Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2008 4:10:18 AM EDT
My 14 year old son is going in this morning for a spine fusion surgery. My 15 year old went through this back in Feb. He was supposed to be in the hospital for a week but had bad complications and was at Mpls kids for 2 months.  We are going through the Mayo clinic this time. I hope that it is just jitters but I have a bad feeling. Any thought and prayers would be greatly appreciated. Will try and post update later. Surgery will take 10 to 12 hrs. Gonna be a long day.
Link Posted: 12/11/2008 4:17:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Stay strong.
Link Posted: 12/11/2008 4:27:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/11/2008 4:30:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Mayo is an outstanding, leading-edge facility. I'm sure he'll be OK there. I had a friend from church in the Arizona facility for intestinal cancer; she and her husband still sing their praises for that place!

Best of luck to your son and your family.
Link Posted: 12/11/2008 5:39:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Loving Father, SGTStewart entrusts his son to your care this day; guide with wisdom and skill the minds and hands of the medical people who minister in your Name, and grant that every cause of illness be removed, SGTStewart's son may be restored to soundness of health and learn to live in more perfect harmony with you and with those around him. Through Jesus Christ. Amen.

Link Posted: 12/11/2008 7:03:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Amen.  I pray the Lord gives you peace and strength to endure.
Link Posted: 12/11/2008 7:08:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Prayers inbound.
Link Posted: 12/12/2008 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is an update on the surgery.  Everything went great.  He was in the OR for just over 12 1/2 hours.  Since he was on his back for the entire operation his face was very swollen.  He looked like he went 12 round with a heavy weight.  Today the swelling is mostly gone.  His eyes are still swollen shut.  He says that he feels blind.

Most do not know that my two boys were born with a genetic muscle disease.  This is the reason for the surgery.  My oldest had 92 degree curve in his back and the younger had a 63 degree curve.  This surgery will help with respiratory problems and with some discomfort while sitting in their wheelchairs.

Thanks for all of the support and I will try to post more tomorrow.

SGTStewart

Thanks Cattitude
Link Posted: 12/12/2008 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I read this, this morning prayed and hoped for good news. hope the healing goes well for all!
Link Posted: 12/12/2008 6:39:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Here is an update on the surgery.  Everything went great.  He was in the OR for just over 12 1/2 hours.  Since he was on his back for the entire operation his face was very swollen.  He looked like he went 12 round with a heavy weight.  Today the swelling is mostly gone.  His eyes are still swollen shut.  He says that he feels blind.

Most do not know that my two boys were born with a genetic muscle disease.  This is the reason for the surgery.  My oldest had 92 degree curve in his back and the younger had a 63 degree curve.  This surgery will help with respiratory problems and with some discomfort while sitting in their wheelchairs.

Thanks for all of the support and I will try to post more tomorrow.

SGTStewart

Thanks Cattitude

Just saw this and very glad that the surgery went so well. Prayed and asked the Lord to give him a speedy recovery and to draw your family closer to Him through this situation.

Link Posted: 12/13/2008 8:29:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Lord help them recover quickly!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2008 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Prayers for recovery and advancement in our technologies to help them!
Link Posted: 12/13/2008 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/13/2008 5:40:08 PM EDT
[#13]
yes!

Prayers IN-BOUND!

GOD IS A MIGHTY HEALER!

Praise the Lord!
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#14]
My son is doing great! They removed two I.V.s today(one in each wrist) and the catheter that emptied his bladder.  He still has one large line that is in the carotid artery in his neck.  The swelling is mostly gone in his face now.  He can open both eyes with no problems.  He was up in a wheelchair for about a half an hour this afternoon.  If things keep going well he should be home by the end of the week.

Once again thanks for all of the thoughts and prayers.

SGTStewart
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 3:41:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Glad to hear it!  I'll keep 'em coming!
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 7:13:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#17]
That is great news!

Pr 25:25 [As] cold waters to a thirsty soul, so [is] good news from a far country.

Link Posted: 12/15/2008 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My son is doing great! They removed two I.V.s today(one in each wrist) and the catheter that emptied his bladder.  He still has one large line that is in the carotid artery in his neck.  The swelling is mostly gone in his face now.  He can open both eyes with no problems.  He was up in a wheelchair for about a half an hour this afternoon.  If things keep going well he should be home by the end of the week.

Once again thanks for all of the thoughts and prayers.

SGTStewart

Good to hear I will keep him in my prayers!
May he continue to get better.
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 4:18:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Glory be to God!!

I have Great News! My son is now at home!! He is so happy to be at home, and in his own bed. We got the green light around 1:30 this afternoon. I am so glad he is home, now I feel like I could sleep for a week.

Thanks everyone for all of the prayers and if anything changes I will post an update.

SGTStewart

Link Posted: 12/17/2008 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#20]

I'll upload a few more prayers for ya that things stay in the green.
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 8:43:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Glory be to God!!

I have Great News! My son is now at home!! He is so happy to be at home, and in his own bed. We got the green light around 1:30 this afternoon. I am so glad he is home, now I feel like I could sleep for a week.

Thanks everyone for all of the prayers and if anything changes I will post an update.

SGTStewart

Praise God hes home!!
Hope he gets back to 100% soon!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 9:06:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Good news!
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Good news!

Very good.  I pray your boy continues to heal.
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#24]
prayers inbound
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:09:54 AM EDT
[#25]

This is my spine. I had my first neck fusion when  was around 11. Had 2nd at 13 and full spine around 15. I turn 19 in a couple weeks. My surgeries were done at St. Louis Childrens by Dr. Lenke. He is the only man who is touching my spine. If your son has any further issues I urge you to call him. He is world kown for his work and I can honestly say without him I wouldn't be here. He was the only one with the balls to operate on me and did a flawless job.

I was born with a conginital spinal cord abnormality in which not all of my vertebraes formed causing the muscles to not recieve all the signals sent by the brain. This caused the muscles to pull in odd ways causing major defects. It started with my head slowly falling to my chest which put the spinal cord under mass compression and I had temporary paralysis. Underwent neck fusion 1. Fast forward it wasn't strong enough so we went to lenke and he beefed it up
and I got alot better. BUUUUUUT then my back thought it would be cool to develop kyphosis. So lenke fused the entire thing and it hasn't moved a bit. Both surgeries by lenke I was out within a week.

I know what your son is going through. If your son ever needs anyone to talk to lemme know.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 4:34:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the info.  I am glad that the surgeries have helped you.  I will show both of my boys this, I think they might like to read and see the pictures.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top