Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2005 4:50:26 AM EDT

The state of California adopted new textbooks that clarify Jewish issues. Elementary and middle school social studies books were adopted last week.

Soon sixth graders in the most populous American state will learn that Romans, not Jews, crucified Jesus; that the biblical Exodus commerates national liberation, not Jewish tribal unity; and that the Jewish God is a God of justice and mercy, not just reward and punishment.

These are some of nearly 1,000 edits and corrections textbook publishers have agreed to make in their instructional materials as a condition for adoption by California.

At its meeting november 9th, the school board voted unanimously to adopt the 10 publishers' educational programs, including textbooks and related materials, and rejected two.

About one-fifth of the nearly one thousand edits were put forward by the Institute for Curriculum Services, a project of the San Francisco Jewish Community Relations Council, which spent months reviewing all twelve proposed programs for bias against Judaism or inaccuracies in their depiction of Jewish history.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 7:39:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice, and about time to bring forth the reality of Judaism from the bonds of institutionalized ignorance.  

Ed
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 7:10:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 11/20/2005 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#3]
The Jewish people were responsible for the crucifixtion of Jesus, but I don't see why that is a big deal.  If he didn't die the gentiles would never have been able to go to heaven.  

People who see that as negative are ignorant.

If it weren't for an angry and uncontrolable mob, Pilot would never have washed his hands of the matter and lent his men to do whatever they saw fit.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2005 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Uhhh. But the Jews did crusify Jesus. If they had not then there would be no sacrifice. Jesus' death by the Jews was fortold by the Jews, and it HAD to be that way or there would be no salvation.
God Bless Israel!
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Other posters said it better.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 4:29:22 AM EDT
[#6]
What schoolchild in America doesn't know that it was the Romans who crucified Jesus?

(At the instigation of the Jews!)

"What benefit did the Athenians obtain by putting Socrates to death? Famine and plague came upon them as judgment for their crime. Or, the people of Samos for burning Pythagoras?  In one moment their country was covered with sand.  Or the Jews by murdering their wise king?...After that their kingdom was abolished.  God rightly avenged these men...The wise king...Lived on in the teachings he enacted." ~ letter of Mara Barsarapion, 73 AD.

History's a bitch, ain't she?

Eric The(Hysterical)Hun
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 4:57:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
.  Or the Jews by murdering their wise king?...After that their kingdom was abolished.  God rightly avenged these men...The wise king...Lived on in the teachings he enactedHistory's a bitch, ain't she?

Eric The(Hysterical)Hun

Your king maybe but not ours.

What kingdom???  We were living under Roman occupation.

I guess the fact that they are teaching in California that we did not crucify him must really get your panties in a bunch.

Today California, tomorrow the world!

Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:24:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No, Our King, both yours and mine, whether you admit it or not!

And this Syrian fellow sure knew that it was the Jew's King Who was mudered by them!

What kingdom???  We were living under Roman occupation.

Well, it may not have been as much of a Kingdom as you or they would have wished, but it was a 'kingdom' nevertheless, and one that they richly deserved after the intrigue and misconduct of the latter Hasmoneans.

I guess the fact that they are teaching in California that we did not crucify him must really get your panties in a bunch.

Not at all.

A Roman Procurator, who had the ius gladii over the Suffering Servant, could have just as easily freed the Prisoner as to have ordered His crucifixion.

But he succumbed to the Jewish crowds chant 'Thou art no friend of Caesar', which, coming at this particular time in Roman History....(read about it, if you wish)...was not a good thing to have said about you!

So, what happened?

I think we all know....

And when, as was most fitting - since he [Pilate] could not have understood it - Jesus returned no answer, the feelings of the Roman became only the more intense. Would he not speak; did He not know that he had absolute power 'to release or to crucify' Him?  Nay, not absolute power - all power came from above; but the guilt in the abuse of power was far greater on the part of apostate Israel and its leaders, who knew whence power came, and to Whom they were responsible for its exercise.

So spake not an impostor; so spake not an ordinary man - after such sufferings and in such circumstances - to one who, whencesoever derived, had the power of life or death over Him. And Pilate felt it - the more keenly, for his cynicism and disbelief of all that was higher. And the more earnestly did he now seek to release Him. But, proportionately, the louder and fiercer was the cry of the Jews for His Blood, till they threatened to implicate in the charge of rebellion against Cæsar the Governor himself, if he persisted in unwonted mercy.

Such danger a Pilate would never encounter. He sat down once more in the judgment-seat, outside the Prætorium, in the place called 'Pavement,' and, from its outlook over the City, 'Gabbatha,' 'the rounded height.' So solemn is the transaction that the Evangelist pauses to note once more the day - nay, the very hour, when the process had commenced. It had been the Friday in Passover-week, and between six and seven of the morning. And at the close Pilate once more in mockery presented to them Jesus: 'Behold your King!' Once more they called for His Crucifixion - and, when again challenged, the chief priests burst into the cry, which preceded Pilate's final sentence, to be presently executed: 'We have no king but Cæsar!'

With this cry Judaism was, in the person of its representatives, guilty of denial of God, of blasphemy, of apostasy. It committed suicide; and, ever since, has its dead body been carried in show from land to land, and from century to century: to be dead, and to remain dead, till He come a second time, Who is the Resurrection and the Life!

From Alfred Edersheim, The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah,  Book V, Chapter 14 (1883)

Today California, tomorrow the world!

Sorry, the Dieux already covers the World.

Your time has come and gone, and will not return again, until 'Ye say, Blessed is He Who comes in the Name of the Lord.'

And there's very, very little to laugh at, over the intervening 2,000 years, I would say.

Eric The(WiseBeyondHisEars)Hun
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:28:22 AM EDT
[#9]
<sarcasm>

...and here I thought this was going to be a thread about "Jews for Jesus"...

</sarcasm>

Link Posted: 11/21/2005 7:30:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Tag for later.  I need to properly compose my thoughts first.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 8:18:53 AM EDT
[#11]
The execution of Jesus was performed by the Romans.  This much is true.  His arrest and the accusations brought against him, however, were the responsibility of the Jewish leadership called the Sanhedrin.  So, to say that the Romans were responsible for Jesus' death is a half-truth.

It is fascinating to look over the glaringly illegal activities of the Sanhedrin in that arrest and trial.  Here are a handful of examples of how the Sanhedrin broke Jewish law.

1.  The arrest and trial of Jesus by the Jewish leadership was conducted at night, which was expressly forbidden by Jewish law.

2.  Jesus was privately examined by both Annas and Caiaphas, which was expressly forbidden by Jewish law.

3.  It was illegal to conduct legal proceedings on the eve of the Sabbath.

4.  It was illegal to try a person of a capital offense and give judgement within one day.  Capital offence required at least two days of proceedings to be legal.

5.  "Turning state's evidence" was illegal by Jewish law.  That means that the use of a traitor (Judas), and thereby an accomplice, was illegal.

Etc, etc, etc.

Walter M. Chandler lays out very well the illegality of the proceedings against Jesus.

Then, when the Sanhedrin had Jesus brought to Pilate for execution, the charge they presented was treason.  Very interesting.  They arrested Jesus out of a desire to convict him of blasphemy, but presented him to the Romans on charges of treason.  Essentially, the Sanhedrin was guilty of bearing false witness.

This means that Jesus was executed because of the false witness of Jewish leadership.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just an aside:  I do not hold "the Jews" responsible for Jesus' death.  The Sanhedrin was responsible, and those involved have long since gone the way of the earth.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 2:12:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Quoted:

No . he is all yours.  Jews did not accept him then and will not now.

Your time has come and gone, and will not return again,

Wishful thinking on your part, it has always been about the Jews and always will be, Christians are irrelevant

'Ye say, Blessed is He Who comes in the Name of the Lord.'

And the donkey he rode in on.

And there's very, very little to laugh at, over the intervening 2,000 years, I would say.

That would depend on your sense of humor.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#13]
The Jews did not do anything to Jesus. Some Jews had the Romans crucify him.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 2:22:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Your time has come and gone, and will not return again,

Wishful thinking on your part, it has always been about the Jews and always will be, Christians are irrelevant

'Ye say, Blessed is He Who comes in the Name of the Lord.'

And the donkey he rode in on.

For me, this is a classic example of why the last will be first and the first will be last.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 4:07:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Why argue over who hammered the nails or who provoked the incident. It was Gods will and any arguing is arguing against Gods sovereign choice.

Sorry fort the hijack OldGuy
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Some large number of Jews accepted Him back then as the Messiah, some Jews accept Him so now, and all Jews will accept Him when He returns.

Well, if Zechariah is to be believed!

Originally posted by Ertic The Hun:
Your time has come and gone, and will not return again

Behold, your house is left unto you desolate!

Your Temple is no more. Your priests scattered to the four corners of the earth.

This is Judgment, my friend.

You'd have to have a very sardonic snse of humor to find the last 2,000 years very funny.

Eric The(SonOfAbraham)Hun
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 4:46:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Notzrim
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Notzrim

DITTO!
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Some large number of Jews accepted Him back then as the Messiah, some Jews accept Him so now, and all Jews will accept Him when He returns.

As you are so fond of saying Bullshite, Christianity appeals to pagans, did then does now.

Not for long.

Your Temple is no more. Your priests scattered to the four corners of the earth.

Again, not for long.

Think so?

You'd have to have a very sardonic snse of humor to find the last 2,000 years very funny.

Perhaps.

Abraham had many sons, Issac is the one that matters.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

As you are so fond of saying Bullshite, Christianity appeals to pagans, did then does now.

Your command of the history of the First Century in Palestine is certainly as weak as your grasp of the Hebrew Scriptures!

Jews were the very First Christians.

Originally posted vy Eric The Hun:

Not for long.

Let's see...it's been 2,400 years since the Prophets heard from the Lord.....  

It's been 57 years since Israel became a nation (Thank you, President Truman!)....

It's been 38 years since Israel obtained possession of the Old City of Jerusalem and the Temple Mount...

And still no Temple? No priesthood? No nothing?

Again, not for long.

'Long' must have a special meaning in Hebrew.

In English, 2,400 years would be considered a 'long time.'

Originally posted by Eric The Hun:

Think so?

Yes, indeed I do.

Call it 'the luck of the Jews', or whatever.

It's still pretty grim.

Yes, Issac was my great, great, great....(well who knows how many generations)...grandfather!

And that's all that matters!

Eric The(FulfilledJew)Hun
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Your command of the history of the First Century in Palestine is certainly as weak as your grasp of the Hebrew Scriptures!

No, it is not.

Jews were the very First Christians.

Put away the Edersheim and try Bart Ehrman.

Let's see...it's been 2,400 years since the Prophets heard from the Lord.....

Give or take, so?

It's been 57 years since Israel became a nation (Thank you, Holy One of Israel.]

It's been 38 years since Israel obtained possession of the Old City of Jerusalem and the Temple Mount...

So?
And still no Temple? No priesthood? No nothing?

Again, so?'

Long' must have a special meaning in Hebrew.

As a matter of fact, it does.

So, how long has it been since anyone heard from the nazzerene?
.'

There is no such thing as luck.

It's still pretty grim.

Yes, Issac was my great, great, great....(well who knows how many generations)...grandfather!

Sure he was.

Eric The(FulfilledJew)Hun

That precious!
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

A lot more recently than y'all have heard from the Voice of Heaven.

You simply mean that y'all have none.

Ergo, the old saying!

Eric The(PreciousAndFulfilled)Hun
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 3:19:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot more recently than y'all have heard from the Voice of Heaven.

You simply mean that y'all have none.

No, I meant exactly what I said, there is no such thing as luck.

Eric The(PreciousAndFulfilled)Hun

Precious for sure, full of what is obvious.

Link Posted: 11/22/2005 3:55:21 AM EDT
[#24]
What does it say about the USS Liberty incident?  
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 8:42:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

___

I don't know if that topic is addressed in the revised texts, though since you brought the topic up....  

The tragic assault by Israeli forces during the Six Day War in 1967 on an American vessel, the USS Liberty, has been a source of controversy and conspiracy theories since it occurred. Several government investigations have concluded that the attack, in which 34 American servicemen were killed and many more injured, was carried out in error. Furthermore, every piece of information declassified to date - most recently in June 2004 - has supported this conclusion.

Much of this information is available to anyone with an Internet connection. Nonetheless, many continue to allege that Israel attacked the Liberty knowing that it was an American ship and that they were killing American servicemen. For detractors of Israel, the incident - and the alleged U.S. government cover-up that followed - powerfully demonstrates the treachery and power of the Jewish State and its American supporters. The story, told from this perspective, has become a propaganda tool to undermine the legitimacy of Israel.

This article debunks the leading conspiracy theories suggesting that Israel acted malevolently.

Background

On June 8, 1967, during the Six Day War, Israeli war planes and torpedo boats attacked the USS Liberty, an intelligence gathering ship, while it was on a surveillance mission off the shores of El Arish, in the Sinai Peninsula. 34 Americans died and 171 were injured. Israel claimed it mistook the Liberty for an enemy vessel. Several Israeli and U.S. investigations corroborated that claim.

In 1999, moreover, a National Security Agency report from 1981 was released claiming that "the tragedy resulted not only from Israeli miscalculation but also from faulty U.S. communications practices." Since July 2003, this report has been available on the NSA Web site accompanied by a recording of radio communications between Israeli pilots made by a U.S. spy plane on the scene throughout the episode.

The NSA report and other documents declassified since the incident - including a trove of government materials released in January 2004 - support findings that the bombing was a case of mistaken identity. Some of the different investigations and their conclusions are listed below.

The most thorough non-governmental treatment of the bombing is A. Jay Cristol's The Liberty Incident (2002). Cristol, a U.S. bankruptcy judge and former U.S. Navy lawyer, concludes that "the totality of evidence establishes that the attack on the USS Liberty was a tragic case of mistaken identity that resulted from a compounding of bad mistakes perpetrated by both the United States and Israel, and nothing more." He analyzes, and meticulously debunks, previous books, articles and TV productions that argue that the attack was intentional and government investigations only cover-ups.

http://www.adl.org/Israel/uss.asp

Feel free to flame about conspiracy theories!  

Ed  

Link Posted: 11/23/2005 11:50:59 AM EDT
[#26]
The USS Liberty tragedy has nothing to do with Judaism, but with Israel.

There is a difference, you know.

Eric The(Sensible)Hun
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 6:34:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

___

I don't know if that topic is addressed in the revised texts, though since you brought the topic up....  

The tragic assault by Israeli forces during the Six Day War in 1967 on an American vessel, the USS Liberty, has been a source of controversy and conspiracy theories since it occurred. Several government investigations have concluded that the attack, in which 34 American servicemen were killed and many more injured, was carried out in error. Furthermore, every piece of information declassified to date - most recently in June 2004 - has supported this conclusion.

Much of this information is available to anyone with an Internet connection. Nonetheless, many continue to allege that Israel attacked the Liberty knowing that it was an American ship and that they were killing American servicemen. For detractors of Israel, the incident - and the alleged U.S. government cover-up that followed - powerfully demonstrates the treachery and power of the Jewish State and its American supporters. The story, told from this perspective, has become a propaganda tool to undermine the legitimacy of Israel.

This article debunks the leading conspiracy theories suggesting that Israel acted malevolently.

Background

On June 8, 1967, during the Six Day War, Israeli war planes and torpedo boats attacked the USS Liberty, an intelligence gathering ship, while it was on a surveillance mission off the shores of El Arish, in the Sinai Peninsula. 34 Americans died and 171 were injured. Israel claimed it mistook the Liberty for an enemy vessel. Several Israeli and U.S. investigations corroborated that claim.

In 1999, moreover, a National Security Agency report from 1981 was released claiming that "the tragedy resulted not only from Israeli miscalculation but also from faulty U.S. communications practices." Since July 2003, this report has been available on the NSA Web site accompanied by a recording of radio communications between Israeli pilots made by a U.S. spy plane on the scene throughout the episode.

The NSA report and other documents declassified since the incident - including a trove of government materials released in January 2004 - support findings that the bombing was a case of mistaken identity. Some of the different investigations and their conclusions are listed below.

The most thorough non-governmental treatment of the bombing is A. Jay Cristol's The Liberty Incident (2002). Cristol, a U.S. bankruptcy judge and former U.S. Navy lawyer, concludes that "the totality of evidence establishes that the attack on the USS Liberty was a tragic case of mistaken identity that resulted from a compounding of bad mistakes perpetrated by both the United States and Israel, and nothing more." He analyzes, and meticulously debunks, previous books, articles and TV productions that argue that the attack was intentional and government investigations only cover-ups.

http://www.adl.org/Israel/uss.asp

Feel free to flame about conspiracy theories!  

Ed  

Always good to hear the other side. All I know is that it sucks for the guys on the Liberty and the pilots wo fired at it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Opps! Just a tragic mistake!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Now they just have to correct the info on the "holocaust".
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:09:25 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Now they just have to correct the info on the "holocaust".

___

So many rednecks...so little time.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#31]

When are they going to correct the part where farmers are blamed for all soil erosion and water pollution?  I read that when I was a kid and it was still in a schoolbook I browsed through last year.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Who's blamed for what?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top