Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2006 12:10:56 PM EDT
   It's that time of year again, what are you giving up for lent?

I haven't decided yet, I need ideas or I need to give up the hours a day a spend on ARFcom
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:12:14 PM EDT
[#1]
This year I'm giving up lent for lent....I already gave up cigs
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:28:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
   It's that time of year again, what are you giving up for lent?

I haven't decided yet, I need ideas or I need to give up the hours a day a spend on ARFcom

If you are stating that you are Catholic and pro-abortion then I can tell with with 100% certainty that God would like nothing more than for you to give up support for the murder of His children.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:04:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Seeing as how I've got chocolate and candy and other not-good-for-me snacks at work on hand at all times, I'm giving up the sweets.  It's going to be hard.

Oh, and I'll be getting up an extra 30 minutes to do morning prayers from the breviary, like I used to do.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:07:04 PM EDT
[#4]

If you are stating that you are Catholic and pro-abortion then I can tell with with 100% certainty that God would like nothing more than for you to give up support for the murder of His children.

Is there a smiley illustrating a hijacker?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:03:49 AM EDT
[#5]

40 days no Dr. Pepper.

For me, THAT is gonna be a sacrifice.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:06:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted: If you are stating that you are Catholic and pro-abortion then I can tell with with 100% certainty that God would like nothing more than for you to give up support for the murder of His children.
I thought satan ruled planet earth until the second coming of The Christ. So wouldn't the children be "satan's" children?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:08:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I am giving up carbs.

I am taking up more exercise.  I have some holiday wieght keeping me from my full potential.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:10:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
40 days no Dr. Pepper.

For me, THAT is gonna be a sacrifice.

now THAT is willpower

Dr. Pepper to me signals the possibility that there may actually be a God...

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:18:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:58:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Some considerations:

Sex - got 4 kids already, but that would be a MAJOR undertaking
Alcohol - Studies have proven that a drink a day prolongs life and I have aquired a taste for a small Scotch and water every night. It would be a sacrifice.
Cursing - Despite my best non-Lenten efforts, when I am around certain folks, I let slide waaay too many expletives.
Raising my voice - Its the sometimes last ditch crowd control in my house, unfortunately. Talk about difficult!

Just a reminder --diets and exercise and stuff are great....IF you are making the effort, the sacrifice, for the Lord. If you're using Lenten sacrifice as a reason to do what you should be doing anyway, for me, the concept loses its lustre.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Some considerations:

Sex - got 4 kids already, but that would be a MAJOR undertaking
Alcohol - Studies have proven that a drink a day prolongs life and I have aquired a taste for a small Scotch and water every night. It would be a sacrifice.
Cursing - Despite my best non-Lenten efforts, when I am around certain folks, I let slide waaay too many expletives.
Raising my voice - The sometimes last ditch crowd control in my house, unfortunately. Talk about difficult.

Just a reminder diets and exercise and stuff are great....if you are making the effort, the sacrifice, for the Lord. If you're using Lenten sacrifice as a reason to do what you should be doing anyway, for me, the concept loses its lustre.

I like you.
No really.
Lemme buy you a Scotch............OH! And the lives pro-longed are usually those around you who would normally aggravate you if it WEREN'T for the daily drink. Just thought you'd like to know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top