Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2005 10:23:51 AM EDT
Are there any other Primitive Baptists here on Arfcom?  As long as I've been here, one would think I would know if I had any kindred of like faith and order here.  I don't ever recall anyone else mentioning it... but there are a lot of new members these days and this forum is still relatively new, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

So, any Old School, Primitive, or - dare I say it - Hard Shell   Baptists in the room besides yours truly?

- Before the inevitable questions from those unfamiliar:  www.pb.org
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#1]

Hi!  

Independent Baptist here.   So do you guys really use the 1611 Authorized version or the 1769 version like most everyone else.

Shok
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:32:43 PM EDT
[#2]
We use the "modern" KJV like most folks, but not any later versions (NKJV, etc.).
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#3]
***Edited<va-gunnut>***
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#4]
***Edited<va-gunnut>***
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I am what some would call a "reformed" Baptist.

Of course Presbyterians will be at odds of us usng the term "reformed". I think Calvinistic Baptist would be a better description.

ETA read the link. Looks pretty close.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:32:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Read some of your link on your beliefs.

Definitely not one of you.

Not by any stretch.

Dram out
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#8]
thanks for posting the link , i had no idea what a Primitive Baptist believed.
i need to go see how the Independent Baptist believe.

All of the different congregations is kind of mind bogling.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:07:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I am what some would call a "reformed" Baptist.

Of course Presbyterians will be at odds of us usng the term "reformed". I think Calvinistic Baptist would be a better description.

ETA read the link. Looks pretty close.

WB, you might be suprised.  Reformed is reformed as far as I care (currently attending a PCA church).  Presbyterians only seem to differ from Reformed Baptists on church government and paedobaptism, neither of which I can be dogmatic about.

After looking at the Doctrinal Abstract on Salvation available at the  link you posted, HardShell, I noticed a definate corrolary between it's first 5 sections and Calvin's TULIP (this is a good thing, IMHO).  I was also intrigued by the references to the Waldensians elsewhere on the site.

I can't say that I'm an Old School Baptist, but I can certianly call them "brother"!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:17:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:02:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
... So the question is, what is your position on the...uhm...."state of salvation" of Catholics, and others
of other religions that do base their teachings on the Bible.   Mormons, for example.

I have no dog in this fight.  I'm just asking questions and the answers will interest me.

CJ

Fair question, and one where we are much-misunderstood.

We (Primitive Baptists) are most assuredly NOT a "denomination" (I really don't like that term, but you understand what I mean) which believes that only we and those who believe as we do will be in Heaven - God forbid!

We believe that God has a people among every kindred, nation, tongue, and tribe upon the earth.  Regardless of your particular doctrine, we see the visible actions of God in your life here (personal conviction, love/respect for the things of God, being drawn to the church, love of the brethren, etc.) as evidence of His work in your life and that you are a child of God - and we gladly (and thankfully) acknowledge that we don't have a corner on that market!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:07:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
... After looking at the Doctrinal Abstract on Salvation available at the  link you posted, HardShell, I noticed a definate corrolary between it's first 5 sections and Calvin's TULIP (this is a good thing, IMHO).  I was also intrigued by the references to the Waldensians elsewhere on the site.

I can't say that I'm an Old School Baptist, but I can certianly call them "brother"!

Sounds good, Brother!

And yes, even though we are not technically Calvinists the example of TULIP is used by many of our preachers from timer to time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top