Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2005 9:15:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#1]
He is telling the truth.

When one becomes a Christian, many will become divided against you. I have lost many so called friends, and even some family members who now hate my choice. I love God more than them and it burns them up.

He was not one to sugar coat the truth and preach happy warm fuzzies like many of todays preachers. He told us what to expect and what not to assume. If He were to tell us we will always be in peace and our families and friends would respect our faith and  if we followed Him, He would then be a liar.

Jesus shows how to preach, no sugar coating, just the honest truth and what was to be expected if we chose to follow Him. Many people have lost families over their faith.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
He is telling the truth.

When one becomes a Christian, many will become divided against you. I have lost many so called friends, and even some family members who now hate my choice. I love God more than them and it burns them up.

He was not one to sugar coat the truth and preach happy warm fuzzies like many of todays preachers. He told us what to expect and what not to assume. If He were to tell us we will always be in peace and our families and friends would respect our faith and  if we followed Him, He would then be a liar.

Jesus shows how to preach, no sugar coating, just the honest truth and what was to be expected if we chose to follow Him. Many people have lost families over their faith.

+1.

the very notion of 'one way, and only one way, to come to the Father' was bound to be a virtual sword.

We have seen it act as such here at ARFCOM.

I have lost close real-life friends over my faith - interestingly, all of the real-life friends I have 'lost' claim to be Christians - in a very shallow sense of the word.

As always, Jesus meant exactly what He said.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:22:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I find it interesting that Jesus talks about "peace on earth".  He came to send personal peace of heart, not peace to the world.

As has been well stated by WildBoar and Arowneragain, the merely acceptance Jesus as one's Savior and following Him is enough to make one the subject of severe persecution.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:44:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I find it interesting that Jesus talks about "peace on earth".  He came to send personal peace of heart, not peace to the world.

As has been well stated by WildBoar and Arowneragain, the merely acceptance Jesus as one's Savior and following Him is enough to make one the subject of severe persecution.

Though on the flip-side, as a Jew, merely following the Jewish tradition may also make one the subject of severe persecution.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:19:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Though on the flip-side, as a Jew, merely following the Jewish tradition may also make one the subject of severe persecution.  

History attests to this.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:23:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

History attests to this.

Yes it does. No doubt about it.

Reminds me of something from "Fiddler on the Roof".  The main character said something to the effect of, "I know, I know.  We are your chosen people...but would it be so bad if you chose someone else now and then?"
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
He is telling the truth.

+1.

the very notion of 'one way, and only one way, to come to the Father' was bound to be a virtual sword.

We have seen it act as such here at ARFCOM.

I have lost close real-life friends over my faith - interestingly, all of the real-life friends I have 'lost' claim to be Christians - in a very shallow sense of the word.

As always, Jesus meant exactly what He said.

You must be doing something wrong,cause you can't lose what you never had!!

If they were real friends they wouldn't have left you because of your beliefs!!!

Maybe you just kept pounding on them like you do here,maybe they just got tired of hearing scripture verses actions(do you live the christian life?)

Don't really know you or how you live your real-time life,so am just throwing out suggestions of how you might wittness better!!!

Any body ever come up to you and say hey I really like your attitude,the way you are allways there to help anybody anytime?

Just how do you find time to be so helpful to everyone in the community?

And then you say I owe it all to Christ!!  Then YADDA  YADDA!

Is that the way it's supposed to work?

Bob
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:08:04 AM EDT
[#8]

....and following Him is enough to make one the subject of severe persecution.

You have got to hear some of the things I have heard from people who have found out that I am going to seminary....It is amazing the thoughts they let come out of their mouths.

"Why?" "Are you crazy?" "You really do not believe that stuff do you?"

But Jesus saw it coming. Look at the imprisonment, and the torture early Church founders went through.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You must be doing something wrong,cause you can't lose what you never had!!

If they were real friends they wouldn't have left you because of your beliefs!!!

Maybe you just kept pounding on them like you do here,maybe they just got tired of hearing scripture verses actions(do you live the christian life?)

Don't really know you or how you live your real-time life,so am just throwing out suggestions of how you might wittness better!!!

Any body ever come up to you and say hey I really like your attitude,the way you are allways there to help anybody anytime?

Just how do you find time to be so helpful to everyone in the community?

And then you say I owe it all to Christ!!  Then YADDA  YADDA!

Is that the way it's supposed to work?

Bob

That was probably not directed at me but I will offer my take.

I never hounded anyone that I know. I just started to try to live as I should and folks took notice. I told them why and they started to get hostile, after a bit they realized I was serious and they pulled back a bit.

It was my unbelieveing friends and family that were getting all preachy and confrontational about my decision. I confronted none of them. I figured I wuld judt live as I should and if asked I will give reason. Unfortunately the few so called friends I had that didnt respect my decision were not friends to begin with I guess. I always thought friends respected each others choices and beliefs. I guess not.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top