Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/3/2008 3:18:27 PM EDT
As long as I can remember I have never read in the Bible anything about Dinosaurs but today in my national government class we were discussing religion in school and one of the other students said that the Bible mentions the Dinosaurs.  I know that their is not a mention to the Dinosaurs in the Bible but the teacher told us to go home and look.  

So my question to you is, Is their a mention of Dinosaurs in the Bible and if so what book, chapter, verse can I find it in.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:22:34 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a story about the world prior to Adam and Eve, being inhabited by beats, I heard it once, where this story can be found I havent a clue.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Some contend that the "leviathans" and "behemoths" mentioned are dinosaurs.*
There is another term, a hebrew one, but it escapes me at the moment.

*Personally, I disagree with the notion that implies that men and dinosaurs ever lived side by side.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:26:16 PM EDT
[#3]
The book of Job, chapter 40 discusses two kinds of creatures, Leviathan and Behemoth, that many believe to be descriptions of dinosaur like creatures.  Its conjecture, but that's generally the passage and the two creature descriptions that are used.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The book of Job, chapter 40 discusses two kinds of creatures, Leviathan and Behemoth, that many believe to be descriptions of dinosaur like creatures.  Its conjecture, but that's generally the passage and the two creature descriptions that are used.

I am going to look this up and read.

Thank you all
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:57:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am going to look this up and read.

Thank you all

Read for yourself the description of these animals.  They seem like dinosaurs to me.  Despite what the critics say.  The bible just didn't use our contemporary term "dinosaur".  That's what I believe.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Exaxtly what JJREA said. The word "dinosaur" was invented by an Englishman, Sir Richard Owen, in 1841. Before that they were called Dragons in many different cultures.

the bible does mention dragons as well as leviathan, a "fiery flying serpent" and behemoth (which is even described as a Dinosaur).

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#7]
height=8
Quoted:

*Personally, I disagree with the notion that implies that men and dinosaurs ever lived side by side.

That is a foolish thing to say sir. I respectfully challenge your evidence to back this up. All throughout history there are stories of dragons. there are Egyptian, Sumerian, Babylonian and many other drawings that look exactly like dinosaurs. These were done long before any reconstruction of bones, which means that they wouldnt even know what they looked like unless they saw one.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
As long as I can remember I have never read in the Bible anything about Dinosaurs but today in my national government class we were discussing religion in school and one of the other students said that the Bible mentions the Dinosaurs.  I know that their is not a mention to the Dinosaurs in the Bible but the teacher told us to go home and look.  

So my question to you is, Is their a mention of Dinosaurs in the Bible and if so what book, chapter, verse can I find it in.

So... rather than look... ah, nevermind.

Job:  Leviathan, Behemoth.  Remember the Bible is not a science book; it is the story of Salvation... Dinosaurs, while cool, have little to do with that.
Matt
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:26:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is a foolish thing to say sir. I respectfully challenge your evidence to back this up. All throughout history there are stories of dragons. there are Egyptian, Sumerian, Babylonian and many other drawings that look exactly like dinosaurs. These were done long before any reconstruction of bones, which means that they wouldnt even know what they looked like unless they saw one.

Exactly.
Matt
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Job:  Leviathan, Behemoth.  Remember the Bible is not a science book; it is the story of Salvation... Dinosaurs, while cool, have little to do with that.
Matt

+1
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:07:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Job 40:

15 Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox.

16 Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly.

17 He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together.

18 His bones are as strong pieces of brass; his bones are like bars of iron.

19 He is the chief of the ways of God: he that made him can make his sword to approach unto him.

20 Surely the mountains bring him forth food, where all the beasts of the field play.

21 He lieth under the shady trees, in the covert of the reed, and fens.

22 The shady trees cover him with their shadow; the willows of the brook compass him about.

23 Behold, he drinketh up a river, and hasteth not: he trusteth that he can draw up Jordan into his mouth.

24 He taketh it with his eyes: his nose pierceth through snares.

Job 41:

1 Canst thou draw out leviathan with an hook? or his tongue with a cord which thou lettest down?

2 Canst thou put an hook into his nose? or bore his jaw through with a thorn?

3 Will he make many supplications unto thee? will he speak soft words unto thee?

4 Will he make a covenant with thee? wilt thou take him for a servant for ever?

5 Wilt thou play with him as with a bird? or wilt thou bind him for thy maidens?

6 Shall the companions make a banquet of him? shall they part him among the merchants?

7 Canst thou fill his skin with barbed irons? or his head with fish spears?

8 Lay thine hand upon him, remember the battle, do no more.

9 Behold, the hope of him is in vain: shall not one be cast down even at the sight of him?

10 None is so fierce that dare stir him up: who then is able to stand before me?

11 Who hath prevented me, that I should repay him? whatsoever is under the whole heaven is mine.

12 I will not conceal his parts, nor his power, nor his comely proportion.

13 Who can discover the face of his garment? or who can come to him with his double bridle?

14 Who can open the doors of his face? his teeth are terrible round about.

15 His scales are his pride, shut up together as with a close seal.

16 One is so near to another, that no air can come between them.

17 They are joined one to another, they stick together, that they cannot be sundered.

18 By his neesings a light doth shine, and his eyes are like the eyelids of the morning.

19 Out of his mouth go burning lamps, and sparks of fire leap out.

20 Out of his nostrils goeth smoke, as out of a seething pot or caldron.

21 His breath kindleth coals, and a flame goeth out of his mouth.

22 In his neck remaineth strength, and sorrow is turned into joy before him.

23 The flakes of his flesh are joined together: they are firm in themselves; they cannot be moved.

24 His heart is as firm as a stone; yea, as hard as a piece of the nether millstone.

25 When he raiseth up himself, the mighty are afraid: by reason of breakings they purify themselves.

26 The sword of him that layeth at him cannot hold: the spear, the dart, nor the habergeon.

27 He esteemeth iron as straw, and brass as rotten wood.

28 The arrow cannot make him flee: slingstones are turned with him into stubble.

29 Darts are counted as stubble: he laugheth at the shaking of a spear.

30 Sharp stones are under him: he spreadeth sharp pointed things upon the mire.

31 He maketh the deep to boil like a pot: he maketh the sea like a pot of ointment.

32 He maketh a path to shine after him; one would think the deep to be hoary.

33 Upon earth there is not his like, who is made without fear.

34 He beholdeth all high things: he is a king over all the children of pride.

The best parts in RED!!!

Dinos in the Bible FTW!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Actually, the Bible does have many scientific facts in it. They knew things thousands of years ago that we just found out a few hundred ago, I.E. the earth circular not flat.

just a cool article here (and not from a christian perspective) about dinosaur blood cells and soft tissue being found in a T-Rex bone discovered in Montana. I dont think it would stay preserved like that for 60 million years.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/dinosaur.html
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>
All throughout history there are stories of dragons. there are Egyptian, Sumerian, Babylonian and many other drawings that look exactly like dinosaurs. These were done long before any reconstruction of bones, which means that they wouldnt even know what they looked like unless they saw one.

Exactly.
Matt

Don't for get the ancient cultures of the far east who to this day identify their culture and heritage through fire-breathing dragons!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:54:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Young Earth Creationists like to say Jesus walked with dinosaurs while claiming the earth is ~6,000 years old.

Check out Dr. Dino and Dinosaur Adventureland.

They're pretty stupid.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Actually, the Bible does have many scientific facts in it. They knew things thousands of years ago that we just found out a few hundred ago, I.E. the earth circular not flat.

You and I covered this ground already, a circle is not a sphere and Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic were all sophisticated enough to differentiate between the two linguistically. Or are you saying that it's mistranslated?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Young Earth Creationists like to say Jesus walked with dinosaurs while claiming the earth is ~6,000 years old.

They're pretty stupid.

Oh snap!
IBD (in before Dino )
Let the record show it was not a stupid "young earth creationist" that brought Dr. Dino and Dinosaur Adventureland into this thread, but it was one of the usual suspect anti-Christian trolls...
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You and I covered this ground already, a circle is not a sphere and Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic were all sophisticated enough to differentiate between the two linguistically. Or are you saying that it's mistranslated?

Good grief, you actually had an argument over whether or not the word "circle" vs. "sphere" was translated properly in a description of the earth's shape?

semperfiws6's point that ancient people were incredibly more intelligent and aware of their environments than most people generally give them credit for is right on point.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good grief, you actually had an argument over whether or not the word "circle" vs. "sphere" was translated properly in a description of the earth's shape?

semperfiws6's point that ancient people were incredibly more intelligent and aware of their environments than most people generally give them credit for is right on point.

Werd.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:54:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not an argument really. He says the earth is a circle. A circle in a 2-dimensional plane. I say the early writers were sophisticated enough to differentiate between a circle and a sphere.

And while I won't disagree with your assertion as to the intelligence of people from over 2,000 years ago, I will disagree that there's any significant science in the Bible. He says there is but hasn't shown any. Like I ask others when they make certain assertions, cite please.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're pretty stupid.

Oh snap!
IBD (in before Dino )
Let the record show it was not a stupid "young earth creationist" that brought Dr. Dino and Dinosaur Adventureland into this thread, but it was one of the usual suspect anti-Christian trolls...

I'm not a troll, I don't derive some perverse pleasure from attacking people's illusions. The things I say here I truly believe. As fervently as some people believe in an invisible, all-seeing, all-powerful father figure I believe in what is seen and tested.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:15:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

They're pretty stupid.

Show us SPECIFICALLY where they say Jesus walked with dinosaurs?  I think the consensus is that dinosaurs (aka giant lizards) stopped their growth / died off shortly after the flood (some 4 thousand years before Christ came)

ETA: 2000 years before Christ
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're pretty stupid.

Show us SPECIFICALLY where they say Jesus walked with dinosaurs?  I think the consensus is that dinosaurs (aka giant lizards) stopped their growth / died off shortly after the flood (some 4 thousand years before Christ came)

Dinosaurs are still around...

and...

From the Conservapedia:

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're pretty stupid.

Oh snap!
IBD (in before Dino )
Let the record show it was not a stupid "young earth creationist" that brought Dr. Dino and Dinosaur Adventureland into this thread, but it was one of the usual suspect anti-Christian trolls... [://

I'm not a troll, I don't derive some perverse pleasure from attacking people's illusions. The things I say here I truly believe. As fervently as some people believe in an invisible, all-seeing, all-powerful father figure I believe in what is seen and tested.

Yes you are a troll- You specifically came in this thread to crap on it- that's a troll
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're pretty stupid.

Oh snap!
IBD (in before Dino )
Let the record show it was not a stupid "young earth creationist" that brought Dr. Dino and Dinosaur Adventureland into this thread, but it was one of the usual suspect anti-Christian trolls... [://

Yes you are a troll- You specifically came in this thread to crap on it- that's a troll

Yes, I crapped on the idea that the world is ~6,000 years old and there were dinosaurs in the Bible.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're pretty stupid.

Oh snap!
IBD (in before Dino )

Yes, I crapped on the idea that the world is ~6,000 years old and there were dinosaurs in the Bible.

You brought it up.
no one else has.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're pretty stupid.

Oh snap!
IBD (in before Dino )

You brought it up.
no one else has.

"...today in my national government class we were discussing religion in school and one of the other students said that the Bible mentions the Dinosaurs. I know that their is not a mention to the Dinosaurs in the Bible but the teacher told us to go home and look."

I brought in the young earth creationist part.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Public school? Grade?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#28]
I award this thread the following title:

STUPID, STUPID, STUPID, STUPID HEAD IN YOUR ASS, NARROW MINDED GARBAGE THREAD OF THE NIGHT
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:41:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

STUPID, STUPID, STUPID, STUPID HEAD IN YOUR ASS, NARROW MINDED GARBAGE THREAD OF THE NIGHT

I like you sig line.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like you sig line.

In light of this thread, I should change it to:

If a man's cave is his castle, then his hunting ground is his kingdom. You cannot let dinosaurs reign in the game paths and expect to be safe in your cave. -
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:47:05 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're pretty stupid.

and...

From the Conservapedia:

skepsi.info/img/conservdinosaur.jpg

You said "Young Earth Creationists" think that Jesus walked with dinosaurs and then SPECIFICALLY single out drdino.com- either on purpose or on accident without context.

MOST people who believe that the Word of God is infalable believe that the world is about 6K years old.  MOST believe that the dinosaurs stopped getting large and were normal sized lizards and/or died out shortly after the flood.

You might want to change how you blanket statement these people.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:01:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're pretty stupid.

and...

From the Conservapedia:

skepsi.info/img/conservdinosaur.jpg

You said "Young Earth Creationists" think that Jesus walked with dinosaurs and then SPECIFICALLY single out drdino.com- either on purpose or on accident without context.

MOST people who believe that the Word of God is infalable believe that the world is about 6K years old.  MOST believe that the dinosaurs stopped getting large and were normal sized lizards and/or died out shortly after the flood.

You might want to change how you blanket statement these people.

Based on the part in red it seems more reasonable that I just need a bigger blanket for those people.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:02:28 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like you sig line.

If a man's cave is his castle, then his hunting ground is his kingdom. You cannot let dinosaurs reign in the game paths and expect to be safe in your cave. -

But the dinosaurs were vegetarians before the fall!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:09:45 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like you sig line.

But the dinosaurs were vegetarians before the fall!

It's the DEVIIILLLL!!!! (In my best Mississippi "fire and brimstone" preacher voice)
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#35]
I would just like to apologize to Ar15-sweety on behalf of Troubl3shooter & brucers99 who decided to piss on this thread by blatantly trolling and spewing hate & contempt in order to make themselves appear tough.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I would just like to apologize to Ar15-sweety on behalf of Troubl3shooter & brucers99 who decided to piss on this thread by blatantly trolling and spewing hate & contempt in order to make themselves appear tough.

I'm not sure that you have the standing to apologize for me, but you can certainly give it a shot.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:54:40 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

You do not speak for me, no one speaks for me. AR15-sweety can take my posts as they are and feel free to either put me on ignore or PM with a more directed response.

The OP has only to ask.

You on the other hand have no right and no responsibility to speak for me.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#38]
ya'll are so lame. why cant people be intelligent and discuss facts and not opinion. this thread got off topic quick and turned into a pissin match. Heres a few FACTS about Dinos if someone wants to open their mind enough to listen.

Dinosaurs were just big lizards. A Brontosaurus had nostrils the size of a horse. The only way they could have lived is if the oxygen content (probably before the flood) was higher than today. This is proven when scientists find "prehistoric" amber with air bubbles in it - like jurassic park. The bubbles have 50% more oxygen then today. There is a lot you can accomplish with more oxygen as well.

again, dinosaurs were just big lizards. If you know about reptiles (and most fish), then you know they never stop growing...AS LONG AS THEY LIVE! The pre flood world according to the bible was much different and would have allowed for them to live a long time. just like the people before the flood lived to be 900.

my previous thread showed an article where  T-REX bone had blood vessels and soft tissue. The scientists never even thought to question their theory. they just said "its amazing it lasted 60 million years". This is the same attitude most have on this subject.
most "truths" about dinosaurs and evolution have been proven wrong long ago. Wake up. being brainwashed is not cool. at least entertain the possibility.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
ya'll are so lame. why cant people be intelligent and discuss facts and not opinion. this thread got off topic quick and turned into a pissin match. Heres a few FACTS about Dinos if someone wants to open their mind enough to listen.

Dinosaurs were just big lizards. A Brontosaurus had nostrils the size of a horse. The only way they could have lived is if the oxygen content (probably before the flood) was higher than today. This is proven when scientists find "prehistoric" amber with air bubbles in it - like jurassic park. The bubbles have 50% more oxygen then today. There is a lot you can accomplish with more oxygen as well.

again, dinosaurs were just big lizards. If you know about reptiles (and most fish), then you know they never stop growing...AS LONG AS THEY LIVE! The pre flood world according to the bible was much different and would have allowed for them to live a long time. just like the people before the flood lived to be 900.

my previous thread showed an article where  T-REX bone had blood vessels and soft tissue. The scientists never even thought to question their theory. they just said "its amazing it lasted 60 million years". This is the same attitude most have on this subject.
most "truths" about dinosaurs and evolution have been proven wrong long ago. Wake up. being brainwashed is not cool. at least entertain the possibility.

Still struggling with that whole scientific method thing I see...
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:21:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Still struggling with that whole scientific method thing I see...

It seems other creatures (such as trolls) are alive and well...  
Matt
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:22:29 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You do not speak for me, no one speaks for me. AR15-sweety can take my posts as they are and feel free to either put me on ignore or PM with a more directed response.

The OP has only to ask.

Wait... there's an "ignore" button?!?  
Matt
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:25:31 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The OP has only to ask.

Matt

I do believe it was you intimating as much to me at one point.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:30:13 PM EDT
[#43]
no rebuttal on my points from the nay-sayers?

just like last time, huh troubl3shooter? do facts scare you?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

You haven't shown any data. Show me peer reviewed research and I'll jump right on it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Unjustified waste of typing energy...sorry.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#46]
unbelievable. how many times must i say that neither side can be proven without a doubt. I have simply been showing you evidence which leads to probability, you have shown ignorance which leads to brainwashing.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:45:58 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The OP has only to ask.

Matt

Honestly, this is the first thread in which I recall disagreeing with you.  I think you have me confused with another.
Matt
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:51:06 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The OP has only to ask.

Matt

Honestly, this is the first thread in which I recall disagreeing with you.  I think you have me confused with another.
Matt

It's quite possible. It's been a long day. My six year old could run the Energizer Bunny to death.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:51:28 PM EDT
[#49]
While researching your assertions, I found this...it seems you are correct!  I withdraw all of my earlier statements!

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:06:34 PM EDT
[#50]
still waiting on ANY evidence to support your theory. or you could just continue letting your children make comments for you.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top