Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2005 9:58:03 AM EDT
.....at the end of this one,  there was nothing after death, you turn into dirt. Knowing that, would you live your life differently? Your religion dictates how you run your life pretty much, but if it means nothing, what would you do?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:35:34 PM EDT
[#1]
In the event of such a thing being true, the only reason for life would be the legacy you leave behind you.   It does not change the existance of morality or ethics.  

Even if there is no life after this one, It is our responsability to our children to provide them with the best world that we can.   For in them, we will live forever.

They are our Future, our legacy, our immortality.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I would not be posting in a religion forum.

Other than that I guess not much else would change other than trying not to displease my heavenly Father.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:33:41 PM EDT
[#3]
If that were true, humanity would have died out.  If everyone knew that after life there was nothing, the only logical conclusion to draw is that the whole thing would be pointless.  Who would go through all this for nothing?

-grommet
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:42:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If that were true, humanity would have died out.  If everyone knew that after life there was nothing, the only logical conclusion to draw is that the whole thing would be pointless.  Who would go through all this for nothing?

-grommet

interesting point. I was thinking maybe some people would be like "hey theres no rules or consequences im gonna do whatever the fuck i want!" and live your life to fullest possible pleasure/enjoyment
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

-grommet

I don't believe humanity would die out if it was somehow "proven" that there is no higher power or after life.  

All other species seem to keep replenishing themselves and they have no concept of heaven or hell.  They simply have an innate drive to reproduce and ensure future generations survive just as humans do.

But then again Carl Sagan once admitted to the Dali Lama that he could find no way to scientifically prove there is no god and I consider him one of the smartest human beings to ever walk the planet.  (Notice I said Smartest not Greatest)
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I live my life by treating other people how I want to be treated,  that happens to go along with my religion.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Tough one christ0ph,

Not knowing a life without my fathers guidance, I wouldn't know
how I would act exactly.

I would think that nature would take over, and if that was the case...

You could call me monkey boy

Perhaps, dung beetle guy

Maybe donky man.

It is obvious to me that my father has better plans for me.

I never met an animal that has enjoyed a red sunrise or a
pink sunset as much as I have.

Somethings are reserved for us.

I guess I haven't really "answered" your question because it is
inconceivable to me.

GM

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:33:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Well judging by history of every city or country that has been taken over by people who think that God either doesn't exist or doesn't really care what we do about our lives.... I'd say, the score card so far is that men with power who think that man is IT, and there isn't anything to report to at the end of it all.... end up as tyrants.

Now, you maybe not. It's like alcohol. I drink, I don't get drunk and violent. Other folk can't hold liquor at all...they drink till drunk then start fights.

Same with power, fame, money... lots of people can't control themselves... if there was no ultimate accountability except their own sense of proportion...they'd go hog wild. In fact, those types of people HAVE gone hog wild since the dawn of history. Otherwise explain to me why some wars were fought, why men enslaved nations when they could have left well enough alone?

Why risk death when a life of leisure was available and you really don't need that extra town or province after all?

The reality of evil - of evil men doing insane things when given half a chance tells me that if most people in positions of power became atheists, we'd all be in a world of hurt.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Take any component of reality and change it and people would live their lives differently.
Put people in a different city, different country, raise taxes, lower them, make the world flat, move the moon out of orbit, eliminate all gun laws, etc. etc. etc.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:20:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I would live exactly the same way.  Being a good, ethical human being is all we can aim at regardless of a life after death(in which I do not believe).  We can leave a legacy in our children and their decendants.  If we teach them to value the Good, the True and the Beautiful that is enough.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
.....at the end of this one,  there was nothing after death, you turn into dirt. Knowing that, would you live your life differently? Your religion dictates how you run your life pretty much, but if it means nothing, what would you do?

I would say that the idea of life being meaningless without an afterlife is a pretty lame way to live your life.

If there is nothing after, then what we do here in our limited time is infinitely more important.  

Nothing would change for me as that is roughly my belief now.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#12]
yes...yes I would.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:55:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
.....what would you do?

It would be easier to ask what wouldnt I do.

Shok
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:55:22 AM EDT
[#14]
It occurs to me this question is just as easily turned around, to ask would you live your differently that upon dying you found that is a God and you are now standing before Him facing judgement.

Unbelievers are taking the ultimate risk that there is no God or that there God is a benovelent one who will forgive and forget a sinful life. The price for a secular hedonist life is eternal damnation.

For me the premise of this thread is a non sequitur in that I cann't even except the concept that there is no God or afterlife.  However, I strongly believe that not only is there a God, but that God is merciful offering eternal salvation to those that accept Christ as their personal saviour.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:02:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It occurs to me this question is just as easily turned around, to ask would you live your differently that upon dying you found that is a God and you are now standing before Him facing judgement.

Nope, I'm not one to cry over spilt milk.

If I knew God existed now, it wouldn't change my behaviour, only my lack of belief in God.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:56:23 AM EDT
[#16]
I live my life trying to be a good person and help people.  I do this not out of a fear of god, but because it feels good to do so.

I went through a stage in my teens where I lied a whole lot and generally wasn't a very good person.  It complicated things, there were massive amounts of drama, I was miserable.

Being a good person makes me happy.

If you are going through the motions of what you think a good person would do, just to get into heaven, are you really a righteous person?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:35:32 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Unbelievers are taking the ultimate risk that there is no God or that there God is a benovelent one who will forgive and forget a sinful life. The price for a secular hedonist life is eternal damnation.

For me the premise of this thread is a non sequitur in that I cann't even except the concept that there is no God or afterlife.  However, I strongly believe that not only is there a God, but that God is merciful offering eternal salvation to those that accept Christ as their personal saviour.

The fallacy here is that you are also taking a risk by essentially guessing that your religion is the correct one.  It's also incorrect to assume that one who doesn't get on his knees every Sunday and worship something is a hedonist or a bad person. Besides, according to the Bible you can live an entire life in utter sin and if you repent at the last moment heaven will rejoice more over you than the guy who never missed a day of church.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:32:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
... For in them (our children), we will live forever.

They are our Future, our legacy, our immortality.

<assuming no afterlife>
I strongly disagree. According to what we know of the universe and science there is little or no chance of organic life on earth existing for eternity.

the universe is in a cyclic change between potential and kinetic energy.  All that we know will be destroyed when this galaxy goes away. nothing you do or say will have any impact whatsoever.

Essentially, everything you do, and everything your children do is meaningless and a waste of time.

I would shoot myself.  Life would be absolutely worthless. There would be nothing worth fighting for, nothing worth working for, and no reason to care about anything.
</assuming no afterlife>
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#19]
That's some scary thinking.

When existance ceases to exist then what?

But then again wouldn't eternity be boring?

Philosophy sucks. Being able to think about thought is man kinds biggest blessing and curse. I'd rather be a Dodo bird
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Paul addressed that very question in 1Cor 15 . . . the short answer is, IF that were true the logical course is to eat, drink and be merry.

But the bottom line for Paul was, it AIN'T true . . . "Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord."

Besides, following God's ways gives us rewards in this life. Even the Jews of the Old Testament were blessed by following God's commandments. To know and follow God's word is to have instruction on how to live. We save ourselves a lot of heartache by avoiding evil in our lives. God's path is the one that leads away from evil.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:37:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
That's some scary thinking.

When existance ceases to exist then what?

But then again wouldn't eternity be boring?

The idea that the soul goes out of existance is contained in the Bible.

Eze 18:4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

The understanding of life and death that is most often taught in religion implies two kinds of immortality — you live forever in heaven or you live forever in a hole in the ground. But that's not what Paul said. He said that man was MORTAL. He had to PUT ON immortality:

1Co 15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

Even Jesus said that the choice was eternal life or perish (John 3:16). When a tomato perishes it doesn't live forever in torment. It goes out of existance. The scriptures speak of eternal  punishment, not eternal torment. To go out of existence is an eternal punishment. Eternal torment would not be in keeping with a God that hates an unjust balance.

Here's a couple more on the condition of the "dead."

Ec 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

Ec 9:10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

Isa 26:14 They are dead, they shall not live; they are deceased, they shall not rise: therefore hast thou visited and destroyed them, and made all their memory to perish.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:16:09 PM EDT
[#23]

The understanding of life and death that is most often taught in religion implies two kinds of immortality — you live forever in heaven

What's heaven? Earth like scenarios? Are we in human form? I for one love drinking buy wouldn't exactly like to spend eternity drunk.
Eternity is long.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:56:52 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
No

Right is still right and wrong is still wrong.

+1. When I was convinced there was no god, I didn't suddenly abandon my morality. Morality doesn't come from God, it comes from being aware of your humanity, and caring about preserving it.

I live as if there is a God watching over me, yet I prepare for the reality that I might be wrong. I trust that there is a god, but I'll never be sure until we meet. Either way, I am not afraid of what might be the outcome. A well led life is not a waste, even if it's just lights out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top