Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2006 9:12:07 AM EDT
I know there are many conservative Christians on this website and I was wondering how you celebrate Easter. I know some groups of Christians celebrate Christmas without Santa, a tree, etc. because they are pagan in origin; is the same true for Easter? After all even the name of Easter is pagan (Eostre was the Germanic goddess of spring).
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:57:14 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I know there are many conservative Christians on this website and I was wondering how you celebrate Easter. I know some groups of Christians celebrate Christmas without Santa, a tree, etc. because they are pagan in origin; is the same true for Easter? After all even the name of Easter is pagan (Eostre was the Germanic goddess of spring).

I may have heard that before. On the other hand, I thought Easter was just a Greek word for Passover. In the KJV there is one occassion where they refer to Easter and it's the same Greek word otherwise translated Passover. I could easily be wrong though.

Personally, I don't do anything special for Easter. But then again, I don't observe any days (no birthdays, anniveraries or holidays, religous or otherwise). That doesn't mean I won't take holidays off when the boss offers them. Though, I've been known to work quite a few too (that's the nature of my work).
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#2]
The greek word for passover is "pascha". Eostre (aka Ostara) is a well known pagan deity.

Here's a link about 'her':
www.pantheon.org/articles/o/ostara.html
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I am not a Christian, but many of my conservative Christian friends prefer the term "Resurrection Sunday" to restore the theological meaning of the occassion.

It seems both strange and sad to me that everything got twisted all together and confused:  Pesach, Good Friday, Oestara/Easter and the Christian resurrection.

The commonly held theory is that early Christians in the Roman empire had to observe their special days secretly or face torture and death.  For the sake of their children, they adopted the guise of observing the death and (according to Christian belief) resurrection of Jesus to coincide with a pagan festival of spring.

I hope that our Christian members can offer clarification or further insight into this.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't celebrate the Easter.   But each sunday, I tell my children what it means to us of the death and resurrection of Isa bin Yusef.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:22:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I personally prefer "Resurrection Sunday," but I'm not going to get all bent out of shape if some otherwise well-intentioned person wishes me "Happy Easter" or hunts eggs, etc.  To each his own...
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't celebrate the Easter.   But each sunday, I tell my children what it means to us of the death and resurrection of Isa bin Yusef.

What is your faith?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:17:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I see no problem with the kids having a little fun.   The Resurrection of our Lord and Savior is always the focus of the day though.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top