Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/2/2006 1:15:02 PM EDT
If you read this forum, you are obviously interested in spiritual matters.  If you don't go to church you obviously have reasons.  Help me to understand why.  

1.  Would you say you don't go to church because
     a)you're too busy
     b)you can't find a church that fits your beliefs
     c)no one has invited you
     d)you have had bad experiences with churches before
     e)you are currently locked up in an institution
     f) the last preacher you heard bored you to tears
     g)other

2.  You would come to church if
     a) they had a service that fit your schedule
     b) a friend would invite you
     c) I saw an interesting ad in the paper, on tv
    d) somebody knocked on my door and invited me
     e) I got a letter or post-card from them
     f) they starting sacrificing chickens
     g) other

3.  On your first visit to a church, how do you expect to be treated?

I'm not ing.  I'm a preacher and I'm in charge of outreach.  I sincerely want to share my beliefs, but I don't want to waste my time or invade people's privacy.  Looking forward to your answers.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#1]
church's are lead by money hoarding crooks and are full of people that I dont care to hang around, mostly the emotionally crippled types that need things like churches as a crutch to get though life.  And you dont need church to believe in God anyways. Happy trails.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:28:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I read this forum because I am interested in religion.

I do not go to church because I'd catch fire and burn to ashes instantly do not beleive in god.

When I did go to church, it was important to me that it was a no sell church.  In other words, they didn't care if you didn't put money in the till.  They didn't go on and on during service about the 'new church fund.'  They didn't expect members to sell M&M's at busy intersections.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:33:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
church's are lead by money hoarding crooks and are full of people that I dont care to hang around, mostly the emotionally crippled types that need things like churches as a crutch to get though life.  And you dont need church to believe in God anyways. Happy trails.

You forgot about the lying and covering up for the child molestors for all those years.  Payoffs and cover-ups are not things that I prefer to support.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

thats why i dont go

Its boring, I was raised Christian thru childhood. All I ever heard was the same shit over and over again.
Blah blah blah blah, Made me realize that even if God is real, he is a selfish jerk by creating us just so we could worship him  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:52:13 PM EDT
[#5]
People that don't go to church usually have issues with authority I have found.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:58:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I would go to church if I could find one that didn't smell like hypocrisy, and a religion that didn't fly against logic, reason and experience.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I've found that people who don't go to church have a problem with fairy tales and group mentality.  Interesting, I think, how we see the same thing but get two different impressions.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:59:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If you dont have issues with authority you are nothing but a lemming. Authority needs to be checked and balanced like anything else. Happy Trails.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#10]
There is plenty of historical evidence that supports that Jesus and many others mentioned in the Bible did indeed walk this earth.

So it isn't exactly a fairytale.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:05:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:07:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
There is plenty of historical evidence that supports that Jesus and many others mentioned in the Bible did indeed walk this earth.

thats great but it doesnt prove anything. Does it prove the existence of god? no. Does it prove the existance of heaven, angels and hell? no
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

His existance isn't what people doubt, it's his divinity. Was the Japanese emperor a god? How about the French Sun King? The Egyptian pharoahs? Or the Mayan rulers? Do you apply the same logic to all of them?

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thats great but it doesnt prove anything. Does it prove the existence of god? no. Does it prove the existance of heaven, angels and hell? no

SO what does in your view?

Nothing?

Then why are you here in this forum?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There was a guy named Mohammed too. That don't  mean I'm signin' up.

lol  +1,  also these old documents are subject to interpretation. Kind of like how the Libs try and manipulate the Constitution today, if they succeed then the future will never know the original intent. Im also 100% positive that you dont understand 100% of the words in the bible, this is because some of it was lost in translation. How do you know what the lost words say...who knows, just understand that.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:09:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

His existance isn't what people doubt, it's his divinity. Was the Japanese emperor a god? How about the French Sun King? The Egyptian pharoahs? Or the Mayan rulers? Do you apply the same logic to all of them?

No I don't.  Mainly because none of them rose from the dead.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Did we all spring up from Adam and Eve?  I don't think so.  Science has proved that after about 16 generations of inbreeding, no further offsprings are possible due to sterilization and messed up chromosomes/DNA.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I had some evidence that a god(s) made someone rise from the dead, I'd go to his/her/their church.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#20]
My Dad is Catholic, my Mom is Baptist. They have been divorced as long as I can remember. I am an Agnostic. The whole thing from any end is a big bite to chew. The reward of it all is heaven. I don't like the idea of heaven much better than that of Hell. I don't want to do ANYTHING for an eternity.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

lol  +1,  also these old documents are subject to interpretation. Kind of like how the Libs try and manipulate the Constitution today, if they succeed then the future will never know the original intent.

Actually word mean exactly what they say.  and the Bible is proven to be surprisingly accurate over the years.

Im also 100% positive that you dont understand 100% of the words in the bible, this is because some of it was lost in translation. How do you know what the lost words say...who knows, just understand that.

No I don't understand it 100%, that is why it is called a text book, because you study it.  I am still studing.  Are you or did you stop?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:13:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
If I had some evidence that a god(s) made someone rise from the dead, I'd go to his/her/their church.

I have a feeling it could occur right in front of your face and you would still not believe.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hereby state and declare as true that the French Sun King rose from the dead.  

You have just as much proof of someone rising from the dead as I do.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By DarkHalf

I rose from the dead once.

Seriously, I drowned while surfing in a hurricane. 2 rouge waves took me out and pushed me 40' under. I was dead and underwater then sometime later, I dont know how long, (was by myself) I found myself washed up on the beach with the sun on me, I opened my eyes and was alive again. I was resurrected, but does that make me divine? I think so  lol
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

You have just as much proof of someone rising from the dead as I do.

I have a book that cronicles the history of at least 12 people that saw it occur.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a feeling it could occur right in front of your face and you would still not believe.

I might surprise you, I'm pretty open-minded. Bring a dead guy over and let's give it a go. I'll supply the beer and pizza.

Quoted:
I have a book that cronicles the history of at least 12 people that saw it occur.

I'd love to talk to them about it, find out what they like on their pizza and bring 'em along.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Originally Posted By DarkHalf

I rose from the dead once.

Seriously, I drowned while surfing in a hurricane. 2 rouge waves took me out and pushed me 40' under. I was dead and underwater then sometime later, I dont know how long, (was by myself) I found myself washed up on the beach with the sun on me, I opened my eyes and was alive again. I was resurrected, but does that make me divine? I think so  lol

Try it for 3 days and get back to me.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:19:43 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I might surprise you, I'm pretty open-minded. Bring a dead guy over and let's give it a go. I'll supply the beer and pizza.

No you are not.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Time is non-linear.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#30]
DarkHalf

Active Stats
Communication

Posts Per Day ::

Last Login Date ::
1/2/2006 6:35:31 PM EST

Last Post Date ::
1/2/2006 7:16:32 PM EST

Title ::

12/29/2005

Team Member ::
No

NV, USA

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:22:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Time is non-linear.

Sure it is.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've found that people who don't go to church have a problem with fairy tales and group mentality.  Interesting, I think, how we see the same thing but get two different impressions.

So do you believe in SantaClause....Easter Bunny.....Tooth Fairy.....GOD???????......They are all the same to me......BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!

GhostCat
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
DarkHalf

Active Stats
Communication

12/29/2005

No

NV, USA

Good eye Bikecop.  I never even thought to check his stats.  It would seem that we are feeding a damn troll.

And I never did see a rebuttal for the child molestation and the payoffs, lies and cover ups associated with it.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
DarkHalf

Active Stats
Communication

12/29/2005

No

NV, USA

Good eye Bikecop.  I never even thought to check his stats.  It would seem that we are feeding a damn troll.

And I never did see a rebuttal for the child molestation and the payoffs, lies and cover ups associated with it.  

Thanks Dale.  Dorkhalf sure has a high post count since joining 6 days ago.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#35]
I find it rather odd that a small group of complete non believers who are posting insulting remarks towards Christians and other religions in a Religious forum are accusing me of trolling and I didn't even start this thread.

Is that a common occurance in this forum?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:35:20 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I find it rather odd that a small group of complete non believers who are posting insulting remarks towards Christians and other religions in a Religious forum are accusing me of trolling and I didn't even start this thread.

We only post non-fundamentalist Christian opinions until we get a threat to lock our accounts. We won't be here long, don't worry  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We only post non-fundamentalist Christian opinions until we get a threat to lock our accounts. We won't be here long, don't worry  

Oh okay ...thanks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't go to church because I wasn't raised that way.  My mother's father was a Communist (he fought in the Spanish Civil War in the International Brigades), and my father stopped going when he was a teenager for whatever reason.

I do believe that there is a Creator of all things, but I'm not sure who he/she/it is.  

Church is just one of those things that is not on my radar from day to day.

No disrespect intended, just an honest answer.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:45:06 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I don't go to church because I wasn't raised that way.  My mother's father was a Communist (he fought in the Spanish Civil War in the International Brigades), and my father stopped going when he was a teenager for whatever reason.

I do believe that there is a Creator of all things, but I'm not sure who he/she/it is.  

Church is just one of those things that is not on my radar from day to day.

No disrespect intended, just an honest answer.

Now THAT is an honest answer.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#40]
I went as a kid...I can still remember looking around, wondering what was wrong with these people.
I went to a couple of private "christian" schools...the adults were hypocrits and lied. Of course, my complaints fell on deaf ears. To this day I know the truth.
I work in a hospital and deal with the "clergy" all the time. The ones who don't make me sick I feel sorry for.
Church and organized religion are a crutch for the weak. I don't care how "successful" they are, there's a major flaw in there somewhere.
That being said, I wish everyone was a christian , went to church, and lived by the 10 commandments.  The world would be a much simpler place (until the heads of the religion  went Taliban, as any of them would given enough power and time).
I believe in supporting the Christian foundation  this country was built on....you don't have to hang a label on the act of being decent to one another.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:51:10 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
That being said, I wish everyone was a christian , went to church, and lived by the 10 commandments.  

You think christians are stupid sheep and churches are evil yet you still want them to go?

That seems like a rather contrary position don't ya think?

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Darkhalf, why don't you start another thread and give this one back to Wdsman?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:55:25 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Darkhalf, why don't you start another thread and give this one back to Wdsman?

LOL.  I am not that one that hijacked it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:56:06 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Even though you didn't start this thread you are still a troll, even more so, you are a thread hijacking troll.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:58:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Nope...you got the wrong guy.

Sorry
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Even though you didn't start this thread you are still a troll, even more so, you are a thread hijacking troll.[/quote]

+1,000,000
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:18:03 PM EDT
[#48]
I quit going to church a few years ago. I served in a variety of lay roles within the churches we went to but eventually got fed up with the seemingly never-ending Christian bashing that came from other Christians.  IMO, the church has largely been conformed to the society within which it resides.  People seem to go with some sort of "consumer mentality" rather than looking for a good place to exercise their gifts in a service role.

One of these days I will undoubtedly return. But for now, I just need a break from church (but not from Christianity, BTW).
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:02:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top