Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2007 9:37:07 PM EDT
I hope these towers make the church more conducive for lightning strikes. Any church that sells out its steeple probably deserves to be burned to the ground.

Just throwing that out there.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 5:49:28 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I hope these towers make the church more conducive for lightning strikes. Any church that sells out its steeple probably deserves to be burned to the ground.

Errrr.... They are doing a community service by disguising an eyesore. And getting money to perform the service is not evil.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 6:21:04 AM EDT
[#2]
My church allows it's parking lot to be used by the bus service as a "park and ride" during the week. The church got a free brand new huge parking lot out out of the deal. So our to small parking lot, through this deal, was expanded to be more than enough, and gave us the opportunity to expand, and grow, and we have done that considerably since the new lot was put in.

What do you think about that?
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 6:26:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Who cares?
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 7:23:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My church allows it's parking lot to be used by the bus service as a "park and ride" during the week. The church got a free brand new huge parking lot out out of the deal. So our to small parking lot, through this deal, was expanded to be more than enough, and gave us the opportunity to expand, and grow, and we have done that considerably since the new lot was put in.

I like it, good use of Church property to aid the community and get something that helps the congregation in return.  Win Win

Same situation with the cell tower.  Much better than metal eyesore in a field 300 ft from the Church imo

Link Posted: 9/7/2007 7:34:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That doesn't bother me so much since it isn't lurking inside the building. But having something inside the steeple doesn't seem right. Might as well plug a statue of Jesus into the thing while you are at it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 7:44:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Jesus came to a temple and threw out merchants and people using the temple as a place of commerce. Does this apply to the situation here? I think some could say it does.

Do you consider yourself a religious person but hope for the church to be burnt down?

-Foxxz

Interesting point; I will have to use that in the future.

In answer to your last question, I don't hope for things like that, but I would think that a steeple being damaged by lightning would be a fitting outcome of sticking something in there that didn't belong.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 7:49:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 8:03:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Jesus came to a temple and threw out merchants and people using the temple as a place of commerce. Does this apply to the situation here? I think some could say it does.

Do you consider yourself a religious person but hope for the church to be burnt down?

-Foxxz

Interesting point; I will have to use that in the future.

In answer to your last question, I don't hope for things like that, but I would think that a steeple being damaged by lightning would be a fitting outcome of sticking something in there that didn't belong.

I guess that certainly WOULD send a message.

A few points if I may. The church steeple probably doesn't have any higher chance of being struck with the equipment on it (as long as it doesn't raise the height). Cell phone towers are struck quite often. They, as well as the equipment, are well grounded. Additionally, cell equipment is designed to handle lightning strike. I have pulled some equipment out and the specs on what kind of abuse these things can take is AMAZING!

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

-Foxxz

The problem with the temple merchants was that they were implying that God required the purchase of their wares, and that they were disrupting the worship of God by making the Temple into a noisy market...

None of the above apply to a cell antenna hidden in a steeple... The church will most likely use the royalties to do God's work, anyway...
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like it, good use of Church property to aid the community and get something that helps the congregation in return.  Win Win

Same situation with the cell tower.  Much better than metal eyesore in a field 300 ft from the Church imo

I tend to agree except for the part where the church is probably getting out of paying tax on its profit.
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 6:58:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I wish my church would house a antennae, AND that it would get hit by lightning.    Our building fund is not growing and this would get covered by insurance!

Our Pastor says a tornado would be a gift from God!

Still, I love my 100 yr old church!
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 11:53:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like a win-win scenario to me.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 12:44:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I have no problem with it.  As long as the antennae being in the steeple doesn't adversely affect worship services (interfering with microphones, etc, if your church uses such things) I don't see why it should be prohibited.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That doesn't bother me so much since it isn't lurking inside the building. But having something inside the steeple doesn't seem right. Might as well plug a statue of Jesus into the thing while you are at it.

Will it be the baby Jesus, he's my favorite................
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#16]
My parents were telling us just this weekend that some cell phone company is going to install a new steeple for there church and give the church $1,200 per month to convert their steeple to a cell tower.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:35:24 AM EDT
[#17]
churches shouldn't have steeples in the first place.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Jesus kicked the moneychangers out of the temple because they were disrupting the operation of the Temple itself, not because they were making money.

If no one knows it's there I doubt He will mind.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Reasoning behind this?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Reasoning behind this?

I think I read once that there was some pagan origin to it, but I'm not certain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top