Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2005 6:25:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:15:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Indeed.  And, I would add, to show regard by reading it everyday.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:27:41 AM EDT
[#2]
MAybe the Jewish folks can answer.

Are their scrolls very old or fragile? Hrad to manufacture.

I as because the reason you wont see  some Christains rushing into get a bible out of the water is because its a mass produced book and easy to replace. The church I go to does not have any old hard to replace artifacts so this thing is new to me.

Are the scrolls pretty hard to replace?

Not trying to flame, just wondering. Here for the info.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#3]
The Oracles.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:03:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:09:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Yep.

Romans 3

[1] What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision?
[2] Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I think I read somewher that they had to bath everytime they wrote G-d. Not the average Jew but those who made the scrools?

Probably wrong and dont mind being corrected as long as it doesnt contain the Antichristian jabs some love to toss out every now and then.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:04:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I think I read somewher that they had to bath everytime they wrote G-d. Not the average Jew but those who made the scrools?

Probably wrong and dont mind being corrected as long as it doesnt contain the Antichristian jabs some love to toss out every now and then.

Jews use what is called a Mikvah, a ritual pool. And yes a Sopher, one who is a ritual scribe, will immerse before he writes the name of G-d.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:10:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The Torah is what you and I might call the old testament

Not to be confused with the TALMUD, which is a collection of "commentaries" and rabbinical teachings over the centuries.  Important, perhaps, but not considered scripture

Which is why we can trust our current Bibles.  When the dead sea scrolls (dated to the first century AD) were found in the fifties (?) they were compared to the current scriptures in use and found to be virtually identical.  In the places that they differed, it was insignificant- like having a "for" in place of "because"

God gave the scriptues to the jews and they have been faithful in preserving them for thousands of years.  

As a Christian, I say thank you.

Actualy, You have confused the Tanak and the Torah. The Tanak is what you would call the "Old Testament. The Torah is the first five books.

While Christianity does not consider the Talmud authorative, it is a false assertion to make such a statement that would encompass Judaism as well.  Parts of the Talmud are very much so the word of G-d To traditional Judaism.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:10:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jews use what is called a Mikvah, a ritual pool. And yes a Sopher, one who is a ritual scribe, will immerse before he writes the name of G-d.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:22:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Which is why we can trust our current Bibles.  When the dead sea scrolls (dated to the first century AD) were found in the fifties (?) they were compared to the current scriptures in use and found to be virtually identical.  In the places that they differed, it was insignificant- like having a "for" in place of "because"

Yep, just amazing.

God gave the scriptues to the jews and they have been faithful in preserving them for thousands of years.  

As a Christian, I say thank you.

As do I.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top