Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2005 8:37:14 PM EDT
Matthew 5:43  "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your friends, hate your enemies.'
44  But now I tell you: love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Check out: A Christian Warrior looks at Matthew 5:43-44

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:19:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I think Gabe is a really decent guy. Several 'names' in the training industry, have a definite bias against him. But I have, on the three occasions that I've trained with him, found him to be gracious, personable and a man of integrity.

His thoughts on the subject are pretty much right on the money.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:05:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Gabe Suarez is way off on this topic.  Gabe was correct to point out that when the bible address brothers or brethren they are addressing Christians and fellow Jews.  However it all goes down hill from there.

Romans 12:9  Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

You can't abhor (literally hate) something or someone, and yet love them.  To think that you somehow can, is a 20th century invention.

God might hate sin but without a doubt God doesn't hate anyone.  Jesus ministered to sinners, tax collectors, lepers, Jews, Gentiles, etc..  John 3:16 God so loved the world...God loves Jews, Gentiles, Hitler, you, and me.  To assert that abhoring evil means to abhor evil-doers and hate evil-doers is absolutely wrong and unbiblical.  Gabe Suarez doesnt draw the distinction between evil and evil-doers and Christians should hold sin in contempt but love the sinner.  In our own lives we should abhor that which is evil and cleave to that which is good.  Do no evil, hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil but be filled with the Spirit.

Shok
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:17:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I have to disagree with him on this.

Christ himself prayed for his executioners as he hung dying on the cross.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:54:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I was looking at the Suarez stuff from a different angle. Maybe because I have spoken with him on the subject.

Given what Gabe does for a living, I think he is making a case for the use of deadly force in a defensive situation, not really hating evildoers as a philosophy of life. The primary focus of any self-defense situation is to stop the threat. I have heard people shirk the responsibility for self-defense on the grounds that 'I'm ready to go and my heart is right with God, maybe his (evildoer, thief, etc.) isn't.' I think Gabe's thoughts are a counter to that philosophy.

Then again maybe I'm dead wrong. That was just my initial impression.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:14:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was looking at the Suarez stuff from a different angle. Maybe because I have spoken with him on the subject.

Given what Gabe does for a living, I think he is making a case for the use of deadly force in a defensive situation, not really hating evildoers as a philosophy of life. The primary focus of any self-defense situation is to stop the threat. I have heard people shirk the responsibility for self-defense on the grounds that 'I'm ready to go and my heart is right with God, maybe his (evildoer, thief, etc.) isn't.' I think Gabe's thoughts are a counter to that philosophy.

Then again maybe I'm dead wrong. That was just my initial impression.

Reading it again from a self-defense angle I can see his point and it makes more sense but overall its still off base IMHO.  I do like his point about the definition of brothers/brethren I'm glad huntwarrior posted it.

Thanks,

Shok
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top