introduction so much that he includes it when the song plays during the credits sequence.

There's very little formula in the movie, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#2]
It was very good.  There is a scene where Clooney's heart sinks and you can damn near feel it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:37:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It was very good.  There is a scene where Clooney's heart sinks and you can damn near feel it.

I observed to a buddy that few actors could pull off the fuming desperation on his face, in the meeting where he first sees the plan to eliminate travel.

I don't like him, but he knows how to act, and he avoids typical hollywood projects.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 11:30:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it was a very good movie.  All the dialogue was well written.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:16:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Great movie, I really enjoyed it!
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#6]
When that twilight chick burst out crying -

Good movie.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:05:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I liked it until he showed up at the chick's house...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top