Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2006 2:48:19 AM EDT
This is the same guy who wrote about the parting of the red sea being a natural event.  Belief in Christianity is not required to be awed at this guys chutzpah!  I'll say it plain and clear, the Kineret never had a chunk of ice in it.  period.

Study: Jesus may have walked on ice, not water, on the Sea of Galilee
By Reuters

The New Testament says that Jesus walked on water, but a Florida university professor believes there could be a less miraculous explanation - he walked on a floating piece of ice.

Professor Doron Nof also theorized in the early 1990s that Moses's parting of the Red Sea had solid science behind it.

Nof, a professor of oceanography at Florida State University, said on Tuesday that his study found an unusual combination of water and atmospheric conditions in what is now northern Israel could have led to ice formation on the Sea of Galilee.

Nof used records of the Mediterranean Sea's surface temperatures and statistical models to examine the dynamics of the Sea of Galilee, which Israelis know now as Lake Kinneret.

The study found that a period of cooler temperatures in the area between 1,500 and 2,600 years ago could have included the decades in which Jesus lived.

A drop in temperature below freezing could have caused ice thick enough to support a human to form on the surface of the freshwater lake near the western shore, Nof said. It might have been nearly impossible for distant observers to see a piece of floating ice surrounded by water.

Nof said he offered his study - published in the April edition of the Journal of Paleolimnology - as a "possible explanation" for Jesus' walk on water.

"If you ask me if I believe someone walked on water, no, I don't," Nof said. "Maybe somebody walked on the ice, I don't know. I believe that something natural was there that explains it."

"We leave to others the question of whether or not our research explains the biblical account."

When he offered his theory 14 years ago that wind and sea conditions could explain the parting of the Red Sea, Nof said he received some hate mail, even though he noted that the idea could support the biblical description of the event.

And as his theory of Jesus' walk on ice began to circulate, he had more hate mail in his e-mail inbox.

"They asked me if I'm going to try next to explain the resurrection," he said.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:41:09 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
This is the same guy who wrote about the parting of the red sea being a natural event.  

I read where one person theorized the passage was created by the massive gravitational pull of an asteroid passing by.  If it was, you'd have to admit that the timing was incredible!

I heard somebody else saying it wasn't the Red Sea, it was the Reed Sea, and the water was only two feet deep.  That means an even bigger miracle took place.  The entire Egyptian army drowned in just two feet of water!  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:21:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Jesus jumped into the ship with his disciples so the "distant observer" not seeing the ice Jesus was walking on is bunk.

Shok

P.S. Post 1400, cool!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:53:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This is the same guy who wrote about the parting of the red sea being a natural event.  

I read where one person theorized the passage was created by the massive gravitational pull of an asteroid passing by.  If it was, you'd have to admit that the timing was incredible!

I heard somebody else saying it wasn't the Red Sea, it was the Reed Sea, and the water was only two feet deep.  That means an even bigger miracle took place.  The entire Egyptian army drowned in just two feet of water!  

I watched a show on the History Channel that examined the OT from a military standpoint. The "Reed Sea" theroy was brought up then as well. The theroy is that Moses new the area very well and when the tide was out, the area where he could have crossed would be very shallow. The tide came back in when the Egytpian's tried to cross.

Very interesting show either way. Talked a lot about the first special forces during the time of Joshua.

As for the floating ice theroy????? That's a crock. Although, all things in this earth are at His command, He very well could have formed some ice and walked on it but for it to just all of the sudden appear.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:57:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
As for the floating ice theroy????? That's a crock. Although, all things in this earth are at His command, He very well could have formed some ice and walked on it but for it to just all of the sudden appear.

So someone magically making ice appear is believable, but for ice to form due to freak atmospheric conditions is out of the question.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So someone magically making ice appear is believable, but for ice to form due to freak atmospheric conditions is out of the question.

The question is, who do you belive that Someone to be? And, do you belive that this event actually happened? Okay, that was two questions.

My point is that if He wanted to, He could have formed ice and walked on it.

Whats chutzpah?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:14:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeh, I agree, scientists are all whackjobs... not like those rational, data driven people who support the entirely reasonable concept of a big man in the sky with a gray beard "intelligently designing" animals in a world that is only 6000 years old.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The question is, who do you belive that Someone to be? And, do you belive that this event actually happened? Okay, that was two questions.

Whats chutzpah?

But how would he have done so?   Its just as easy to say he would have manipulated natural conditions to form ice in what would appear to an observer as a freak occurence.   Still  a miracle, just explainable with science.  Many scientists, including great ones like Newton, viewed what they did as peering into the mind of God.

as for chutzpah, its like saying someone "has a lot of nerve".  

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whats chutzpah?

But how would he have done so?   Its just as easy to say he would have manipulated natural conditions to form ice in what would appear to an observer as a freak occurence.   Still  a miracle, just explainable with science.

as for chutzpah, its like saying someone "has a lot of nerve".  

Thank you. That is what I was trying to get accross. Science and miracles are not exclusive of each other. So many people try and put them at opposite ends when in fact I think they go hand in hand. Doesn't mean that I can explain everything that has happened, but then my understanding of all the materials and elements in this universe is not perfect. Nor do I have complete control over them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top