Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/2/2008 6:31:56 PM EDT
I am curious about the Masons. I always hear about former presidents being masons, but i hear bad things about them too. what are they about? how do you become one? should you become one?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am curious about the Masons. I always hear about former presidents being masons, but i hear bad things about them too. what are they about? Making good men better
how do you become one? To be one, ask one
should you become one? Too late, I already did

eta - Freemasonry is not a religion, for we welcome men from all religions into our Lodge (alas, no atheists). There is no path to salvation to be found in Masonry. Most of the "bad things" you hear are pure B.S.

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#2]
what is the procedure to becoming a mason?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#3]
If you don't know any Masons that are willing to sponsor you, contact your local lodge and explain your situation to the secretary (or whoever answers the phone).

Look up some of the Masonic charities such as the Shrine or Scottish Rite Hospitals to gain a favorable impression of the craft. The burn & orthopedic centers, for instance, don't even have a billing department.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:00:19 PM EDT
[#4]
ok, but what does the initiation consist of? is there one?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:02:15 PM EDT
[#5]
C'mon, I know there are other Masons around here. Some may even be eloquent. Me, I'm a software guy so talking ain't one of my strong points.

However, until someone else shows up -

Yes, there is an initiation. Minimum of 3 to be considered a Master Mason. There is no sport, no intentional embarrassment, no harm will come to you (some jokers still like to make cracks about riding goats and etc. This doesn't happen). In the process you will be assured that your family and work comes before Masonry. It's not meant to take away from any of those, to the contrary it tends to make one a better husband, father, citizen.

Some details of the process are readily available to anyone who wishes to look, but you aren't going to get them out of a Mason. Hearing or reading the words out of context would strip them of their beauty and diminish their meaning, so I'd strongly recommend not "cheating" to get the ritual beforehand.

There are a few churches that are still opposed to Masonry, but as far as I can tell the primary objection is that we accept everyone as equals. Catholic, Baptist, UU, Druid, that one egyption thing, Muslim, Native American shamanistic, it doesn't matter, all are welcome. I've been lead to believe that this infuriates some that can't accept anyone following another religion. Around here religion and politics are not discussed in Lodge.

Your religion is your business and your brothers religion is his.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:03:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Popcorn at the ready.

I have some very good friends who are Masons, and I respect those who take the craft seriously.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:31:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Around here religion and politics are not discussed in Lodge.

Really?
What do you talk about then?

Quoted:

That is completely opposite of what the Bible and Jesus Christ teaches.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Around here religion and politics are not discussed in Lodge.

Really?
What do you talk about then?

Lodge business, charity, sick and hurt, etc.

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is completely opposite of what the Bible and Jesus Christ teaches.

That's a church matter and not relevant to an organization that doesn't claim to be religious.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:16:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess my question would be, why a follower of Jesus Christ would have a need to even become a Mason?
Can the Masonic Lodge make me into a better person over and above what Jesus Christ becoming the Lord of my life is able to do?

I see no other light other than the life that is found in Jesus Christ.
Jesus said “I am the light of the world, he that follows after Me shall not walk in darkness but shall have the light of life”
I guess I don’t understand why a man redeemed by Jesus would need anything else to make Him a “better man”.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
That's a church matter and not relevant to an organization that doesn't claim to be religious.

Quoted:
Not from a religious aspect, but to be more honest and charitable in their daily lives. It does have many similarities to things you would find in a religion.

I read on another forum, from someone claiming to be a Freemason, that each member is given a King James bible and told they must know it well.  He also stated that the organization was started to unify all Christian denominations, and that "Masonry is a very Christian organization in my state."  

This guy's comments make Freemasonry sound pretty religious.  Is this a regional thing, since he said "in my state"?  Or is this just referring to the fact that the Freemasons share many ideals with Christianity?

I'm not trying to be difficult - just curious, since I know very little about Freemasonry.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I guess my question would be, why a follower of Jesus Christ would have a need to even become a Mason?
Can the Masonic Lodge make me into a better person over and above what Jesus Christ becoming the Lord of my life is able to do?

I see no other light other than the life that is found in Jesus Christ.
Jesus said “I am the light of the world, he that follows after Me shall not walk in darkness but shall have the light of life”
I guess I don’t understand why a man redeemed by Jesus would need anything else to make Him a “better man”.

Why are yu part of Arfcom?  You won't top Jesus by being here.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#14]
someone (not a mason) told me that part of the initiation process is taking a "blood oath". Is this true?

also, they said that Masons operate on degrees. 1st degree, 2nd degree etc. and that the lower degree never knows anything about the higher ones. True/false?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:57:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:00:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Not really a blood oath, but there are "obligations" or oaths you assume with each degree.  

Freemasonry is what you make of it.  You find what you seek.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:13:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Incompatible with Christianity.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Yes, there is an initiation. Minimum of 3 to be considered a Master Mason. There is no sport, no intentional embarrassment, no harm will come to you (some jokers still like to make cracks about riding goats and etc. This doesn't happen).

http://news.scotsman.com/freemasonry/Gun-blunder-kills-mason.2510602.jp

Gun blunder kills mason

Click on thumbnail to view image

« Previous
« Previous
Next »
Next »
View Gallery
A MASONIC initiation ritual ended in tragedy when a man was shot in the head and killed with a gun thought to contain blanks.
Police said 47-year-old William James was accidentally killed when Albert Eid, 76, confused a loaded .38-caliber semiautomatic pistol with another gun during the induction ceremony in Patchogue, on New York’s Long Island.

"An inductee was shot and killed when a lodge member used a real gun instead of a blank pistol," police said.

The full article contains 97 words and appears in Edinburgh Evening News newspaper.
Page 1 of 1

* Last Updated: 11 March 2004 12:00 AM
* Source: Edinburgh Evening News

(Sorry about the edit, hit the wrong button. medicmandan)
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#19]
A Mason told me that their degree progression is like Boy Scouts for older guys, but more rooted in life, and much more rewarding.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I have no idea what that article is talking about. There is a sword present, but never have I seen a firearm in either the Blue Lodge or the Scottish Rite. I can't think of a ritual that would ... Weird.

Quoted:

No it's not. Might be incompatible with your idea of Christianity, but not with a very great number of other Christians. Of course, it's difficult for anyone to tear apart an argument as well put together as that.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#22]
As I recall the N shooting incident was related to a fellowcraft club of sorts and some homespun ritual that was part of that lodge.  the grand master of Ohio at the time knee jerked and issued an edict banning guns in all ohio masonic buildings.  made it difficult for some lodges with DeMolay chapters that had airgun ranges in their basements as I recall.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:07:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I guess that’s kind of my point.
Going to church, doing good works, becoming a member of a secret society all amount to nothing  when it comes to a mans relationship with his Creator.
The only way to know God the Father is through his Son Jesus Christ.
If a secret society says, Bring your preferred way(religion) well mix it with our way (good works) and it will show you the way.( a hidden truth) I must disagree!
Jesus said “I am The Way, The Truth, and The Life, no man can come to the Father but by Me”
Jesus said to his followers “you are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid.
Neither do men light a candle and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it gives light unto all that are in the house” Mat 5 vs. 14-15
You men that follow after Jesus Christ don’t need to hid anything behind closed doors.
On the contrary, burn brightly that all might see Christ Jesus in you.
The Bible doesn’t share truth with the Koran, Torah, or any other religious book.
The Bible stands alone as the word of God.
If you want fellowship with men, join the volunteer fire department.
If you want Truth follow after Jesus Christ and him alone.

And if you don’t have a relationship with Christ no amount of church going or good works doing will bring you the peace that only Christ can bring.

As the song says; On Christ the solid Rock I stand all other Ground is sinking sand.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Of course when I say "the Bible does not share truth with the Torah", I mean that in the sense that the Torah is not the finished word of God.
Since the Torah is the first five books of the Bible.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:35:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
If you want fellowship with men, join the volunteer fire department.

And that has always been my opinion on the issue as well. Free, open organizations > secret societies.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:55:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:11:14 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

For those well versed in either LDS or Masonic history you understand the rocky background they have.  Being raised LDS, I have found nothing that would conflict with any of the teachings of my religion.

medicmandan, how do you reconcile, or explain, the incredible similarities between Masonry and the Mormon temple ceremony?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:31:35 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Why?  While I admit that the extent of my masonry knowledge is pretty much in this thread, I don't see why it would be incompatible.

Is masonry a 'secret society?'  Or just one that chooses to admit whom they see fit- one that's willing to take certain pledges- kind of like the Boy Scouts or a members only country club.

I don't see freemasons as trying to help you find salvation, so I don't see that as conflicting with Christian belief that salvation is only through Christ.  The way I'm hearing it explained is that the freemasons help (a bit more seriously than some organizations) a person to carry out those virtues (charity, good works, etc) in an organized manner, that are consistent with a belief in God.

Like I said though.... I don't know anything much about freemasonry, nor do I personally know any masons.  I think.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:39:25 AM EDT
[#29]
It interests me & I am an officer for a Christian Mission organization. I don't see anything wrong with it, to the contrary it seems like a great way to make sure your time spent volunteering is being productive. The work with children in medical need is a great outreach and I'd love to be a part of that. I cannot see how Jesus would find fault in such a thing.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:40:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:45:08 AM EDT
[#31]
I've seen some objections based on the Lodge entreating men to lead an upright and good life. Salvation based on deeds rather than faith, it is said (falsely, since your road to salvation with your god isn't being challenged, just the life you lead in your mortal flesh). Also, admitting men of other beliefs as equals has been known to annoy.

MasonicInfo has many of the objections as well as rebuttals.

I wonder if those who dislike Masonry are also opposed to the BPOE?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:20:03 AM EDT
[#32]
B_H and PBIR have both summed up my personal feelings.

I view FreeMasonry much as I view Boy Scouts, except that FreeMasonry is for adults.

Participating in Boy Scouts wasn't any kind of substitute for Christianity.  The BSA is an organization for helping young men develop good character and it provides them with opportunities to serve their fellow man.  As I suggested before, I view FreeMasonry in a very similar light as I see the BSA, except for adults.  In that sense it strikes me as complimentary of Christianity.

I am not a FreeMason, but I haven't found any legitimate reasons to criticize them as an organization.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:24:51 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For those well versed in either LDS or Masonic history you understand the rocky background they have.  Being raised LDS, I have found nothing that would conflict with any of the teachings of my religion.

medicmandan, how do you reconcile, or explain, the incredible similarities between Masonry and the Mormon temple ceremony?

The best explanation I can give is that they both claim the origins of their ceremonies to be from the time of King Solomon's Temple.  I've read the stories that Joseph Smith stole the ceremonies and adapted them to the LDS temple ordinances.  According to the time line I've seen, the temple ceremonies were adopted four years before Joseph Smith was initiated as  a Mason.

Additionally, it must be noted that (with respect to the LDS temple ceremony), there is a difference between the endowment and the ritual that is used to present it.  The ritual may be and has been changed in accordance with societal and cultural needs.  People in different time periods will relate to different symbols and methods of teaching. The endowment however, remains the same.  Components of the ritual are similar to many elements found in Masonry, but the meanings are very different.

I think this is getting beyond the original scope of the thread, so I'll stop here.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:26:35 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I've seen some objections based on the Lodge entreating men to lead an upright and good life. Salvation based on deeds rather than faith, it is said (falsely, since your road to salvation with your god isn't being challenged, just the life you lead in your mortal flesh). Also, admitting men of other beliefs as equals has been known to annoy.

Or the Royal Order of Water Buffaloes?

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:47:29 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Of course when I say "the Bible does not share truth with the Torah", I mean that in the sense that the Torah is not the finished word of God.
Since the Torah is the first five books of the Bible.

More accurately, it's the apparent unfinished work viewed by Christians.

For Jews, it's complete.  

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Originally Posted By Wyzardd

Exactly. The Elks have secret signs and sponsor many charities plus they have a great bar and ... er, some other stuff that may or may not be in exact conformity with perfectly upstanding morals, yet the outcry against us (Elks) is nearly nonexistent, thank goodness.
I don't see many differences between the assorted fraternal organizations, yet it's only Freemasonry that gets accused of cavorting with Baphomet.

Frankly, I was disappointed when I reached the 32nd degree and never received a call from Bush asking how to structure the UN. :)
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:48:38 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Wyzardd, is Free Masonry open to Jews?  Thanks!

Ed
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:59:23 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Originally Posted By Wyzardd

Exactly. The Elks have secret signs and sponsor many charities plus they have a great bar and ... er, some other stuff that may or may not be in exact conformity with perfectly upstanding morals, yet the outcry against us (Elks) is nearly nonexistent, thank goodness.
I don't see many differences between the assorted fraternal organizations, yet it's only Freemasonry that gets accused of cavorting with Baphomet.

Frankly, I was disappointed when I reached the 32nd degree and never received a call from Bush asking how to structure the UN. :)

[chuckles]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:07:18 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Wyzardd, is Free Masonry open to Jews?  Thanks!

Ed

Certainly. Atheist Jews not so much, but the belief in a supreme being is about the whole of the religious requirement (IIRC)
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:15:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
i have been a mason for just over a year. i recently went through my second degree and and working toward my master. <many people do this in a matter of a few months>

i have taken my time and disected the degrees and lessons as far as i could before moving on. I have learned some great things in the process.

1st masonry is NOT a religion. it does use some references to religious events to covey lessons in morality and self improvement. Many believe these to be judeo christian in nature but in general they could have come from any religous text.

Masonry requires a belief in a supreme diety. that is all. who/what that is is up to the individual. They ,in my experience, do not attempt to shape your religious beliefs in any way shape or form. we do have prayer and in our lodge it is christian in nature.

IMHO masonry is 100% compatible with christianity. yes i have found a few things through personal research which may challenge the teachings of some churchs, they do not however change my faith. these are not "mysterious" in nature and are generally the same things you can find anywhere researching biblical history. Morality/faith is not in the details of the history.

Keeping an open mind and continuing to learn is the key here. i found some things that on the surface would disturb some devout people. until i kept going and the full story was found. Then it was clear and not "heretical" at all. i feel this is the problem some have with masonry. they get challenged and turn away without looking into what is really being said/shown.  NONE of this was taught in lodge, these were things i learned and found by deeply studying the ritual and work on my own. there really are some wonderful lessons there to be learned IF you have the persistance and open mind to do it.

it has be said to me many times... masonry is what you put into it. that is exactly right. it can be a deep philosphocal journey, or just a night out with the guys, the path is up to the individual.

one of the great things i have found is this. when you encounter another mason outside in the real world. not even knowing their name you know you have a brother that you can generally trust. you know what they have been through and atleast a basic cursory check has been done to insure they are decent people.

masonry is one of the few organizastions i have found where people actually not only try to uphold their obligations to each other, they actively police it.

part of me joined for the esoteric spooky stuff/curiosity part of me, for some personal development. I have found both although not what i expected. it's been a wonderful journey so far.

mike

Good post.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Without getting into the Occult symbolism or Masonic teachings that go against the Bible.
I guess my question to Christian Masons remains the same.
What can becoming a Mason do for me that simply following after Jesus Christ can not do?
Can Christian Mason become more enlightened than a non-Mason Christian?
If they cant what’s the point?
If they can what is it that the simply being a follower of Jesus leaves out that Masonry corrects?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:20:54 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Without getting into the Occult symbolism or Masonic teachings that go against the Bible.
I guess my question to Christian Masons remains the same.
What can becoming a Mason do for me that simply following after Jesus Christ can not do?
Can Christian Mason become more enlightened than a non-Mason Christian?
If they cant what’s the point?
If they can what is it that the simply being a follower of Jesus leaves out that Masonry corrects?

Following your logic, it would then be a waste of time to do anything outside of church/worship.  Can a Christian Big Brother become more enlightened than a non-Big Brother Christian?  If he can't then what's the point?  Can a Christian volunteer baseball coach become more enlightened than a non-volunteer baseball coach Christian?  If he can't, then what's the point?  What can becoming a Big Brother or a volunteer baseball coach do for me that simply following after Jesus Christ cannot do?

I'm not a Mason.  I simply disagree with your animosity towards Masonry.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#44]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

herans
We don't believe in public prayer for the same reason. We wouldn't want to validate a Druid's prayer by praying with him for example, or wouldn't want to participate in a public prayer that's been watered down so that it doesn't offend a nonchristian. (not praying in Jesus' name)

We believe that this is just one way to witness our faith.

Some of us won't recite the Pledge of Allegiance because we don't believe that we are ONE NATION under God when we can't agree as to whom the true God is or if there even is one. Some of us do recite the pledge. I guess it's a personal thing.

Secular organizations without a religious requirement are perfectly fine to join. Having said that we recognize that these organizations do many fine things for the good of all of us. We just wish they'd lift their requirement over the superior being thing. Not our choice though.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:16:13 PM EDT
[#45]
I know a man man that is the Worshipful Master of his lodge, that title is a little strange to me.

I do acknowledge that the masons do a lot of very good things though
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Windknot makes some good points.

I have been doing a little research on them, and this one person keeps coming up in my studies. His name is Manley P. Hall. He says he was one of the highest Masons, and got out because he found out the "true meaning" (his words) of the Freemasons. He says they are Luciferans. Why would a former Mason who has given most of his life to them, say that? Makes me wonder. Alot of their symbols supposedly have "dark" meaning to them as well.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:24:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Of Mr. Hall -

"He was a promulgator of mystic and theosophical philosophies and despite the claims of anti-Masons, his writings have not received official sanction by any Masonic body. The fact that he held the Thirty-third Degree and was respected by many Thirty-Third Degree Masons and even by the Supreme Councils 33º is no more significant than the fact that various Baptist, Anglican, or Methodist authors also hold or held that honor."

"Is It True What They Say About Freemasonry"
by Art DeHoyos & S. Brent Morris

The closest I've ever seen to an officially sanctioned book (besides the Bible) is one written by Albert Pike, "Morals and Dogma", which is usually the one people refer to when making claims of "Luciferism" (or whatever it's called). Pike was Scottish Rite and Morals and Dogma was, I hear, once given through them and not the Blue Lodge. (note: "Blue Lodge" refers to the first three degrees, or those that make a Master Mason. There is no higher degree that a Mason can obtain, the appendent bodies such as the Scottish or York rite are not "above" a Master Mason, regardless of their numbering system. I speak as a 32nd degree Scottish Rite (SJ), although I cannot presume to speak for all Freemasonry)

In any event, there is no one individual who speaks for Freemasonry. In the US each state has its own Grand Lodge, none of which are subservient to any other. Not even to the Grand Lodge of England. If the Colorado Grand Lodge decided to worship Satan, that would have no reflection on the other US Grand Lodges, much less those around the world.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:47:24 PM EDT
[#48]
height=8
Quoted:
Of Mr. Hall -
height=8
"He was a promulgator of mystic and theosophical philosophies and despite the claims of anti-Masons, his writings have not received official sanction by any Masonic body. The fact that he held the Thirty-third Degree and was respected by many Thirty-Third Degree Masons and even by the Supreme Councils 33º is no more significant than the fact that various Baptist, Anglican, or Methodist authors also hold or held that honor."

"Is It True What They Say About Freemasonry"
by Art DeHoyos & S. Brent Morris

The closest I've ever seen to an officially sanctioned book (besides the Bible) is one written by Albert Pike, "Morals and Dogma", which is usually the one people refer to when making claims of "Luciferism" (or whatever it's called). Pike was Scottish Rite and Morals and Dogma was, I hear, once given through them and not the Blue Lodge. (note: "Blue Lodge" refers to the first three degrees, or those that make a Master Mason. There is no higher degree that a Mason can obtain, the appendent bodies such as the Scottish or York rite are not "above" a Master Mason, regardless of their numbering system. I speak as a 32nd degree Scottish Rite (SJ), although I cannot presume to speak for all Freemasonry)

In any event, there is no one individual who speaks for Freemasonry. In the US each state has its own Grand Lodge, none of which are subservient to any other. Not even to the Grand Lodge of England. If the Colorado Grand Lodge decided to worship Satan, that would have no reflection on the other US Grand Lodges, much less those around the world.

so the diffrent chapters or lodges dont share the same doctrine?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:36:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:41:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top